S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Thanks...I modified my post a bit since Gary posted at the same time. I'm not trying to set up any fancy schmancy network. Pretty simple really. I think my question has been answered. I'm going to get with Bluemont to add the wireless router and go from there.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Life was simpler when I had an admin doing all this stuff. But I've learned a lot already today.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM

OK...the Bluemont guy just called and told me I can go to the computer store and buy a Netgear wireless router and they will help me set up the connection. However, he also said wired is always recommended over wireless, so I'm inclined to wait on that and go wired for now.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
OK...the Bluemont guy just called and told me I can go to the computer store and buy a Netgear wireless router and they will help me set up the connection. However, he also said wired is always recommended over wireless, so I'm inclined to wait on that and go wired for now.
If you password protect your wireless router with a good password, you should be OK.

True.... wired connections means nobody can get on your wireless network.... but... a hacker may get on your network whether its wireless or wired.

Go with the convenience, and go wireless for most things...

You can always hardwire your pc to your wireless router if you want a more secure connection for work stuff.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

I have access to Wifi connections, but the concern is that they are not secure enough. So the recommendation is that I get a personal one. I don't want to take any chances working from home. But I'm just not familiar with how to go about getting one and which company to choose. I have a router from Bluemont, but I don't think it's Wifi compatible. I'm going to talk to them, since I think it makes sense to go through them to set this up. Thanks for your help. BTW - I'm in an apt. I just want to be able to go into the living room to work without being wired. It's not that big a deal. I'm not trying to set up anything other than laptop access for my new job.

I'm going to keep probing here. When you say you have access to WiFi connections, are they your neighbors, or yours (that you don't think are secure enough?) If its yours (highly unlikely based on the comment about getting a Netgear router to install), then you should be able to just adjust the settings. If you bring up a wifi device and it searches and finds : Netgear, Linksys, Dlink and other generic looking connections, those are likely wide open networks that are around you apartment. READING YOUR COMMENTS AGAIN, I THINK THIS IS RESOLVED.

I have the Netgear 6200 series that I got a few months ago after the lightning strike in my house. It does its job very well. The smaller ones had a tough time reaching all over the house. Just make sure that you use password/passcodes on both the administration of the router and for the wifi access that are different, and are strong. Some combination of letters, numbers, a special character that's not something easily found by someone doing a simple search. MsPerky1 would be a bad password, m$p3rky! would be stronger, and j$on!K4@vF would be very strong and not easily hacked.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Well, the CEO of my new company emailed me and said go wired. He almost never uses wireless as the connections are very vulnerable to hackers. He explained why but I'm not going to post about that here. If I choose to set one up he will have me work with the network engineer to make certain it is secure. So, for now, I'm not doing it. No big deal. The +1 got me another cable. It just restricts me to the room with the PC, but it's not like there are many rooms in this apt to choose from.

Gary - just saw your comment. I do not have a Wifi connection here. I had seen a list of connections with their level of security and connection strength on the laptop I was given to bring home, which raised the question of using Wifi vs wired. I've since been educated about it in the past few days. And even more tonight as indicated above. Since my new company is an information security company, they are up on all the latest connection vulnerabilities, etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

OK...Wifi expert needed.
Teeheehee! You do not need a WiFi expert. What you need a translator.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

I was able to set up our wireless router myself very easily. It is password protected with an additional password that guests can use. Directions came with the unit and it was very easy to set up. Of course, it always easier just to plug a computer into a wire. The wireless router gives us internet access throughout the house, out onto the patio, porches, etc. if we want to sit out there and surf the web or whatever.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I never thought of using a different password for guests. Hmmmm. I think one of you geeks should hit the road and make house calls to make sure we non geeks are properly set up.

I do love having wireless access.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 AM

Software I found out about at my new office is called Password Safe. It is very . It's a free download and you can store all your passwords there in case you forget one. So it eliminates all those pesky pieces of paper with passwords on them. I'm getting ready to download it here. You just go in, copy the password and paste it where you need it.

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek