S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Honda Pick-up...would you?

Old 10-05-2003, 06:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Honda Pick-up...would you?

With the eminent release of the 05 Honda Pick-up I was wondering if any our Vintage owners would consider such a vehicle for their personal stable ?

I understand it is based on the Acura MDX/Honda Pilot platform so serious towing might be an issue.

I've seen photos and it reminds me of the Explorer Sport-Trac or maybe a mini Avalanche in design,but definitely a Honda family resemblance.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:10 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I may be looking into replacing my 91 Ranger with one, will have to see what it has to offer when it finally debuts.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is practicle, I will be interested.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:02 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

No. Not to start the usual USA v Japan debate, but I would buy a pickup used and from one of the big three.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind my daily driver is a 4x4 pickup, a '95 Nissan XE-V6, King Cab, 5-speed.
I would consider a Honda truck only if they come to market with a winning vehicle that delivers real power and has real capabilities. However if it is based upon a Pilot platform I do not think it will win me over.

I'm at that point where I have decided to go to a full size truck. Many people tell me I'm foolish, I don't need a full size truck. Well ya know, they might be right, but I don't care, I still want my next truck to be a full size.

There has been lots of talk about Honda getting V8 engines from GM for their truck and if that were the case, there is no way I would consider it. I've owned Chevy products before and am not going there again.

This is my next truck, and I suspect it is going to squash the Tundra, and give Ford, Dodge and Chevy a run for their money.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not unless it would do some serious towing. My racecar is pulled inside a 20ft enclosed trailer. I spent the weekend with two large horses in our gooseneck horse trailer. I do a lot of towing and our GM Quadrasteer does a great job for us. I couldn't do it with any less of a truck. I will take a good look at Hood's favorite when it comes out but I expect my next truck will again have 4 wheel steering. It might even more heavy duty than what I have now.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by CG
I will take a good look at Hood's favorite when it comes out but I expect my next truck will again have 4 wheel steering. It might even more heavy duty than what I have now.
That's exactly what I'm talking about!
I'm convinced; buying a truck is like buying a boat. As soon as you get it, you realize you should have bought a bigger one...

My next truck will be my first full size, and I'm going that route so I can get a trailer and start taking My Spa to the track on it. This will give me the freedom to go to some places I have always dreamed of, like Road America.

What hooked me on the Titan
- comes with 5-speed auto, that is designed to be shifted if desired
- towing capacity big enough that I will never exceed 75% of its rating
- electronic locking rear differential
- nice big king cab, with rear doors that swing open all the way, not just 90 degrees
- 300+ horsepower and 375+ ft-lbs torque
- an innovative bed that comes with spray-in liner
- more than 10 years of happy ownership with two Nissan 4x4 V6 King Cabs

I have always heard that if Honda does come to North America with a truck it will be with a full-size truck first. I sure hope they know what they are doing. North America is all about full size pickups, and if they don't have the formula down like Nissan does, they will suffer the same pain Toyota did when they introduced 7/8 of a full size truck when they came out with the T100. And to me, the Tundra is still too small to really compete with Ford, Dodge and Chevy. And wow, I test drove on of the '04 F150s last week. Clearly this segment of the market is very strong, and to sell products Honda had better blow the doors off the competition, and as much as I love Honda, I don't think they are going to pull it off.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a Nissan truck for a few years and it was great, it just wasn't big enough or powerful enough to do everything I needed it to do. I think the Titan will be a great truck and I love the specs on it. Hood, I know you don't like GM products and I'm not going to try to change your mind, but just for giggles, find and drive a new GM truck with Quadrasteer. Park it in tight spots, make U-turns that would be touchy in anything much bigger than a CRX, turn tight corners without having to go wide, swap lanes at 60 mph, etc. It won't change your mind about GM but I think you'll understand why I like it so much. It would be even better if they had a trailer for you to tow on the test drive.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well it will not be body-on-frame but unibody design and if you can picture a Honda Pilot with a 5 Ft bed attached aft of the rear doors then that is a pretty good idea. AHM is going to debut it at the North American Car show in Detroit in January .
Old 10-07-2003, 05:29 AM

Hey CG, I have experienced the quadra-steer with a trailer, but from the passenger's seat.
A friend of mine has one for towing his BMW to driving schools, he loves it, and I will admit, I can see why! Several people I know have Silverados and they love them. No doubt, when it comes to full size trucks, Ford, Dodge and Chevy all make some really good products.

My nasty GM experience was with a brand new '94 S10, 4x4, extended cab, optional V6.

Quick Reply: Honda Pick-up...would you?