S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Great leaders/politicians/statesmen-women of the last 100 years.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Great leaders/politicians/statesmen-women of the last 100 years.

The other day Jerry started a thread exploring political points of view. The conversation has come around to the lack of great leaders/politicians/statesmen and women. I tend to agree.

Who do you think were (are) the great leaders/politicians/statesmen women of the last 100 years? Not to let you off easy with just the name, please say why you think so.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack Kennedy comes to mind. Maybe it was just a different time. Maybe it was the morals of the times. I feel that there was a line of Biblical proportions drawn in the cosmos when Kennedy was assasinated. A chasm was created as the old was left behind along with hope and innocence. As many of you have been, I was on both sides of this divide and have a hard time not looking back. The seventh horseman rides.

Churchhill, Truman, Eisenhower, Patton, McCarthy, Elenor Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, Dr. King, Bobby Kennedy, and many more that I'm sure many of you will mention and many more that I am ignorant of.

If you want to do an interesting survey, ask your kids or kids in general the same question. I think most will come up with Clinton.

My youngest daughter came up with Mother Teresa and Albert Einstein. I am proud of her!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not sure if he qualifies in all ways, but John McCain has a lot of good attributes.

*Patriot and (I think) fiscally responsible
*Fighter of the Pork Barrel
*Sponsor of Campaign Finance Reform

Unfortunately, the last 2 items probably mean that he could never afford the battle to the top tier
Old 11-13-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was always a big fan of Margaret Thatcher!
Old 11-13-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by ItalianBucwheat
I was always a big fan of Margaret Thatcher!
I agree. Plus I would add Golda Meir and Indira Ghandi, Florence Nightingale (she died in 1910),Gloria Steinem,Amelia Earhart,.Elizabeth Stanton, Susan B. Anthony,Clara Barton.

I would also posit that just about any of our First Ladies were, in their own way, very strong leaders. I am sure that they have all had a great influence on policy (although we will never know for sure).

On the male side I would add TR for creating the national park system. Mahatma Ghandi for leading India to a new country. T.E. Lawrence for uniting the Arab countries.

I am not sure if your definition of great overlaps to influential but if it did I would add:

Lenin
Trotksy
Stalin
Marx
Mao
Henry Ford
Jonas Salk
Pancho Villa
Alexander Graham Bell
Clarence Darrow
John L. Lewis
John Muir
Old 11-13-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, since I am trying to wrestle the title of Vintage Smart Ass (VSA) away from Jerry, I will submit William Jefferson Clinton for your review.

Who else presided over the greatest economic expansion and prosperity in U.S. history while NOT having sex with...ummm...THAT woman...yet getting a little, ahem, piston work (trying to keep the car theme) and smoking a "flavored" cigar. . Damn term limits.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:33 PM

Great leaders/politicians/statesmen are those who can offer hope when there is very little. People like:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt
Winston Churchill

Great leaders/politicians/statesmen are those who can inspire people to reach higher than they ever imagined that they could. People like:

Dr. Martin Luther King
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Jesse Jackson

Great leaders/politicians/statesmen are those who can work through the system to create change. People like:

Lyndon Baines Johnson (in spite of the Vietnam War)

Great leaders/politicians/statesmen are those who are willing to make tough decisions, popular or not, when necessary. People like:

Harry Truman

Great leaders/politicians/statesmen are those who are human beings. People like:

Yitschak Rabin
Anwar Sadat
Jimmy Carter
Mother Theresa
Ghandi

Great leaders are not saints or pure holy spirits. They are human with the same flaws that we all have. The only difference is that they have the ability to rise to the occasion.

This is a short list off the top of my head. As I think of more, I will edit my post.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OhioRacer
I will submit William Jefferson Clinton for your review.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:04 PM

I agree with the definitions offered and the persons nominated so far. We can include Ronald Reagan here for the same reasons as Bill Clinton, altho I regard Reagan as being a man of substance. I would add to the reputation of Teddy Roosevelt as not just a National Park starter, but the leader who first promoted the USA as a world power, back before WWI did it for us.

"Greatness" must always be based on "influence"; at least it is in the history of the arts. The funny thing is, we consider "great" to be a positive, equating it with "good". This sometimes causes extreme irony, a glaring example being Adolf Hitler. Almost the Devil incarnate, it's hard to think of him as "great", but influential he certainly was. (He even offered hope and inspired people!) With Adolf I would add Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, Marx, and Mao.

My own personal favorites from those mentioned so far include TR, FDR, Churchill, and JFK.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Professor

Quick Reply: Great leaders/politicians/statesmen-women of the last 100 years.