S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

High Blood Pressure?

Old 12-21-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 3,515 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Scoots is that a free ap or a monthly subscription?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 2,987 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
... For the last several years I've been on the Lisinopril. I started at 10 mg and was on that for quite a while. Down the line I was a little lightheaded and with the nurse prac's permission, cut it down to 5 mg and have done fine on that.

How long of a try did you give the meds, Patricia? When you say you felt shi$$y, what were you experiencing? 5 mg is VERY low dose, you could try it again until you can see a doc.
^I was on lisinopril for about 5 weeks. The doc started me on 10 mg but I couldn't sleep at night and I cut them in half. My blood pressure was down nicely and Kaiser was happy. Starting around the 4th week I was light headed, close to dizzy, couldn't sleep, and felt almost nauseous and weak. Nothing I did helped. I stopped taking the 5 mg last Saturday and after 4 days was feeling back to normal although still weak. My BP is up again. I think you're right and that I should take 5 mg but maybe every other day until my doctor finally responds to my emails. It should be today. I'm going to go get one right now.

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Patty, do you have your own BP monitor? They are fairly inexpensive. You can use it to identify circumstances that increase and lower your BP. Barbara is an on again off again BP pill taker.
^No. This all started when I broke my foot on October 26th. I will get one, soon.

Originally Posted by The Raptor
Why is Lisinopril out, Patty? I take it. Also Coreg, which is a Beta Blocker.
^Lisinopril is the one that made me feel sick after a few weeks on it.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 3,515 Likes on 2,378 Posts

for the record, pain is wonderful at boosting blood pressure.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Scoots is that a free ap or a monthly subscription?
It is free but you need to purchase the cuff to make it work. I like it and the Dr. was impressed. I checked the cuff while at the doctors office against his machine and it is pretty accurate.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 PM

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought when I had high blood pressure at the treatment of my broken foot. Trouble is it didn't ever go back down.

​​​​​​I have an appointment tomorrow (12-22-17) with a Kaiser doctor in Loveland. Good!
Old 12-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
The late wife had “White Coat HBP”. He BP would sky rocket at each appointment. Last week prior to my foot surgery my BP was very high. The nurse was concerned but the doctor said ‘you are laying here with just a hospital gown, you are hooked to monitors, you have an IV in your hand and in a few minutes I’m going to cut you foot open. Hell your BP should be high’. It was normal afterwards.

I use the following to monitor my BP. My cardiologist requested that I keep track and possibly chart my BP. This one does it all for me.

https://www.getqardio.com/qardioarm-...t=Qardio%20Arm
Thank you for mentioning the Qardio, David. I just ordered one on Amazon and it'll be here on Sunday.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:25 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

My blood pressure is much higher (as much as 20 points) in the morning than in the evening. Since my checkups are always early morning appointments my medical record indicates chronic borderline hypertension, even on my current suite of meds. But overall my doctor is happy with my current overall bp. I took readings myself three times a day for a week and brought in the log after calibrating my home cuff with the reading at his office. My physician also told me that my experience with higher morning bp is quite common.

I've been fortunate in that I've never had any significant side effects from any of my BP meds. I did have issues with a cholesterol med but found another that proved even more effective with no obvious side effects.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

After reading this thread I took mine for the first time since 2015. I'm still alive. I pm'd Patricia with what I'm on; it works for me.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

There are an amazing number of things that can "boost" your BP. I have GERD and IBS and when I am in a flare up, my BP goes all over the place, but mostly high. My BP is currently well under control, and I will speak to the doc next week about lowering my already low dosage.

Patty, the issue with light-headedness seem somewhat common, from what I have heard, until they get the doing correct.

Scoots, thanks for the heads up on the Qardio, I have been through a few Omrons. My latest lost 3 months of readings during the transfer to my phone and stopped communicating through BluTooth. This not the worst, but it made me scramble to get the all of the info "on paper" so I could make it to the doctor's appointment.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Thank you for mentioning the Qardio, David. I just ordered one on Amazon and it'll be here on Sunday.
Scratch that it'll be here on Sunday. It's Tuesday night and it's lost out there somewhere. I feel fine on no meds for BP but I'd like to know what it is.

Quick Reply: High Blood Pressure?