S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Homecoming 2010 Cross-Country

Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Homecoming 2010 Cross-Country

I'm starting the planning for our drive out to CA for the Honda Homecoming this September, and I thought I'd start a thread for comments and suggestions, especially from those who either know the areas we'll be driving through and/or have done some cross-country driving ( Kyras!)

There are currently 2 scenarios that we are looking into:

1) Virginija and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in June of 2011, so this trip could be sort of a second honeymoon. Anika will be almost 8, so leaving her with grandparents for 2 weeks or so would not be out of the question. To minimize this, however, Virginija would probably fly out and meet me partway. I figure at least 2 days of driving to get to either Denver or maybe Oklahoma City (depending on route), similar for the return trip. That would shave 4 days off of Anika's time with grandparents.

On the way, Virginija and I would revisit some of the places that we hiked back in September of 2001: Arches, Monument Valley, Goblin Valley, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc... Due to space limitations in the S, camping is probably not feasible, but that's no big deal. On the way back, we're considering the southern route to visit friend in Austin, TX and Baton Rouge, LA, then back north.

Being limited to 2 weeks (maybe an additional day or two at most), I realize that we wouldn't have tons of time for sighseeing along the way, but we'll see what we can do. (Intellectually, I knew how long the drive out to CA is, but it's still surprising then you start to count actual days...)

2) My grandparents have suggested that at some point in our trip, they fly to Las Vegas with Anika, and we all rent a larger car to travel around for a couple of days. We would again visit places like Goblin Valley, Grand Canyon, etc where Anika would enjoy the sights. This would probably entail driving straight out to LA for Homecoming, (picking up Virginija on the way), spending the weekend at Homecoming, then meeting up with my folks and Anika on the Monday after in Vegas. I would need to find some S2K owner around Vegas who would be willing to let me park at their place for a few days until we get back. After we return from our walkabout, Virginija could fly back with everyone, and I drive straight home.

Under this scenario, the drive out and back would be pretty much straight highway driving with no sightseeing, spending the bulk of the sightseeing time in Utah and surrounds with everyone the week after Homecoming.

So, these are the 2 main scenarios. There are a number of issues we need to work out before we decide on either option.

The next couple of individual posts will contain the specific questions that I have.

JonasM
Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Here are our tentative routes:

Northern Route West and East:

More Southern Route West and East:

Southern Route East (Homebound only):

Any opinions on these routes, either from experience with the roads, or otherwise?

I've already bookmarked Kyras' trip log from her drive out to Ohio in 2005, and intend to fully re-read it soon to get ideas of mileage per day, etc..
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5937563

Also, her drive out to Spring Fling in Wintergreen:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry10478527

JonasM
Old 01-10-2010, 10:59 AM

What are the chances of bad weather in mid-September if I take the northern route through Denver, through the Colorado Rockies? I recall Kyras & SpokesMan having posted about this area before. I'm concerned about my S-02's being useless in frosty weather. I have 2 alternatives: take the more southern route through Oklahoma City, which avoids the highest areas, or possibly change to more weather-friendly tires for the trip (I need new fronts and rears sometime this year, so that's not a difficult option).

JonasM
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I'm working on my plans too. I will need to spend a couple of days in SF with my daughter.

As for weather, coming home from the last HC I ran into snow/sleet/rain on I-70 just west of the Eisenhower tunnel. NO FUN!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done all those routes, plus a couple of other ones. We used that southern and one even more southern through El Paso during our winter trips to CA, and they are seriously long and boring trips.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

How about the Rt66 option. Interstates are so bad.
It's about the journey, not the destination.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by S2KNFR,Jan 10 2010, 07:19 PM
How about the Rt66 option. Interstates are so bad.
It's about the journey, not the destination.
Always an option, but it seems likely that, whichever option we end up with, we'll want to concentrate our timesightseeing once we're in Utah and west of that. The rest is just getting there as quickly as possible.

However, I'm not one who hates the highway - I find the S to be a great highway cruiser.

JonasM
Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

When I did my road trip after SF '08, I swung N from CHI and across WI, lower MN, mid-SD, southern WY and into MT (destination)....much further north. To relieve the drive, I planned my trips to arrive late afternoon in interesting spots to see in the evening (South Bend, LaCrosse WI on the Mississippi, Mt Rushmore in Rapid City). This worked out well on the westward leg and similar on the return to the east.

Jonas, option 1 sounds like the best deal....as you're limited to ~2 weeks. You could EASILY do option 2 (the Las Vegas and nearby parks) as a separate trip in the future...as the airfares and hotel prices are very competitive. My two cents....but either sounds like

If I decide to I would be interested in a caravan on the "more southern" route
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

We're taking the southern most route unless there is a hurricane in the gulf
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Jonas, as you know, The northern route is definitely the most scenic through Colorado and Utah. It would be nicer, though if you turn south at Montrose, CO and travel the Million dollar Highway down to Durango and then across to Utah on US160. Utah is also more beautiful through the central, National Parks route over to Natural Bridges National Park, Bryce, and Zion than on the interstate. Take 160 , 491, 191, 95, 24, 12 to Bryce, and then 89 to 9 and west through Zion. Sounds complicated, but it is not, -- and the highways are very good! You guys are also welcome to stop by for an overnight at our place near Durango if you take that route -- and would like. Otherwise you could stay on I 70 into Utah and take 191 south to Moab and Montecello. If you stay on I 70 across Utah make sure you don't run low on fuel. There are long stretches -- many miles -- with no gas stations in sight and no cell phone connections.

I am planning to drive from Durango to Flagstaff and down to Phoenix to meet up with the Phoenix guys for a desert caravan over to LA -- if it works out.

Quick Reply: Homecoming 2010 Cross-Country