S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

hmm so what with you do with 1.6 billion

Old 10-22-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04

To me $10M after taxes would be manageable. It would secure my family and grandkids with a solid base to either screw up or make something of themselves. I've passed out lump sums before and I did not always like the results. If they couldn't work with say $250k each (if that) too bad.

The wife at first blush would say lets buy a horse farm and I might say lets buy a house on Lake Michigan with a road course to test out all my new cars but we probably wouldn't move - we've been here since 1983 and never once consider moving to something bigger and fancier. How safe is it? We have neighbors who never close their garage doors and some who don't even lock their house when they are away ("would you watch my animal for a few days, the door is open"). Got'a love a sub and neighbors like that. Sure, I would spend money on the house inside and outside to update it and be really thankful I didn't have to do it myself.

In the end, its all just a mental exercise since I probably have only played the lottery a half-dozen times in 10 years. A foolish waste of money IMHO. Once a year I do buy raffle tickets for a car I'd like and that's it.
No, if you are going to have a lottery (voluntary taxation) let 'er rip. All the stories of how unhappy the winners become, how fast the money goes, how their good lives are upended, only serves as an example to others that money on its own really does not buy happiness.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

I could use a winning lottery ticket. I bought new eyeglasses today. I'm just not ready to try the online purchase for this item. What does it say that my AAA membership allowed a better discount on the pricing vs my health insurance?

None of the less expensive frames that I cared for were the right size for my face. I even tried a couple kid sizes. I only wear my glasses at work so I wasn't looking to spend a million...but between frames, (moderate priced) progressive lenses, no glare, the price gets up there.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I hear you Lainey, I bought the same back in Feb.
Levi
Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 905 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I could use a winning lottery ticket. I bought new eyeglasses today. I'm just not ready to try the online purchase for this item. What does it say that my AAA membership allowed a better discount on the pricing vs my health insurance?

None of the less expensive frames that I cared for were the right size for my face. I even tried a couple kid sizes. I only wear my glasses at work so I wasn't looking to spend a million...but between frames, (moderate priced) progressive lenses, no glare, the price gets up there.
goBlue and I have been buying our eyeglasses at CostCo for the last several years. I think it was at the suggestion of Patty (Kyras). I suppose you do have to have a membership there, though.

We have been very happy with the glasses.

goBlue has VSP insurance through his employer, and we can use that eye insurance at CostCo.

I bought two new pair of glasses after having cataract surgery in 2015. One pair was with regular progressive lenses and the other was with transition progressive lenses. So, one pair was using the VSP insurance, and the other pair was without the insurance, but CostCo was having a special of $30 off the second pair of glasses for the same person.

It all turned out very reasonable. Those are the last glasses that I have bought.

Since the cataract surgery, I rarely need to wear glasses at all any more anyway. I do wear them when driving a car, but rarely need glasses for closeup anymore, except for very tiny font. And, I can just use over the counter reading glasses for that, or my old progressives (before the cataract surgery) work for closeup, too, because I guess I can find the right part of the lens to look through.

CostCo doesn't have a real big selection of frames in the right size for my face either, so I did end up getting one pair (the transitions) in a kids size.

Sorry so "off topic."
Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 AM

Received 3,777 Likes on 3,012 Posts

First thing I would do is get a lawyer THEN I would buy a house with a lot of land and build a HUGE garage and a build a racetrack and then buy my parents and my sister each new cars and a place in Florida for my folks and a place anywhere she wants for my sister.
Going forward I would spend my time searching for my wishlist of cars to build a collection. That would be a Ferrari 308,328.348,355,Daytona,550,330 then on to Porsche 70,s era 930, 89 930,993,964 early 911s and then a 280sl to round things off. That would be good for a start.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
First thing I would do is get a lawyer THEN I would buy a house with a lot of land and build a HUGE garage and a build a racetrack and then buy my parents and my sister each new cars and a place in Florida for my folks and a place anywhere she wants for my sister.
Going forward I would spend my time searching for my wishlist of cars to build a collection. That would be a Ferrari 308,328.348,355,Daytona,550,330 then on to Porsche 70,s era 930, 89 930,993,964 early 911s and then a 280sl to round things off. That would be good for a start.
Your list sounds similar to ours. House size doesn't matter much to me, but I suppose if I get a bigger house, I'd now be able to afford a cleaning lady. Rick says a house further in the country and a big garage, but built to resemble a barn so the contents of said garage would be less obvious. Of course a priority would be to set aside plenty of $ for the grandkids education and their futures, and to pass along a "few" bucks to our son and daughter in law to make their life easy.............but not too easy. I still believe we need a purpose of some kind.

New but not fancy cars for family members and maybe even extended family members is a must. I mean, who likes dealing with car repairs?

All these things won't eat up all that much of this windfall. Time to start planning some philanthropy work. And yes, I'd quit my job!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Not really interested in an new cars. Just have no desire to go super fast in a car that depreciates 50% in the 90 seconds after purchase..

I would gather my extended family together (have 2 married siblings with no kids and one child with a spouse - small circle) and announce the winnings, and lay out my Plan:

Those under 18 - a 529 fund, guaranteed to be at 100,000 at HS graduation. Upon graduation, a Roth with a seed of 100,000. If not college, the 529 reverts back to me and the Roth is established.
Over 18 not not quite ready to retire - graduated Roth, from 100,000 to 250,000, based on age, with a guaranteed 250,000 at retirement.
Close or at Retirement - 250,000 cash

Anticipation the Roth and the 529 would appreciate 10-12% per year.

While I'm on the road, I'd park and come back twice a year for family reunions (Ok... maybe birthdays?)

That's on top of all the rallys we have!
​​​​​​​
Old 10-23-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The states take a cut of the ticket receipts. 50% goes to administration of the lottery and state programs or charitable causes. Next, the $1.6B will be more like $900M as a lump sum. (This means the various states also received $900M.) Finally, the fed and local taxes on your lump sum will bring your $900M down to $650M or so depending on what your particular state charges. So on the lump sum basis, the governments receive $1.15B to your $650M.

I'll then spend my $650M knowing that a lot more money has already gone to various other parties, causes and projects. Will I do something charitable? Yes, there are a couple of organizations that I would help.. But I think I'd be investing the majority of this money in small start-up businesses, kind of like a Shark Tank thing. There are already plenty of programs and charities for people who don't have anything except problems. I'd like to help people that want to build new businesses.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legal Bill:
JoePhotographer (10-23-2018), Pinky (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I always liked Bill Murray's take on teaching the real impact of taxes on your kids. Get some ice cream and then take a third of it away. Kids learn real fast.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
All they learn by that move is partial loss, and that hurts They don’t learn anything else though, like that there are necessary, shared costs associated with getting icecream to the store.
Are there?

Question everything.

Fight the Man!

ATTICA!!!!

Quick Reply: hmm so what with you do with 1.6 billion