S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Has your neighborhood gone downhill?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
We are now in a quiet suburban neighborhood surrounding a golf course. But we miss living in the country, the animals, the quiet, the views. Rob, we are truly opposites, even though both accountants. But that's what makes the world go 'round.
Amen, That truly is what makes the world go round.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Like the op, our neighborhood is about 25 years old. A planned residential community. Basically a gated community with a gate. There is an hoa. Located in CT.

Colonial style homes. Small lots. A 'town green' with gazebo. The build quality wasn't the best, but the house has held up fine.

We were the fourth family to move in, and now one of the few remaining original owners. Also perhaps the only household without children. That is basically what the neighborhood is, a place to raise kids. As the kids grow up, the families move away, and new young families move in.

We haven't seen a decline. landscaping changes with the times, but stays high quality. We are one of the few homes without a sprinkler system, and also one of the few with original garage doors. Most have upgraded. Grass is kept trimmed.

Perhaps its the hoa. We aren't allowed to rent the home out, nor even rent out a room. There are repercussions if you let your lawn go. You can't have a boat, or even jetskis parked on a trailer. No motorhomes. No unregistered cars. These things keep the hood in check.

There are definite downsides to having an hoa. But reading this thread gives me new appreciation for what it has done to protect my homes investment.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Related (I guess)...we do have our share of homeless people here. Some live under the bridge below me. Others wander around or plant themselves near the Metro station. The county has done a lot to get them housing/services, but some are not cooperating/interested. Anyhoo, the other evening I was looking down at the courtyard below which has grass and bushes, tables and benches. It is for the office building next door, which faces the courtyard, as does our condo building. Lo and behold, there was a younger, homeless man with his pants down taking a dump at the edge of the bushes. Obviously in full view of both buildings. He was talking to himself so I'm assuming he has mental health issues, as do many. I had not seen him before. He stood up so I got a lovely view of his posterior before he pulled up his pants. Sat down on the bench for a bit then shuffled off. Was not quite sure what to do, so did nothing. I think I will pay a visit to the building guard next door and clue him in as to what is going on. Life in the big city!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Every year our HOA has to send out a mailer emphasizing that people have to mow their grass and keep up their shrubs or t he HOA will have someone do it for them and send them the bill. So far is has worked. Same goes for cars parked on the street, large boats or RV's in the driveway and so on. Most of my neighbors have someone do the grass and landscaping for them, Our neighborhood is also 20 years old.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Our HOA takes care of everything in the front yards, as well as common areas. So mowing, planting, trimming etc is done for everyone. Things look as good as they did in the early 90s when houses were built. Maybe better as the trees have grown. In fact there is now controversy between the "never remove a tree" and "trees are taking over" crowds.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Related (I guess)...we do have our share of homeless people here. Some live under the bridge below me. Others wander around or plant themselves near the Metro station. The county has done a lot to get them housing/services, but some are not cooperating/interested. Anyhoo, the other evening I was looking down at the courtyard below which has grass and bushes, tables and benches. It is for the office building next door, which faces the courtyard, as does our condo building. Lo and behold, there was a younger, homeless man with his pants down taking a dump at the edge of the bushes. Obviously in full view of both buildings. He was talking to himself so I'm assuming he has mental health issues, as do many. I had not seen him before. He stood up so I got a lovely view of his posterior before he pulled up his pants. Sat down on the bench for a bit then shuffled off. Was not quite sure what to do, so did nothing. I think I will pay a visit to the building guard next door and clue him in as to what is going on. Life in the big city!
Time to buy a pooper scooper.