S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Free Windows 10? What to do?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:58 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default Free Windows 10? What to do?

I'm now being offered to reserve a free upgrade to Windows 10. I'm getting this offer on my work and home PC with Windows 7, as well as my laptop which has Windows 8.

Is this something I should grab while I can? I don't have issues with Windows 7, and my Windows 8.1 on my laptop is OK too.

Not sure if Windows 10 will complicate matters with some programs, i.e. will other programs I'm using be compatible with 10.

What do those with computer knowledge think of this offer?

And please don't tell me to buy a Mac.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Lainey-

I'll say I haven't been following the Windows stuff too closely. I'm not sure if there's a path to upgrade or not. I went to Microsoft's site: There is this, so it seems valid. http://www.microsoft.com/EN-US/windows

I'd be more curious to understand where the offer is coming from. I've got Win 7 at home and have NEVER seen an offer. So, if you decide to move, I'd make sure it's the legitimate MS offer (use the link above directly) and not some ad/popup that's being driven by a handy dandy spammer in disguise.

Others seem to be much more in tune with the desktop OS's and the changes.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Lainey-

I'll say I haven't been following the Windows stuff too closely. I'm not sure if there's a path to upgrade or not. I went to Microsoft's site: There is this, so it seems valid. http://www.microsoft.com/EN-US/windows

I'd be more curious to understand where the offer is coming from. I've got Win 7 at home and have NEVER seen an offer. So, if you decide to move, I'd make sure it's the legitimate MS offer (use the link above directly) and not some ad/popup that's being driven by a handy dandy spammer in disguise.

Others seem to be much more in tune with the desktop OS's and the changes.
Thanks, Gary.

Took a screen shot of the offer, will post later.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:56 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I've got that offer too
Levi
Old 06-06-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

My understanding is that MS is supplying the Win10 update free of charge as a way to move all devices to a single platform. What I have read is that MS needs to catch up in the handheld device arena and they are using Win10 as that basis. This was their plan with Win8, but the RT variant was a non-starter for many with handheld. I believe, but am not certain, that the WIN10 platform will attempt to be seamless from phone to tab to PC.

I also received this "offer" ion my last update. I will probably go for it.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

The free Windows 10 upgrade start July 29th (IIRC). Anyone signed up within the first year of it's release gets it for free.

I got the offer on all the PCs in the house except for my old XP box in the basement, and accepted on all of them. There's supposed to be a way to only download the installation files (about 3GB) once and install on all PCs in your home; I think detailed info on that is still to be distributed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

If you want to remove the icon from your task tray and stop notifications, you can go to the control panel and manually uninstall "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)”.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I'm now being offered to reserve a free upgrade to Windows 10. I'm getting this offer on my work and home PC with Windows 7, as well as my laptop which has Windows 8.

Is this something I should grab while I can? I don't have issues with Windows 7, and my Windows 8.1 on my laptop is OK too.

Not sure if Windows 10 will complicate matters with some programs, i.e. will other programs I'm using be compatible with 10.

What do those with computer knowledge think of this offer?

And please don't tell me to buy a Mac.
I've been beta testing Windows 10 since the last Alpha. It's considerably more stable and much easier to use than Win 8.1. If you're being offered a free upgrade, ascertain it's a legit offer from MS and then do the upgrade. I've had no problems with the O/S. (Incidentally, I run Win 10 on a Mac in a Virtual Machine so I have the best of both worlds. That way I can goof up something and revert to the previous install without having to go through all the software hoops once again.)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Screen shot of offer if I click on it

My concern is if I'm running a program installed for windows 7 or 8, (At work Sage/Peachtree Accounting) how do I know I won't have issues if I upgrade the operating system? I can check with Sage, but maybe other programs might have issues??

Please answer in easy to understand, not tech talk.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

You'll be able to decide exactly when to actually do the install. You can reserve the free upgrade now, then hold off actually installing it until you get the OK from the software vendor.

If an app runs under 7 or 8, then there should be no issue, but if you're paranoid, you can wait and let others find out for you. You'll have up to a year to actually do the install, as far as I've read.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I've reserved one too. I've noticed over the past couple weeks a couple programs I run have done updates for Win 10 already.(can't remember what one's)
Levi

Quick Reply: Free Windows 10? What to do?