S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hey Lainey, another reason to love walmart

Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,373 Posts
Default Hey Lainey, another reason to love walmart

MEXICO CITY — In September 2005, a senior Wal-Mart lawyer received an alarming e-mail from a former executive at the company’s largest foreign subsidiary, Wal-Mart de Mexico. In the e-mail and follow-up conversations, the former executive described how Wal-Mart de Mexico had orchestrated a campaign of bribery to win market dominance. In its rush to build stores, he said, the company had paid bribes to obtain permits in virtually every corner of the country.

The former executive gave names, dates and bribe amounts. He knew so much, he explained, because for years he had been the lawyer in charge of obtaining construction permits for Wal-Mart de Mexico.

Wal-Mart dispatched investigators to Mexico City, and within days they unearthed evidence of widespread bribery. They found a paper trail of hundreds of suspect payments totaling more than $24 million. They also found documents showing that Wal-Mart de Mexico’s top executives not only knew about the payments, but had taken steps to conceal them from Wal-Mart’s headquarters in Bentonville, Ark. In a confidential report to his superiors, Wal-Mart’s lead investigator, a former F.B.I. special agent, summed up their initial findings this way: “There is reasonable suspicion to believe that Mexican and USA laws have been violated.”

The lead investigator recommended that Wal-Mart expand the investigation.

Instead, an examination by The New York Times found, Wal-Mart’s leaders shut it down.

Neither American nor Mexican law enforcement officials were notified. None of Wal-Mart de Mexico’s leaders were disciplined. Indeed, its chief executive, Eduardo Castro-Wright, identified by the former executive as the driving force behind years of bribery, was promoted to vice chairman of Wal-Mart in 2008. Until this article, the allegations and Wal-Mart’s investigation had never been publicly disclosed.
More in complete NY Times article
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 702 Likes on 475 Posts

I just ordered an electric scooter from Wal-Mart for my granddaughters birthday. Better go back and cancel it, I suppose.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I heard about this, Jerry. I guess it's just Wal-Mart being Wal-Mart.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
[size="3"]
If someone in China had screwed the world economy into the ground along with the state of hundreds of millions of people around the world, they would have been shot. Here, we give them and their associates bigger bonuses to retain "talent." Where's the talent?
Actually, that's not exactly true. In China, and a great deal of Asia, bribery is the way business gets done. In general, those who get shot are those who get caught and cause embarrassment to the country. Those who don't get caught and don't embarrass the country, get rich. The industrial revolution in China is amazing, but, their business ethics still hasn't changed all that much.

If you get a chance read "Life and Death in Shanghai" by Nien Cheng. Its an eye opener. The book is now about 20 years old, but still relevant.

That the Wal-Mart executives bribed the Mexican officials is bad enough, but what I think is worse is that the Wal-mart executives in America shut down the investigation and covered up the wrong doing.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
The thing that really bothers me is that it was probably my generation that failed to ingrain the next with the good understanding of the long-term benefit of ethical behavior, integrity and honor.
Is it that we failed to ingrain the next generation with the long-term benefit of ethical behavior, integrity and honor? Or is it that we've started to believe that winning justifies everything? I think its the later.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,997 Posts

Seriously, I always thought 'bribes' was business as normal in Mexico.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Seriously, I always thought 'bribes' was business as normal in Mexico.
As a matter of fact, that's the way it is in a lot of places.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,373 Posts

circling the wagons ...
blah blah blah from the corporate mouthpiece.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

I tasted the corporate world a long time ago. It didn't take long (3years) to realize I wouldn't play the game. I've been my own boss ever since. My integrity and ethics are fully intact and i employ them every day. I couldn't exist it the business world I'm in without them.

Best decision I ever made was kissing Motorola goodbye.

fltsfshr
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm sorry, but how else could you secure the necessary permits in Mexico? By applying for them and waiting patiently? Please.
I suspect if we looked at how JC Penney, Sears, Home Depot, AutoZone, or plenty of other US retailers do business in Mexico we would find exactly the same thing.

Quick Reply: Hey Lainey, another reason to love walmart