S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

GPS - can get you in OR out of trouble!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Default GPS - can get you in OR out of trouble!

GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

On Sunday, atmospheric conditions apparently changed enough for their GPS-enabled cell phone to get a weak signal and relay coordinates to a dispatcher, Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger said.

"GPS almost did 'em in and GPS saved 'em," Evinger said. "It will give you options to pick the shortest route. You certainly get the shortest route. But it may not be a safe route."

Evinger said the couple got stranded Christmas Day and a Lake County deputy found them in the Winema-Fremont National Forest outside the small town of Silver Lake on Sunday afternoon and pulled their four-wheel-drive Toyota Sequoia out of the snow with a winch.

GPS

One thing we learned with the GPS is that sometimes, you have to go with your gut and take a route other than the one it suggests.

In ME one time, it tried to send us down some kind of snowmobile road. In VA, we had it set to "avoid highways" and ended up going 2 1/2 hours out of the way, as it recognized one road as a major highway.

Lesson learned. They aren't fool proof....keep a map in the car.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

^^ I saw this on the web news this morning and thought about posting it for Dave, however, he may read it early in the morning when he's grumpy and say something he'll regret later.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by valentine,Dec 30 2009, 03:18 PM
^^ I saw this on the web news this morning and thought about posting it for Dave, however, he may read it early in the morning when he's grumpy and say something he'll regret later.
Dave was the first one I thought of too!

dlq always in our s

Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the old saying - you can't fix stupid

some people
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ exactly. When things turn to gravel and then dirt, a bit of common sense and appreciation of the weather should prevail.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I just bought a new Garmin after my 3 year-old StreetPilot kept saying "Lost satellite connection". The first time I used it was last week having it direct me from the Sacramento airport to my daughter's apartment, about 38 miles away. It was dark and I couldn't understand why it had me taking city streets when I knew that last year I was on highways all the way to her place. My son was with me so he blipped it to the end address and it was taking us to some intersection 1,200 miles away. He clicked on her address in my Favorites, again, and it got it right the second time. Kyle said that his Garmin did the same thing to him, recently. He and his girlfriend put in an address and it was taking them someplace else.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My daughter bought me a Garmin for Christmas. I haven't tried it out yet.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

This Garmin I just bought is my third. They are getting easier to use all the time.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Dec 30 2009, 05:15 PM
I just bought a new Garmin after my 3 year-old StreetPilot kept saying "Lost satellite connection". The first time I used it was last week having it direct me from the Sacramento airport to my daughter's apartment, about 38 miles away. It was dark and I couldn't understand why it had me taking city streets when I knew that last year I was on highways all the way to her place. My son was with me so he blipped it to the end address and it was taking us to some intersection 1,200 miles away. He clicked on her address in my Favorites, again, and it got it right the second time. Kyle said that his Garmin did the same thing to him, recently. He and his girlfriend put in an address and it was taking them someplace else.
Weird Patty.

I think a similar thing happens when it starts out and doesn't know where you are.

Until it gets a connection, it thinks it is where ever it was last time it was turned on.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Dec 30 2009, 05:33 PM
My daughter bought me a Garmin for Christmas. I haven't tried it out yet.
We ours and would not want to travel without one. They do take a bit of getting used to, and they are not "stupid proof"

Try it out around town, so you can see how it works. Most important check your settings and what you want to avoid. If you avoid too much, you never get to your destination.

The only avoidance we have is dirt roads, or if we have plenty of time, we avoid highways. Fastest time generally is our preference over shorter distance.

Quick Reply: GPS - can get you in OR out of trouble!