S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How do you define "sports car"?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by tof,May 28 2010, 01:46 PM
Obviously there are many opinions regarding the qualities that qualify an automobile as a "sports car". I believe a sports car is an automobile designed and engineered with a great emphasis on the driving experience with minimal consideration to any particular transportation mission. This definition is not as broad as it might seem at first. Cars like the BMW M3 and Cadillac CTS-V would be excluded because most of the design and engineering effort incorporated in these sub-models was directed at the parent model and most design and engineering decisions took into consideration things like passenger and cargo space, passenger comfort, and luxury level appointments.
point well made.

I find it hard to argue with your logic. The economics of building an out and out sports car may not be rewarding to the auto makers, which is why they build on exisiting plain-jane models. But to their credit these cars pack plenty of sport. The Compass 360 Si's are leading the field in the Continental Series and were the championship winner last season. The M3 is widely accepeted as a race-ready car as is the Mazdaspeed 3. The sports car as traditionally defined may be the bastion of few as time progresses.

Honda has not met with runaway success when it comes to the NSX and the S2000, but if you looked at the Civic Si's they've been selling very well. The 5th gen Si was unique and purpose-built but never sold in vast numbers like the 6th gen has.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Since just about any car ever made has been entered into some form of competition, that's not a good test. Broadly speaking, sports cars are those in which performance takes priority over carrying capacity, but within these limits a tremendous variety of cars have been made. Years back I would have said it's not how the car's are used but what were the manufacturer's intentions. However, the auto company PR types have pumped out so much media garbage that anything can be called a sports car; I've heard them use the term for SUV's! There's no perfect answer to the question - and I don't recall there ever has been. Sometime's it's easier to say what isn't a sports car. First off, it can't be a sports car if it has four doors and so on......... to suggest a Civic is a sports car makes me want to Is it a sporty sedan, sure, it is now but it certainly was not when it initially was born. It was designed as a economy car and over the years developed sporty features. Can it out handle, out accelerate, and out perform many sports cars - sure. Does that then make it a sports car - not in my book. Bottom line, the term sports car has lost all meaning assuming it ever could be defined with clarity --- but Rob and I know one when we see one.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dlq04,May 28 2010, 01:59 PM]...Bottom line, the term sports car has lost all meaning assuming it ever could be defined with clarity --- but Rob and I know one when we see one.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokes Man,May 28 2010, 05:27 PM
^^ In other words, the "sports cars" you're referring to depends heavily upon you to keep it alive?? It's kinda like having a mechanical pet?
I'll be glad when Patty gets home to get you back in line!

I'm off to a cruise night... it's Cali-forny night sunny and beautiful so there will be huge turnout. Can't say +1 is happy to go but being a big spender I did offer to buy popcorn. Heck, I told we might even find a true sports car somewhere in the mix.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it's impossible to create a definition that has no exceptions, but it is possible to lay down some general characteristics that acknowledge specific exceptions.

-Trait (exception)

-2 seats (911, Evora)
-Front Engine, Rear drive (Elise, Exige, Evora, Cayman, Boxster, 911, R8)
-Cheaper than a V8 Ferrari, which is the top of the sports car range or bottom of the super car range, depending on how you want to look at it.
-Manual Trans available (but not necessarily spec'd)
-fun to drive (none)

Sports cars sold today: Miata, Elise, Exige, Boxster, Cayman, Evora, 911, Corvette, Viper, Audi R8, Aston Martin Vantage....

There may be others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ohh, and here's a discussion for you: Is the Tesla Roadster a sports car?

Not having driven one, I say yes...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

This is what I like about Vintage. Anywhere else (even with family) I'd have to get my flame suit on. That said, thought I'd share this video with you

---

---
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TurF3nOpIwc [/media]
Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

and while we are on this topic, my wife and I were out to dinner one night. As we walked out of the restaurant towards a relatively empty parking lot, we found this parked behind our S. I could not help but take pics

I hope you enjoy them, even though the cellphone (or my shaky hand) did not do a good job.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,May 28 2010, 05:48 PM
I'm off to a cruise night... it's Cali-forny night sunny and beautiful so there will be huge turnout. Can't say +1 is happy to go but being a big spender I did offer to buy popcorn. Heck, I told we might even find a true sports car somewhere in the mix.
And we know you will know one when you see it!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dlq04,May 28 2010, 02:48 PM]I'll be glad when Patty gets home to get you back in line!

Quick Reply: How do you define "sports car"?