S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Gasoline Credit Cards

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 4,914 Likes on 2,980 Posts
Default Gasoline Credit Cards

BP’s gasoline credit card used to be the best in the business: 5% back on BP gas, 2% on travel and dining and 1% elsewhere, with double rewards in the first 60 days. But as of March 1st, it became one of the worst. They are installing new pumps and now have a really confusing rebate system that can take 15 cents off per gallon per $100 spent at BP, up to 20 gallons. Which sounds good unless you do the math. You can only get those rebates on one fill-up at a time, so if you drive an MG which is 10 gallons vs my Audi’s 21 gallons you get less. Reportedly under the best case scenario you get 3% back but they’ve rigged it so your rewards rate will probably be a lot lower.

A Google search for other bads ones turns up Gulf, Shell, etc. for a variety of reasons. I suspect many are trying to get away from paying 3%, which I assume is the norm, as prices go up.

The card I am switching to is with Pentagon Federal CU. They still offer 5% back in the same month. This is what Shell use to do till they changed and I dropped them for BP. The PenFed card is good at ‘any’ pump; which makes it extra nice. Their sign up app is very lengthy but with gas over $4 gallon now, I thought it was worth it and there is a small sign fee, $15 or $20, which goes to support the military. You do not have to be military to join. Just thought I would share the info.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Shell card through my work. I don't see the bill; so, I really have no clue if there is a discount on top of this, but every time I fill up, it's 10 cents per gallon cheaper than the pump price (which would these days be less than 3%). But if that's the only discount it sounds like it's worse than BP. I just don't know.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for shareing this Dave. I have a 4% back card from Visa, that is limited to $250.00 in gasoline purchases/month. I'll be taking a trip out to Colorado in August, this card would be good to have.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't even have Shell or BP stations here....

I continue to use my Discover Gas Card, I take what discounts I can get, and I buy the vast majority of gas from my Sam's Club

I personally stopped looking at the price of gas many, many, many years ago.

I pull in when I'm low and fill up, and I pay the bill at the end of the month, be it $200 or $400.

It is what it is, I'm not changing my life and hobby just because of the price of a gallon of gas.

I sold the Titan and put m self in a Frontier, that has saved a lot of gas, and I'm riding the VFR800Fi more and more and that too saves some; it's about all I can do really.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a Hess Visa card. Introductory discount was 10%, then 5%. A year or so ago they knocked it down to 3%. It works great for me, as I have a Hess station right next door to work, and another one very close to home.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Since BP changed their program my card has not left my wallet. I have been using my Discover card but would like to find something better.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
BP’s gasoline credit card used to be the best in the business: 5% back on BP gas, 2% on travel and dining and 1% elsewhere, with double rewards in the first 60 days. But as of March 1st, it became one of the worst. They are installing new pumps and now have a really confusing rebate system that can take 15 cents off per gallon per $100 spent at BP, up to 20 gallons. Which sounds good unless you do the math. You can only get those rebates on one fill-up at a time, so if you drive an MG which is 10 gallons vs my Audi’s 21 gallons you get less. Reportedly under the best case scenario you get 3% back but they’ve rigged it so your rewards rate will probably be a lot lower.

A Google search for other bads ones turns up Gulf, Shell, etc. for a variety of reasons. I suspect many are trying to get away from paying 3%, which I assume is the norm, as prices go up.

The card I am switching to is with Pentagon Federal CU. They still offer 5% back in the same month. This is what Shell use to do till they changed and I dropped them for BP. The PenFed card is good at ‘any’ pump; which makes it extra nice. Their sign up app is very lengthy but with gas over $4 gallon now, I thought it was worth it and there is a small sign fee, $15 or $20, which goes to support the military. You do not have to be military to join. Just thought I would share the info.
I'll have to look into the Pentagon Federal CU card..

Had Shell for years... 5% rebate.... then when they changed ... went to BP at 5% back..... now its $.15/gal...... and I won;t take the pump discount as it screws you big time.....

With the profits these companies have been making... why in heck would they change their CC programs?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 3,494 Likes on 2,362 Posts

recently reviewed my credit rating.
one factor I found interesting is our credit rating was slightly reduced because of the number of "specialty cards like gas cards" that one uses to get discounts.
So we had "too many revolving accounts"
Mind you in 30+ years we've never had a late payment on anything.

I say F'em