S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The gardening/flower/yard thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Default The gardening/flower/yard thread

I was going to bump last year's gardening/horticulture thread, but a few folks have "cleaned house" and not all the pics are still there.

So, we'll start anew.

Show us your yard, your plants, your projects for the front porch.

I'll have a pic to post hopefully this weekend. Rick's plants, flowers and some veggies, (which he starts from seed) are all doing nicely and the remaining ones will leave my kitchen and be put on the deck (where they will be cared for and tended to) until it's warm enough to plant them in the ground. We most likely will be able to do that on the long Memorial Day weekend.

We need to do a little shopping. One rose bush, didn't make it through the winter, and I've also heard of an azalea bush that blooms both in the spring and summer, I'd like to find one of those.

For now, we have some tulips and a little help in the garden. I think he's going to "make the rounds" as different flowers bloom during the season.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that we had 8-10 deer for hours in our front yard two nights ago, I am hesitant to feed them this year.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 AM

I'll post up some pics after "The Moat - Part II" is completed....
Old 05-16-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I got home from my back east trip and found my roses were going nuts. I'll get some photos I took a couple days ago...
Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 AM

I have yet to fertilize them so that's on my to-do list this week. I was surprised they weren't covered with aphids since they were when I left for Virginia.

^This rose is named All American Beauty. I love the color but the shape of the rose is awful.

^This one smells wonderful. It's called Perfume Delight. Not a great shape to the rose but the smell is the strongest of all of my roses.

^This one is called Gold Medal. I have two bushes of it. Small roses but they are prolific here in Acton. Always my first to bloom too. Don't have much scent though.

^Don't remember the name on this one. I don't care much for the color and it's has very little scent but the shape is very nice.

^Same as above.

^This one is Double Delight. Smells great. Kind of a sick plant. I need to get a new one.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Nice, Patty.

I only have two rosebushes. One pink, that one has done well, and a red one given to me by some friends for my 50th is the other. That one didn't make it this year.

Do you spend a lot of time working on them?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 AM

Not now. I prune them in about February. I fertilize them maybe twice a year. I used to spend more time on them but when my back got ruined in April 2005, I was working on them. The bending over to weed or mix stuff into their soil, is very hard on my back.

In the past two years I've sprinkled fertilizer and maybe some Gromulch and epsom salts under each one, and let Andy mix it in. I guess I can get him to do it again this year, now that he's trying to get on my good side. I do enjoy going out before sunset and trimming the dead flowers off though. And even though they are on drips, I like to give them a good soaking every week or so, like a really big drink.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM

They are really beautiful. I love flowers but am a cluts when it comes to gardening. I just enjoy viewing other people's handywork!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM

Your aphids were probably eaten by lady bugs. They love aphids and it is really to see them gobble them up!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Barbara, you've actually watched ladybugs eat up aphids?

Quick Reply: The gardening/flower/yard thread