S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How About Pics of Your Ride?

Old 07-16-2017, 06:53 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Peter (I know that's not really your name but again I have forgotten your true moniker): Those aren't Minilites. They are (as described) RS Watanabes. Trust me...Minilite did not offer a rim in a 4x120 PCD unless you had them custom drilled which nobody who was driving a Honda could afford back in 79.

Ray: Sorry. I am FLYING to upstate New York where I am picking up a Mustang rental. (Hey, it was the most entertaining rental I could afford.)

Patty, what a brilliant graphical illustration of what a little more roll stiffness up front can do. Not only is body lean greatly reduced, but looking at the front tires, it looks like your steering angle is a lot less from a big reduction in understeer. I have always admired your beautiful NSX. My budget would only permit ownership of a 1991 and they didn't really come in any pretty colors, unless black is a pretty color. Red was ok. Sure looked good on Val's s2000. But that blue...OMG. You do know the new NSX is available in Nouvelle Blue Pearl, right? Looks damn fine in that color, too.
[EDIT] Sorry, Patty. I just re-read your post and I see you are already aware. You've seen pics of the NSX in Nouvelle Blue, right?

Dave: Factory options weren't really a thing on 1G Accords. The raft of standard features was one of the things that made them such a hit. Stuff like a tachometer, a maintenance reminder, AM/FM, intermittent wipers, rear window washer/wiper/defogger, tinted glass, and low fuel warning light were only options on other cars at that time or standard only on high end models. But all this and more was on the Accord. Heck, the LX even came with standard power steering, A/C, and a cassette player. This was unheard of in 1976 when the 1G was introduced. Honda's secret was in reducing production cost because every Accord LX or base was the same except for color, rather than having to be configured to a customer order for a combination of options. This allowed Honda to offer these normally "optional" features at a really good price.

Options were pretty much limited to things the dealer could offer and install like alloy wheels, bumper style bars (overriders), rear window louvers, floor mats, and the like. These high-margin items made the dealers very happy and helped Honda establish a dealer network beyond the motorcycle shops that had sold the S500/600/800 and N-series cars up to that point. Honda made brilliant little cars back then. The engineering was fantastic for the time. But the marketing was every bit as inspired.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 PM
tof

Nice tag, Lainey. What a pretty little roadster you guys found. But watch where you park it. Nice shot of the Silverstone (fastest color) S2000, too. And I like how you installed the S2000 decal on the back side of the wind blocker so those behind you (pretty much everybody, right?) could read it.

[Edit] Thanks, Emil, for the kind words.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Photos? I gotta have blue. I wasn't interested in any other color NSX when I was looking in 2009. On the other hand, the new NSX looks very nice in the Valencia Red Pearl. I have yet to see it in person in Novuelle Blue Pearl.
I have seen it in person, and in that color. It's much better looking in person, I have yet to see a photo that does it justice.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Nice tag, Lainey. What a pretty little roadster you guys found. But watch where you park it. Nice shot of the Silverstone (fastest color) S2000, too. And I like how you installed the S2000 decal on the back side of the wind blocker so those behind you (pretty much everybody, right?) could read it.
The "tag" is just a little text to block the real tag info, but I bet you figured it out. He was waiting for me while I was off with the camera....he's a patient guy. I did buy him a couple beers at the end of our photo ride.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 PM

My S

My Si
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 4,957 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Dave: Factory options weren't really a thing on 1G Accords. The raft of standard features was one of the things that made them such a hit.
Looks like you've done your homework - as I was sure you did. Impressive car for the time - - that's for sure. So they did have A/C as standard - I would think that's a requirement in the south. I don't recall if my '83 had it......... and I should because I know we drove it to FL in the summer to the middle of state where it was unreal hot.....that I will never ever forget at cypress gardens.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 AM
tof

Dave, A/C was standard on the LX but was not available on the standard model or the four door when it hit in 79. Might have been a dealer-installed option but if not, I bet they mostly sold LX's in the South. Although throughout the sixties and into the seventies, most southerners made do with 470 A/C. Roll down four windows and go seventy. Regarding research, I snatched this one up the afternoon I first saw it advertised on Craig''s List. I did a short test drive and looked at the service documentation and bought it without so much as a PPI or even a test drive over 35 mph. Not sure I even tried 5th gear. But it had very low mileage, a solid ownership and maintenance histiory, was pretty much rust free and, well, I just wanted it so good sense went out the window. Fortunately it turned out to be a really fine example.

Back when it was released,I wanted an Accord after reading the first Car and Driver reviews, and read everything I could get my hands on about the car. At the time the payments were out of reach as Sandy and I were both attending college. When our old car, a Subaru, was totaled (don't ask), we purchased a new Mazda GLC instead. A few years later, I did purchase a second gen Accord hatchback and it was an absolute joy. In terms of driving dynamics it was head and shoulders above everything else I test drove. But one thing I have researched a good bit since buying "Ol' Gray" is the CVCC combustion system. Fun fact: The CVCC Civics and Accords were among a tiny handful of 1979 models that still had the big hole for gas, since they had no cats and could run leaded gas if the owner chose to do so.

Speaking of Gray, Rob, seeing the pic of your Sebring Silver S reminds me of how some of us Silverstone owners would tease Raul ("airgate"), the main organizer of Dragonball Run and Wake the dragon. We would say how nice his Sebring S2000 looked in gray. He would stew a little and correct us with "It's SEBRING SILVER, not gray." Your AP1 looks super clean. But there is a problem with your vanity tag. Everyone knows that Silverstone is the fastest color, with Sebring Silver a very close second. BTW, I like the crystal black pearl on the Si. Tones down the crazy faux intakes. I bet its a ball to drive.

Rob, I also saw a blue NSX in person and up close in the Acura pavilion at New Orleans Jazz Fest. (They are a major sponsor).I agree that pictures can't begin to capture just how good it looks. If I was in the market for a 175K sports car it would be on my very short list.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Love that early Accord!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 4,957 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Mark, I love that photo. That's what the S2000 was made for IMHO. Reminded me of mine in this shot from 2008, although the photo is not nearly a cool as yours.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by tof

Speaking of Gray, Rob, seeing the pic of your Sebring Silver S reminds me of how some of us Silverstone owners would tease Raul ("airgate"), the main organizer of Dragonball Run and Wake the dragon. We would say how nice his Sebring S2000 looked in gray. He would stew a little and correct us with "It's SEBRING SILVER, not gray." Your AP1 looks super clean. But there is a problem with your vanity tag. Everyone knows that Silverstone is the fastest color, with Sebring Silver a very close second. BTW, I like the crystal black pearl on the Si. Tones down the crazy faux intakes. I bet its a ball to drive.

Rob, I also saw a blue NSX in person and up close in the Acura pavilion at New Orleans Jazz Fest. (They are a major sponsor).I agree that pictures can't begin to capture just how good it looks. If I was in the market for a 175K sports car it would be on my very short list.
Actually, Sebring Silver is the fastest color. My license plates represent the certification of that by the great state of New Jersey, and you know that state governments, especially states like New Jersey, always get it right. Any state that has Chris Christie and Snooky as residents must have something on the ball.

The Si is a blast to drive. I had a 2006 Si and I loved it. I'm having a great deal of fun with the new one. I can't think of any other daily driver I'd rather have. I only have about 750 miles on it so far. I'll write more about it after 1,500 miles. I originally ordered it in the dark grey, but when I saw it in black I decided to take it. Not that the black looks better than the grey, but there is too much going on and too many color contrasts with the other colors because of the black bumpers and the bumper inserts. Black makes everything blend together.

From the pictures that I'd seen, I wasn't a big fan of the new NSX, but when I saw it in person at the Honda Heritage Museum in Ohio i changed my mind. In person the car is magnificent. I can't help but think the same sort of reaction will happen with the new Accord.

Quick Reply: How About Pics of Your Ride?