S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How do you define "sports car"?

Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,May 27 2010, 08:06 PM
How do you define "sports car"? What does the term mean to you?
To me its any car that rewards me for going out in it. Its when a daily commute becomes a pleasure and something I look forward to. Its when my most peaceful and tranqil moments are spent as Im driving it (my wife complains that I never talk much when we drive, I tend to get immerssed in the driving experience).

As far as size, number of doors, curb weight etc, I dont think they matter as much. The only thing I'd want is a manual transmission, and that the car be nimble regardless of its size and weight. I want a car that communicates with me and tells me when Im wrong with my input and rewards me when my inputs are smooth. I like the fact that my Honda's force me to be a better driver, if I want to be fast. Lacking in low end torque they require me to be smooth and keep the revs high, all of which requires discipline (Im still learning).

I am at peace when I drive either of my cars and I hope I can keep my Si and S2000 for a long time to come, and hopefully someday find a Long Beach Blue Pearl NSX to park alongside them or a CR-Z Si/Type-R.

All in all, I think the answer to the question "How do you define "sports car"? " is, it depends on the driver. A sports car is no different from any sleeper car in the hands of an untrained driver, and a sleeper car can hang out with the best in the hands of an exceptional driver (which Im not)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:32 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 28 2010, 07:23 AM
Easy. If I think it's a sports car - it is. Otherwise it is not. So if you have doubts, just ask me.
I agree with you except for when we disagree at which point you can ask me
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least one person (spouse, relative, friend, or coworker) should ask "Has he lost his mind? or "Is this some sort of mid-life crisis?"
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2,May 28 2010, 09:03 AM
To me its any car that rewards me for going out in it.
No, no. There are "sporty cars" but there are few true "sports cars."
Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 28 2010, 12:33 PM
No, no. There are "sporty cars" but there are few true "sports cars."
It was just my opinion. My Brother-in-law thinks everthing other than a thorough-bred sports car (read Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus) is a sporty car including his E36 M3. A lot of people also say a FWD is not a sports car.

I have a different view thats all

As you are probably aware your average sedan has come a long way from its humble origins
Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2,May 28 2010, 01:56 PM
It was just my opinion. My Brother-in-law thinks everthing other than a thorough-bred sports car (read Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Lotus) is a sporty car including his E36 M3. A lot of people also say a FWD is not a sports car.

I have a different view thats all

As you are probably aware your average sedan has come a long way from its humble origins
Sedan and sports car do not belong in the same sentence. Popeye summed it up!

Two seat,manual trans roadster

Or ask dlq/Dave. He's old and knows lots of stuff about cars.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,May 28 2010, 09:32 AM
I agree with you except for when we disagree at which point you can ask me
Ok, you guys will be the Vintage sports car moniker police. Once you have agreed, then we can all ask you for the definitive view and the right stuff! ! Still, -- I personally would like to know in advance what you are going to decide. Is Rio in or not?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Lainey,May 28 2010, 01:03 PM
Sedan and sports car do not belong in the same sentence. Popeye summed it up!

Two seat,manual trans roadster

Or ask dlq/Dave. He's old and knows lots of stuff about cars.
^ As I said before, just my opinion.

I've grown up riding around in boxy sedans (Fiat's and Morris) and as I grew so did the performance of those boxes (or toaster ovens as some would call them). For me its all about the spirit of the car and the driver that makes it a sports experience. Im in no way shape or form dismissing the notion that a roadster with two seats is not a sports car, all Im saying is that for me the term sports car is broader.

This will always be a sportscar in my mind, at the risk of souding blasphemous.

^ Woodstock, the BMW 2002, multiple winner of Targa Newfoundland. Im sure several of you know this car. Picture was taken at Watkins Glen last month.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I'll give you sports sedan, but not sports car.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Obviously there are many opinions regarding the qualities that qualify an automobile as a "sports car". I believe a sports car is an automobile designed and engineered with a great emphasis on the driving experience with minimal consideration to any particular transportation mission. This definition is not as broad as it might seem at first. Cars like the BMW M3 and Cadillac CTS-V would be excluded because most of the design and engineering effort incorporated in these sub-models was directed at the parent model and most design and engineering decisions took into consideration things like passenger and cargo space, passenger comfort, and luxury level appointments.

Quick Reply: How do you define "sports car"?