S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How many of you here have owned an MGB?

Old 08-28-2003, 06:42 PM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts
Default How many of you here have owned an MGB?

I have a feeling we have a lot of former MGB owners here. I previously had a 73 MGB.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by robb
I have a feeling we have a lot of former MGB owners here. I previously had a 73 MGB.
I had a 72. British Racing Green (of course).
Old 08-29-2003, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned two of them (both on a T plate - whatever year that was) One was Yellow and one was pageant Blue.

The yellow one was destroyed by an ex GF when she parked it in the railing of a Dual carridgeway central reservation
Old 08-29-2003, 08:17 AM

I own a 1974 orange MBG. I loved the car but mechanical/electrical was always a problem. I made one mistake when I purchased it I bought it with air conditioning(Live in Houston Tx) bogged down engine. I should have known the car was going to be undependable, the first day I got it, coming home from a night of late night partying it die on me for the first time. Had it towed in to dealer shop was hopping mad, come to find out the battery had touch the body and shorted out/not recharging. It went down hill from there.

Tommy D:
Old 08-29-2003, 11:37 AM

My first car, a '69 MG with a '64 engine. It was great . . . when it ran. The chicks REALLY did dig it. You gotta remember this was when '75 Trans Ams were considered cool.

My dad told me I could have any car I wanted as long as I paid for it myself (he told me the same thing about graduate school), so after several months of busing tables at the local Shoney's I bought it for cash.

Dad wouldn't contribute any money to the upkeep. Wanted to teach me a lesson about responsibility. He did help me re-weld the battery cage (remember? under the rear "seat"? two six volt negative ground jobbers as I remember) after it rusted out and after dragging a 6 volt battery down the road for a few hundred yards. Also helped me replace the "dampeners" after the seals rotted out and hydraulic fluid leaked all over the driveway. I bought one of those little syncro tools in a feable effort to syncronize the carbs . . . various and sundry electrical problems (Oh Great Lucas, Lord of Darkness . . . .)

The tires sucked on the car, but dad wouldn't help replace them, and I couldn't afford it, so I showed him . . . went around a tight corner on a rain slick road, lost control, head on into a telephone pole at 35 mph. Huge imprint of the phone pole in the front of the car, 14 stitches in my 16 year old head.

Got $250 in salvage toward the car which I put towards an Opel GT (My mini-Vette). The tires sucked on that car, too, but Dad did spring for for a new set of Michelin Blems.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:07 PM

My first new car was a '67 Triumph TR-4A (IRS). Great car with absolutely none of the legendary Brit problems. It had (factory) spoked mag wheels, a rarity back then.

A few years later I bought a low-mileage used MGB. Nothing - and I mean nothing - but trouble.

An aside: a good friend of mine was killed in his MGA while he was parked at night trying to bring his (Lucas) electrics back to life. A drunk driver drove up the back of his car like it was a ramp, killing Dick instantly and leaving his girlfriend untouched! Now there's a good Lucas story, eh?

I have a Midget parked in my garage now: A '69 in perfect condition except for a worn interior. It was my wife's first car, which is the only reason we keep the little rat around at all.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:11 AM

Hello everyone
I think I am back as I am again looking to buy another S2000 after being out of one for over one year.
I did have a blue 60 MG "A" which I dearly loved. I was presented with a gift from Dad while a Senior in college and drove it for several years until I went to work and graduated into Corvette which I raced SCCA for several years in the midwest.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a 1967 MGB - yellow, that I had repainted British Green. I bought it in 1976 and loved driving it but it really was a "royal" PITA. But you know what? I really didn't care because it was so much fun driving it and tinkering with it. I had to order a driver's side tail-light lens three times because it would fall off somewhere while I was driving and the top was a really big hassle to put up and take off. The carbs were the type that you had to check the oil in everyday and while I owned it for three years, it spent around 6 months in the shop getting the motor worked on. I remember one day sitting at a red light and all of a sudden the steam coming out of the hood and from under the car was caused from the thermostat housing blowing a hole through the side.

This got me looking through my old photo albums and finding a couple of pictures. I thought I had one with me in it, but could not find any. Anyway here is my MGB back in 1977.

Old 08-30-2003, 08:26 PM

oh yes .... started my love affair with 2seaters in an 850 Fiat Spyder ... ( yes ...back when Mach I's ... GTO's and Cuda's were the rides of choice in my high school .... quickly traded into a Triumph Spitfire .... then into MGB's ( three of em !) ..... then .... 15 years of kids, cross country trips, and .... mostly VOLVO's. Bought another 72'MGB .... did the total restoration trip ( attempted concours competition ... very boring!) .... and ended up with an overly restored car that I was/am afraid to drive. The MGB sits in a garage .... goes to a few shows .... and an occassional drive.

BUT .... last summer ..... traded the last Volvo for my S2K ...... and ....its absolutely magic! .... Daily driver ..... 30,000 per year .....

Part of its charm is that .... in many ways ..... it's everything the MGB was to me years ago! .... heck .... I dont even mind the factory console treatment ...cuz it reminds me of the B.

As an old fart... I'm still convinced that the MGB was one of the best all around "drivers car" of our time. It had great lines .... good heritage ..... reasonable manners .... affordable habits ...... an "common mans" sports car!

I look at my Honda in the same way! ...... as corny as this sounds .... at night ... when I pull the Honda into the garage .... park it beside the MGB ..... and turn to look at them together just before I turn out the lights ..... I always SMILE.....

..... sorry folks .... thanks for letting me ramble ....
Old 08-31-2003, 08:00 AM

My first new car was a BRG 1969 MGB. I paid $3150 for it. I kept it for 10 years and didn't have most of the Lucas electronics problems that people speak of. The plastic rear window would turn yellow and the tops didn't last nearly as long as the tops of today. I could do all the maintenance myself, because it was easy. I adjusted the valves, replaced the water and fuel pumps and of course added oil to those two su carbs every couple weeks. I've owned many cars since then, but that MG has remained my favorite.

Quick Reply: How many of you here have owned an MGB?