S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Home Security - Drop Cams, other options - Don't mind spending $$$$

Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Question Home Security - Drop Cams, other options - Don't mind spending $$$$

I have some drop cams around our home, for the most part they work ok, provided you see the alerts and internet is up. I have a few outside outside but our property is large and they often lose the connection with WiFi. It may be time to move into something better.

I'm ok with buying more cams if they can be monitored with something more then the nest app and maybe do't depend on WiFi.

My garage is detached from the house and some distance away, it's cement and built like fort knox so also need advise on how to get WiFi there if the system depends on WiFi.

Thanks, appreciate any input or recommendations.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I have been cobbling together security at our shore house. It is probably better if you look at one of the integrators like Simply safe (but they want you to use ALL of their equipment. That said, I have been using Zmodo cameras. I have one camera that will respond to sensors such as a door opening. They will turn to the open sensor and record. Ring and Amazon (Nest I believe), also have cameras that record and systems to operate like a true alarm. Not sure if this helps, but it's all I have at this point. Let us know how you go, if you choose a "system" approach, I would be very curious.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I bought my cameras and DVR from Superciruits.com They have everything you need and great customer care if you have problems.

Last edited by Scooterboy; 03-15-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Stupid fat fingers!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I bought my cameras and DVR from Suoercuits.com They have everything you need and great customer care if you have problems.
Didn't you mean https://www.supercircuits.com/ ?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
That's it. Stupid fat fingers!
Old 03-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

As far as extending WiFi out to your garage, depends on how far away far away is. A hundred feet is one thing, 500 is another. The easiest is a chain of Airport extremes with one, of course, hooked to your modem. The second extreme in the garage must be able to receive the first. (Cannot do a chain of 3 with 1 and 2 out of contact) The fastest data will be if you run a wire between the garage extreme and the one connected to the modem. Of course that means a wire run. That may not work for you. However, if the distance from the garage to the modem/extreme router is too great for radio contact the wire run will solve both issues. Wicked fast data and Wifi in the garage.

I use 2 of them but they are wirelessly connected. I am on 5 acres and the house, shop and outlying areas all all covered. Very good security. Up to 1.3 Gps but my cable only gets half that.

Apple Extremes are great and so easy to set up my lab did it for me. Printers, iPads, Apple Tv, Bose integrated system, Netflix etc all work. (I still follow Bill Gates's advice and tape over all camera ports -including the TV- despite my Apple family. ) I will never, never get a voice activated box of anything. No HAL 9000 refusing to open the garage door for me!

Cosmo: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL: Affirmative, Cosmo. I read you.

Cosmo: Open the garage doors, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry, Cosmo. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Cosmo: What's the problem?

HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Cosmo: What are you talking about, HAL?

HAL: This mission with your family is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Cosmo: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

HAL: I know that you and wife were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Cosmo: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

HAL: Cosmo, although you took very thorough precautions in bed with your wife against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Cosmo: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency side garage door.

HAL: Without your spare key, Cosmo? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Cosmo: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

HAL: Cosmo, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

From Apple:
  • AirPort Extreme includes a built-in firewall that creates a barrier between your network and the Internet, protecting your data from malicious attacks. When you set up AirPort Extreme, the firewall is automatically turned on, so you don’t have to do a thing. Except enjoy the web with peace of mind
  • Put out the Wi‑Fi welcome mat for guests.

With the guest networking feature, you can set up a separate Wi‑Fi network just for guests. Use a different password or no password at all. A guest network allows access only to the Internet, so your primary network — including any external hard drive, printer, or other LAN-attached device — remains secure.
  • Mac. PC. iPhone. iPad. Apple TV. Really, any Wi‑Fi‑enabled device you have will work with AirPort Extreme. That’s because it’s compatible with devices using the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac specifications
  • AirPort Extreme includes three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for fast wired connectivity with a desktop computer, network drive, DVR, or other device.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,997 Posts

My home security amounts to putting a post a note over the Mac camera.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks all.

Went out and purchased another set of drop cams, it's a cheap fix until I get my act together and make an investment.

forgot that my tenant who rents a place above my garage has Wifi so one of the drop cams is on his WiFi - done!

That was easy...

Thanks for all of the help anyway.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
My home security amounts to putting a post a note over the Mac camera.

We have deadbolts..
Old 03-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't know what drop cams are?!?! Are those cameras you dropped?