S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How many of you here have owned an MGB?

Old 09-07-2003, 07:24 AM

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Hey Monkey Rob Mom actually did have one! I LOVED IT! I bought it brand new in 1973 it was Blue W/tan interior. This was in CALI of course and I drove it pretty much Top Down all the time I even thought the S reminded me of it when I first got my S. Just the roadsterness and the non fancyness of the S. Meaning after lookin at that Lexus 430 and then at the S or the Z3 or Boxter its just a whole different type of car. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD I chose the S!

The MGB was a fun car too unfortunatly I did have some trouble with it like ahhhh it actually caught on fire once well this kinda promted me to let go of it to hard to upkeep! I will try to find a pic for ya and throw it in here later!
Old 09-07-2003, 07:27 AM

PS I also had driven a Midget for awhile when they were workin on the MGB and that was a lido tooooo small/scary I think my FAVORITE Old School conv would have to be the TRIUMPH TR6 I LOVE that car! I see a few on the road here in WA but not very many around anymore. Again Im sure thats a hard one to keep up!
Old 09-07-2003, 06:07 PM
kem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a couple of Midgets years ago - a 68 and a 72. Fun to drive when they ran right - which was rarely.
Biggest problem was it was my only car at the time - found out who my friends were when I was bumming rides all the time.
The 68 had wire wheels with worn hub splines - accelerate quickly and the axle would spin and make noise without going anywhere.
Lucas electrics - lots of wiring problems, including two dashboard fires!
Mechanical stuff too - Throttle return spring snapped so I drove around at full throttle for a while. Radiator problems forced me to run the heater full blast all the time. Cheaply made parts (shocks, clutch master cylinder) kept wearing out. Finally sold it when I wasn't strong enough to move the shift lever into reverse - and I'm pretty strong.

I think all of those who whine about S2000 problems should own an MG for a couple of months.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by kem

I think all of those who whine about S2000 problems should own an MG for a couple of months.
Or a Triumph or a Fiat. Or a Jag.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-07-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

OMG, not this again. Every time I answer this question I feel like no one will believe me. My brother owned a spors car repair shop and I (10 years his junior) literally cut my eye teeth on british sports cars. He gave me a junk-yard salvage E-Type to get "road ready" while I was still 15 years old. I actually paid my way through college buying and selling used british sports cars out of my mothers driveway. I would drive one each semester, sell it for tuition money for the next semester, pay tuition and then buy another "clap-trap" with the left over cash and start fixing it up again. The "short" list:

5 MGAs

3 MGBs

5 Bugeye Sprites

1 Square body Sprite

1 E-Type

1 XK-150

1 Vanden Plas Princess (Austin America version)

I won't bore you with the cars from other countries...

I had many crazy winters driving british sports cars through snow and ice on crap tires. That's how I learned to drive sideways. I actually used to use the hand-crank that came with the MGAs to get them started in the winter. I thought my '68 MGB-GT was "The Perfect Winter Car" because it had a radio that worked and actually got warm enough to take off my winter jacket inside. I listen to people today complain that they need all wheel drive for winter driving and just laugh.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:59 PM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vtecmom
[B]PS I also had driven a Midget for awhile when they were workin on the MGB and that was a lido tooooo small/scary
Old 09-08-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by robb

Hey Mom You can' tell me a midget was too small for you I had one for almost 10 years and I'm 6'3 240lbs!

Robb its toooooo small the one thing I DID like about it was the 3 winshield wipers that was cool
Old 09-10-2003, 05:15 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Being 19 at the time and had worked all summer i managed to save enough money to pay half for a 73 MGB
My dad against his better judgment put up the other half. It was pretty much downhill from there. I had all the carb problems and electrical too. I pushed it about as much as i drove it. Although it did manage to get me thru college. The last straw was when the trany cratered and i didn't have the bucks to replace it, so dear ole dad came to the rescue under the condition that i get rid of it. Sold it and got married and bought a 76 TR7. The horrors never ended.

Wating for the 04s
Old 09-13-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES! I had a 1972 Teal Blue MGB. It was great fun for its day --- S2K is a refined MGB in many ways --- 31 years make a huge difference in auto technology --- also in the price you pay...

I, too, had a TR7 --- Brown --- it was fun until I cleverly managed to crease the top when I dropped the garage door in the center of it.... not a great day...

Quick Reply: How many of you here have owned an MGB?