S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   Hate crime (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/hate-crime-357548/)

Lainey 02-02-2006 10:21 AM

Hate crime

The city I grew up in made national news today because of a hate crime.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11146480/

No city wants to be brought to national attention for this reason.

I still work in the city and this bar is about 5 minutes from my office.

The suspect they are looking for is a teenager. How can someone so young have such hatered for others? We've all heard of this before, but it still amazes me that some seem to have been brought up with so little tolerance for the differences in people's religion, way of life etc., that they resort to this.

What do you think causes people to do this to others?

Morris 02-02-2006 10:42 AM

A. Bad upbringing
B. Bad genes
C. Recognition in themselves of the hated object, and trying to destroy it and purge themselves.

Jumpy Guy 02-02-2006 11:29 AM

I truly believe as parents we can't control the way our kids develope. We can only do our best and pray for a healthy child - physically and mentally.

Lainey 02-02-2006 11:32 AM

^ I would agree. Though in some cases it is a case of repeating the cycle of hatred, violence or whatever. The kids are raised in the same manner with the same twisted mindset as the parents. In other cases you have a family that raises "X" number of children with the same good values, and you have one that for some reason ends up being a lost cause. :(

Zippy 02-02-2006 12:27 PM

For fear of sounding too political, isn't the country that is trying to ban gay marriage, why not just ban gays? After all if they aren't good enough to have the freedom to love the person they want, then do they have the right to exist.

Lainey, as for the act, it is deplorable, andthe perp's trip to the big hoise might make him a bit more amicable to the gay "lifestyle".

Lainey 02-02-2006 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy,Feb 2 2006, 04:27 PM

Lainey, as for the act, it is deplorable, andthe perp's trip to the big hoise might make him a bit more amicable to the gay "lifestyle".

He won't have much choice, will he? But then he didn't give those people in the bar that he hurt any choice did he?

mikegarrison 02-02-2006 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Feb 2 2006, 12:29 PM
I truly believe as parents we can't control the way our kids develope. We can only do our best and pray for a healthy child - physically and mentally.

Kind of a tangent here, but I suggest looking into the book, "The Nurture Assumption". It's a very interesting analysis of this question. (Extremely simplified synopsis: genes are about 45% of development, peer influence is about 45% of development, everything else -- including parental guidence -- is the rest.)

Of course, parents can have some say over who the peer group is, and thus get a certain amount of influence that way. Basically, it is a scientific hypothesis that says parents are right to be worrying if their kids "run with a bad crowd".

paS2K 02-02-2006 02:09 PM

:crazy: Sounds like this kid's room at home was filled with Nazi literature, etc. One would think that the parents would be tipped off by that....along with the 'wearing black' syndrome :banghead:

ralper 02-02-2006 04:01 PM

I've often wondered if this sort of thing is happening more now, or are we just hearing about these incidents more now. I think its the later. I think this type of thing always went on.

I'm not suggesting that makes it ok, all I'm saying is that its not new.

Lainey 02-02-2006 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Feb 2 2006, 08:01 PM
I've often wondered if this sort of thing is happening more now, or are we just hearing about these incidents more now. I think its the later. I think this type of thing always went on.

I'm not suggesting that makes it ok, all I'm saying is that its not new.

You're right. It's not new. The KKK continues to exist, along with other groups of that type.

It's a shame some continue to believe that that sort of this is right. :(