S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Gee I havrn't had a medical adventure in a while. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/gee-i-havrnt-had-medical-adventure-while-1189515/)

boltonblue 11-07-2018 09:23 AM

Gee I havrn't had a medical adventure in a while.

A couple of years ago, after my first stent, I started a process called LDL Apheresys.
It was sort of like dialysis but for LDL cholesterol. Basically they stick two garden hoses in your arm and pump it through a filter for 4 hours.
To make that procedure work a little better they surgically connected a big vein to a big artery in my arm to have better access.
Technically it was called an AV fistula.
The good news is after 7 months of that torture a new drug hit the market that pushed that little procedure back into the dark pages of historical footnotes.
But for the last 3 years I've had a little souvenir of the adventure, that AV Fistula. That is until this morning.
It had continued to get bigger so I decided after consult with my cardiologist it was time to go away.
Showed up at 6:15 AM ( a truly obscene time of day) for the outpatient procedure.
So far no pain whatsoever. of course that is because they used a nerve block.
I can't feel anything for the next 12-15 hours. In fact, I have a numb swinging stick at my side.
You know that delightful feeling when sleep funny on your arm and it totally goes to sleep?
It was kind of odd to see them moving my arm around and I couldn't feel a damn thing.

But so far so good. other than that annoying little side effect and I can't drive for the next day.
It will feel good to have that blood flow back since it was shunting about 10% of my hearts output.
Maybe I'll have a little more energy....

SheDrivesIt 11-07-2018 10:15 AM

You have my best wishes for an outstanding recovery.

Lainey 11-07-2018 10:21 AM

Heal quickly, Jerry. Hope this is the last of your "adventures" for a longgggggggg time.

S1997 11-07-2018 10:38 AM

:iagree: Sounds like great news!

S2KRAY 11-07-2018 01:48 PM

Glad to hear your good news.

Zippy 11-07-2018 02:29 PM

Glad to hear!

boltonblue 11-07-2018 03:04 PM

Nerve block has finally worn off.
hands and fingers working now but so are all of those little pain receptors. I have to be careful not to abuse the tylenol.
I guess I was somewhat delusional on my recovery time.
I honestly was thinking I was going to drive an hour and go to meetings this afternoon. :egads: :laugh:
In reality the nap was a much better idea.

SheDrivesIt 11-07-2018 03:19 PM

A nap is OFTEN the best idea!

Scooterboy 11-07-2018 03:26 PM

Go easy. Those things and others can wait!

Legal Bill 11-08-2018 05:14 AM

Sounds like it things are going well and as expected (by the medical staff if not you, Jerry). I'm sure you'll be using that arm to reach for your wallet or checkbook to buy more Mercedes vehicles very soon.