S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Fourth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet 2009

Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Fourth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet 2009

The Fourth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet will take place the weekend of June 19-21, 2009. This event is open to all Vintage members, and known Pre-Vints. S2000 ownership is NOT a requirement.

This event is named in honor of our dear friend Tom Curda (AKA Tomcatt), who passed away May 24th, 2006. Rt. 26 was his all-time favorite driving roads.

This meet is about two things:

Friendship:

Many of us have remarked on the friendships that started with the purchase of this car and participation in this forum. Many of these friendships have continued throughout life's twists and turns, and have transcended the actual ownership of the car. Everyone at the Tomcatt meet is a friend, whether we've known each other since the beginning of S2KI, or we'll only get to know you the day of the meet.

The Drive:

Ohio Route 26, from Cambridge to Marietta, Ohio, previously one of Car & Driver's 10 best drives in the USA, consists of 80 miles of twisties and elevation changes; perfect for the S2000. You will enjoy driving through rural areas complete with rivers, forests, farms and covered bridges. For the past two years, we have also added Ohio Rt. 555 to our day's drive. This is a spectacular rollercoaster of a road, much of it recently repaved. We'll revisit the same route this year as we did the past two years. Our drive will take up most of the day on Saturday: 7 hours, 215 miles, 2 rest stops, a lunch break, and one stop for gas. If you like to challenge your car and yourself, and enjoy the sound of VTEC then this is the drive for you! If you like to get your heart pumping when behind the wheel, then this drive will not disappoint. Expect to drive the way this car was meant to be driven!

For those who are looking for a more moderate drive, this year we will have also have a Touring drive group. While the Spirited group takes on Rt. 555 on Saturday morning, a more scenic, parallel route will be taken by the Touring group. After lunch, both groups will experience Rt. 26 on the way back to the hotel.

Marietta, Ohio will be our home base. Arrive on Friday, drive on Saturday, party Saturday evening, head homeward on Sunday.

Hotel:

I have reserved a block of 20 rooms at the Hampton Inn in Marietta for Friday, June 19th & Saturday, June 20th. The phone number is 740-373-5353. When calling for your reservation, tell them you are with yet another Honda group, and our group code is TCR (TomCatt Run). Room cost is $94/night + tax. Most rooms are standard doubles, but folks who call early can request a king ($117), but no guarantees. The block of rooms will be held until May 19th, 2009.

Please post your interest in this thread. A separate drive group thread will be started sometime this winter.

This post will be updated with additional information as the date approaches.

Moderate/Spirited Group
------------------------
spt-s2k +1 (Sam & Carmen) (confirmed)
jukngene +1? (Gene & Bea) (confirmed)
OhioRacer +1 (Carmen and Bryan) (confirmed)
RC - Ryder +1 (John and son, John) (Confirmed)
sailor1533 +1 (Terry & Marcie) (confirmed)
Tachus (Catherine and Alan) (confirmed)
GX2 +1 (Craig & Gloria)
Scooterboy +1 (Dave & Patty) (confirmed)
MDrocket (formerly JointS2k) - Les (confirmed)
canberra +1 (Roy & Carole) (confirmed)

Touring Group:
------------------------
JonasM +1 +2 (Jonas & Virginija & Anika) (confirmed)
valentine +1 (Darlene & Jim) (confirmed)
Jet sitter +1 (Glenn and Carol) (confirmed)
JumpyGuy (Maury) (confirmed)
goblues2k +1 (Dennis & Sue) (confirmed)
tommyra +1 (Tom & Myra) (confirmed)
Matt_in_VA +1 (Matt & Barb) (confirmed)
FLA-Vyk (confirmed)
Ruined 2 (Phil) (confirmed)

(updated June 2 10am)
Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonas, sounds fantastic. I was with you folks in spirit this year and really hope to make it next year. PS - One of the nicest magnets I've seen yet, good job.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:19 AM

You were missed, Maury!

Note the bit this time about "S2000 ownership is NOT a requirement."

JonasM
Old 10-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Hi Jonas, please add me as about 75% at this point

My life is in a bit of a flux at the moment but I would like to attend the event and am putting it on my S calendar.

His death was on my birthday... the year I got my car.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Jonas,

I miss Tom and I miss Route 26. It's really way too early for me to know if I can attend, but I will keep it in mind. If at all possible, I'll be there. Put me down as an if possible. Thanks.

Rob
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM

Maury - putting you down as tentative.

Tadashi - You really need to come to this.

Rob - with our addition of Rt. 555 to the route, you'll agree that this is the most fun meet drive yet. I hope you can make it.

JonasM
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in. I'll combine this with another family visit to Cleveland. The weather should be good by then.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Thank for the headsup, Jonas. I'm in. I may be flying solo, but I'm hoping Jim can make it as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:38 PM

In, tentatively!

Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Woohoo! We almost have 3 times as many people as this year and it's 3/4 year away.

Quick Reply: Fourth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet 2009