S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hiding from bad grammar

Old 08-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hiding from bad grammar

I think I may be perusing this forum periodically even though I'm not a vintage owner (yet) so that I don't have to see all the posts with ridiculously poor grammar. Presumably most of these are from our younger members. Since most of you (us?) were edumacated in the days when schools taught the difference between "your" and "you're" (and, god help us all, "ur"), use of capitalization, and the correct use of punctuation, I think this part of the board may be a welcome respite from the daily frustration of seeing these atrocities running amok .

Phew, sorry...had to get that rant off my chest. If I'd posted it in the normal OT forum, I'd have gotten yelled at for being a grammar Nazi or something .
Old 08-29-2003, 11:07 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

your all right (J/K)
Old 08-29-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wha ja talkin bout willis?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean? It is just an extra challenge to figure out what the heck they mean. Consider it an added bit of entertainment.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:43 PM

Watch it, Tedow. One of those young bucks who can't spell may write a special computer virus worm just for you
Old 08-29-2003, 09:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm occasionally guilty of a few bad slips of the brain AND finger (when typing), so please don't come down too hard on me.
Besides, we must continue to nurture those "younguns" so they can grow up to be contributing members of society - contributing to the pension fund that I'll be collecting from.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell everyone makes mistakes...even me . I'll sometimes even use phrases like "Gimme a call" or "Whatcha think?" I type the way I talk, for the most part. But you'll never see me utter/type things like, "your hot what's ur phone number?", or "you should of known there cars were ghey." etc etc hopefully you get the point. Every time I see a post like that I have to actually take a moment and restrain myself from replying with something like, "What are you, 12? How can you expect anyone to take your words seriously if you don't even bother to present them intelligibly?" (D'oh, is that how you spell intelligibly? )
Old 08-30-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I must say, as a language major and former writer/editor, I do notice grammar and spelling mistakes just out of habit. Most of them don't bother me, but the word "definitely" being spelled "definately" has been driving me a bit crazy!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Tedow
Phew, sorry...had to get that rant off my chest. If I'd posted it in the normal OT forum, I'd have gotten yelled at for being a grammar Nazi or something .
HEY TEDOW (Grammar Nazi)!

I went to one of those private schools when I was young. I remember being stuffed into a dark coat closet writing the words I missed on spelling tests 20 times or more. I learned to hate spelling tests because of what always came after. I hated what was done to me. I quickly hated school as a whole. Back then, pain was used to make a person learn. Not understanding and further clarification. If you fell behind, you felt the pain and would be pushed further behind because of the time it took to inflict the pain. The one thing different about me was that the pain was not severe enough, I guess. I've never learned how to spell right, or how to write proper grammar. I just did not care. I still don't.

I found things that I loved and pursued those with a vengeance.

Have you ever heard of that autistic kid that can draw complete landscapes from memory?
How about Rain Man?....
Everyone has there own talents and weaknesses. My weakness is spelling and grammar.
The thing is, my strengths far outweigh my weakness. But that is a different matter.

This is not the normal OT forum. We do tend to do things a little differently over here. So, I'm not really yelling (maybe I am) at you but just letting you know that even with age we are still people. We still have children inside our heads and hearts that scream out now and again.
You are poking at a weakness many people have. Let them deal with it. Don't remind them of it. Trust me, it wont help. Just try to listen what the ideas are and work off of those.

Peace

ps. I did a spell check just before I sent this. I must have had twenty words misspelt.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:25 PM

Well, I have to admit, at times I do need an interpreter.

Quick Reply: Hiding from bad grammar