S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Garage Floor Coating

Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Garage Floor Coating

I thought this was an excellent article that compares Pros vs DIY. And, there are numerous opinions and suggestions after it from readers.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...Thursday_May_9
Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I'd love to have my garage floor done, didn't realize it was $2k though. I may have to consider the DIY approach on this one.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a house which had a coated garage. It definitely was professionally done by the previous owner. It is suprisingly durable, even with me dropping car parts (rotors, alternators, etc..) has held up quite well.

Overall I like it, although once after parking and leaving a car in one spot for longer than usual (think I was traveling) it pulled up a small chunk when i moved the car. Very surprised when that happened given on durable it has been otherwise but guess that article explains it.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

A friend of mine, a contractor, told me about the removal of nice commercial carpeting from a real estate office he was rebuilding. I snagged it all and carpeted my garage and shop. 20 years ago. It has help up very well and really keeps the dirt out of the house. Yes, I vacuum the garage. It also is nice to work on cars with a “soft” floor.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

I had hard vinyl tile in my last garage. It is bullet proof and offers some support as the tiles have a open honeycomb pattern underneath. My new garage in my new home is larger and I am going to to install the new soft vinyl tiles in it. They offer more support and insulation yet are just as durable as the hard vinyl. Cost is about 1K with a 28% discount.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with DIY since I had the time and the professional pricing was far more than I wanted to spend. I stripped the old paint off of my garage floor and used the Rustoleum Professional Floor Kit. Thankfully, some of the prep work had been done previously (mechanically prepped which made the paint removal more of a pain) and I only did some acid etching for peace of mind since the devil is in the prep work. After the acid etch, I filled in cracks and concrete damage with epoxy repair putty, and used concrete slicone sealant to fill in the relief cuts in the slab. I applied two coats of base and a coat of clear to finish and used their anti-skid additive to prevent any slips if there is liquid spills.

I plan to redo the walls and baseboards later this year, so I didn't concern myself with keeping that nice looking during the paint removal process.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
A friend of mine, a contractor, told me about the removal of nice commercial carpeting from a real estate office he was rebuilding. I snagged it all and carpeted my garage and shop. 20 years ago. It has help up very well and really keeps the dirt out of the house. Yes, I vacuum the garage. It also is nice to work on cars with a “soft” floor.
I painted mine and then put in hallway runners for the drive in wet days. It worked pretty good. Seems I don't have any pictures of that but I certainly qualify for the DIY on the cheap. Mine was painted with $65 gal paint safety red used for warehouses. Yes it lifts off just like the article says. So I put in hallways runners rather than sit outside. Even so, I do a little soak through but just where I park. I'd take a picture but I roll up the runners in the winter and at the moment I'm doing to much maintenance on it to put them back. Rolling the jack around, jack stands, etec. don't do as well with cheap hallway runners; so I take them up when working.

Last edited by dlq04; 05-10-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Before hallway runners.

Last edited by dlq04; 05-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Before hallway runners.

Hey ol Hockey thread member

zdave linked me to this thread as I have been considering the Floor Tiles vs the Epoxy Coat

WOW your Garage & that MG
Old 01-16-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by vtecmom
Hey ol Hockey thread member

zdave linked me to this thread as I have been considering the Floor Tiles vs the Epoxy Coat

WOW your Garage & that MG
to a Voice from the Past! Thanks for comments. The man-cave has come a long ways from its early beginning.

The following users liked this post:
vtecmom (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Coating