S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Honoring Our Veterans

Old 05-22-2019, 04:23 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

My ex served during Desert Shield and Desert Storm (1989-1993 - Active, 1994-1995 - Reservist), which is how I was inducted into the Veteran world, although all my Frateral uncles all served in WWII/Korea (my Dad was medically discharged and didn't get out of boot camp).

Don't have any of my Uncle's intel. I remember growing up and one of my Uncle's would parade his military Jeep in the Independence Day parade.

Last edited by JoePhotographer; 05-22-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Never Forget.

The following 2 users liked this post by trapper:
JoePhotographer (05-22-2019), stock06 (09-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

To all those who died, defending this country.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:07 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm very proud of my family's military service. Both the Irish and Italian sides served well in WW11 and Vietnam.

My Family Veterans
WWII
Capt. John Sciaraffa USA- posthumous Purple Heart, Silver Star, Tank Commander, killed in Normandy Invasion 6 June 1944.
Lt. Cmdr. Louis Servizio USN- Distinguised Flying Cross, Purple Heart, DOD 6 January 2011 interred in Arlington National Cemetery
William Cash, SSgt, USA, served in post D-Day Europe.
Harold Cash, Sgt, USA (my Dad), served in post D-Day France, Belgium & Germany
Clarence Cash, Cpl, USA, served in post D-Day France
Earl Cash, PO, USN, served on a destroyer in Pacific theater

Vietnam
Lt. Col. Joseph Cortazze, USMC, Honors BM in mathematics, Brown Univ., 1964, multiple Vietnam tours from 1965-1971, 4-purple hearts, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Combat ribbon with "V" for valor, relieved due to severe wounds, headed the Vietnam Veterans Association in Revere, MA 16 years up to his death in 2006.
Anthony Sciaraffa, Sgt., USMC, Quang Nam province 1966-1967
John Cash, SSgt, USMC, killed in Quang Nam province in 1968
Harold Cash, Cpl, USMC, served in Quang Nam, Binh Tai provinces 1966-1967
Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

My grandfather severed in WWI in France.
My father served in WWII in the Pacific.
Patty's father served in WWII in France and was wounded in Normandy.........for the other side!

May they all rest in peace. Thank you for your service no matter the side you were on!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Like you folks, I have a similar list.

Father
WWII, Pharmacists Mate 3rd class and hospital corpsman in the US Navy

Father-in-Law
WWII, during his nearly 5 years in the US Army he was a stretcher-bearer for 3-1/2 years during the invasion of Italy and Africa. He suffered chronic post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) the rest of his life.

Uncle
WWII, Infantry Sargent in the US Army who was killed in action shortly after the D-day invasion on 11 July 1944 in an assault on a German machine gun nest near St. Lo, France. He was 28 years old.

Cousins
> WWII, Soundman on a minesweeper in US Navy
> WWII, Ensign in US Navy
> Korean War, Corporal in Army National Guard, called to duty in 1950
> Electricians mate master chief in US Naval Reserve
> US Army from 1953 to 1955
> Vietnam War, Lieutenant Commander in US Navy. Highly decorated Annapolis graduate with two tours in Vietnam. Awarded Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
> Vietnam War, 1st Lieutenant in Marines; National Defense Service Medal
> Vietnam War, Nurse in Army Nurse Corps based in Pleiku. As reported years later in a Pittsburgh newspaper story, much of her time was spent in the emergency room being the first to see and treat the casualties during the time of some of the fiercest fighting, including the battle of Doc Tho and the Tet offensive. At one point, her base was attacked and communications to the outside world were entirely cut off for three days.

Me
Airman 1st in Air Force
Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many of you my family has a LONG heritage of serving in the US military! All of our were Army.

Grandfather: Active Duty Army (stationed all over the globe) Much in fact all of my uncles (including my father) were born on US military installations all over.
3 Uncles: 2 did their contracts of 4 years, 1 is still in (E-8, been deployed 5 times and leaving in a few months for Kuwait)
My dad: Retired after 26 years, his MOS never got him deployed (what a POG, JK)
Myself: 9 years in, medically retired @ E-5. Planned on doing a full 20. Deployed in 06 to Iraq. Worked on Apaches.

God Bless all of our Troops! Thank all of you for your service!
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (05-22-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

My father served in the Army AIr Corps during World War II. Because of his clothing industry experience, he was a Quartermaster.
My Uncle Ben served in the Army during World War II. He was an Optometrist and served in the Medical Corps.
My Uncle Stanley served in the Navy during World War II. He was an engineer on the USS Canberra and the only survivor of the torpedoing of the engine room. He was on deck on break when a Japanese submarine torpedoed the ship.
My Father In Law joined the Army during World War II. He was trained as an airplane mechanic. Upon his honorable discharge, he was awarded citizenship and was able to return to China to bring his wife to America.
My Uncle Mersch served in the Army during the Korean War. He was in the Signal Corps.
My Cousin Bruce was in the Navy during Vietnam. He was a doctor serving in the Medical Corps.
My Brother in Law Bill served in the Army during Vietnam.
My Brother In Law Steve served in the Army during Vietnam.
My Cousin Steven was in the Army during the conflict in Afganistan.

Thankfully they all came home in one piece and lived for many years afterward. My family was very lucky. Many families were not.

To all of those who served, some who came home and some who did not, our neverending gratitude and respect. To properly honor all of those who served and especially those who gave their lives, it is for us to find a way to end these horrific wars and conflicts. More than enough men and women have already died.

Last edited by ralper; 05-23-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:00 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Did you notice that the woman vet in the pic above has on a Rosie the Riveter hat? I thought that was cool. And in the group pic of the Marines in front of the Iwo, the one with a big grin on his face was very funny. He gave me a big hug.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Quick Reply: Honoring Our Veterans