S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Honda's 1.5L turbo problems

Old 03-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Hi Bob, who know what an MGA was. It appears you are one of the lucky ones, for-what-ever-reason that know one can explain. Thanks for sharing.
Please don't confuse me with the BobinPA on the CR-V forum. Although I am a Bob in PA and I do know what MGAs are.
I hope things work out for you guys with your CR-V. Are you having any heat issues?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveaholic
Please don't confuse me with the BobinPA on the CR-V forum. Although I am a Bob in PA and I do know what MGAs are.
I hope things work out for you guys with your CR-V. Are you having any heat issues?
Being from Western PA myself I should not be making assumptions. My mistake.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM

I found this photo and post by screen name vpp1999 and thought I would share his comments about the 1.5L turbo valve cover.

Note the built in "catch can" baffles that condense vapors from the crankcase prior to going to the intake manifold (blue arrows). Those baffles help keep build up of materials off the valves (issue on GDI engines), but also condenses out gasoline vapor from the crankcase right back into the motor oil. The valve cover being plastic means it doesn't get hot through conduction and is probably super efficient on condensing out those crankcase vapors (including gasoline vapors). The cooler that these baffles are the more efficient they will be on condensing gasoline vapors back into the motor oil, so probably why the OD issue is worse in cold weather.

An external gas/oil separator is the only sure way to remove residual gasoline from your motor oil. Residual gasoline in the motor oil just doesn't get burned off when these baffles keep condensing the crankcase vapors back into the oil.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-12-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I found this photo and post by screen name vpp1999 and thought I would share his comments about the 1.5L turbo valve cover.

Note the built in "catch can" baffles that condense vapors from the crankcase prior to going to the intake manifold (blue arrows). Those baffles help keep build up of materials off the valves (issue on GDI engines), but also condenses out gasoline vapor from the crankcase right back into the motor oil. The valve cover being plastic means it doesn't get hot through conduction and is probably super efficient on condensing out those crankcase vapors (including gasoline vapors). The cooler that these baffles are the more efficient they will be on condensing gasoline vapors back into the motor oil, so probably why the OD issue is worse in cold weather.

An external gas/oil separator is the only sure way to remove residual gasoline from your motor oil. Residual gasoline in the motor oil just doesn't get burned off when these baffles keep condensing the crankcase vapors back into the oil.
I like it. Explains the whole problem. He may not be right about it, but it sounds good and these days that's all we need to break out the pitch forks and torches. LET'S KILL HONDA!!!!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Bill, how's that compare to the underside of valve cover on your 3000? About the same, right?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM

The old expression "follow the math" appears to be the key reason Honda has handle this issue the way they have. A subscription only financial analyst report on Honda just reviewed indicates Honda had the lowest profitability of any of the major carmakers on a per vehicle basis. They estimate the profit was just 2% per Honda vehicle. Subaru was the highest at 9% even better than Toyota at 7%. The big issue with Honda is they don't get enough production out of their plants compared to the others. This may also be a reason for them taking a very short-term view on the OD issue and pretending it doesn't exist. They can't afford to hurt their profits. Motorcycles were very profitable for Honda.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:07 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

^^^ Interesting. Honda doesn't do fleet sales. I wonder how that impacts their per-unit profitability.
Now let me head to the storage shed for my pitch fork.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 AM

Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a friend with a 2019 Civic SI and beyond upset having been back to the dealership 5 times this winter
Old 04-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

We were talking tonight and we may be looking at Toyota or GM to replace our 2013 CR-V. I may wait and see if Honda recognizes the problem and either fixes or changes the engine.

Quick Reply: Honda's 1.5L turbo problems