S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How much do you tip in restaurants?

Old 10-22-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zip? 10%? 20%? More?
Given average service in a moderately priced establishment?
Swanky restaurant?
Diner?
Bell people? How much per suitcase? Parking attendant?
While in Mexico, there were people that would open the bathroom door for me and stick their hand out. Arriving in Cancun, people had their hand out for anything and everything. What do you consider to be tipable?
Hair Salon?
Barber $12 haircut?
I know it all depends on the service but on the average?

I tip accordingly. Real bad service gets as little as descent in order to show my displeasure. Average service gets 10%. Good service gets 15% and outstanding service with smiles and good timing gets 20-25%.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Wait staff food service must be horrid for me to go below 15%. Good service is around 18%. Great service is 20%. I go no higher, unless by accident.

I carry my own bags and pump my own gas. Nothing for those guys. Bellman who calls me a cab, $2. Take-out food I pick up, zip! Delivery, $3 to $4.

Haircut? See my avatar. I do this myself or with the wife's good assistance and we don't tip eachother.

Bartender gets a buck for my first drink, two for two or three in a round. If he or she remembers me when they see me a little later coming for the second drink and pay prompt attention, they get another buck. If they don't and make me wait needlessly, they get whatever coin is left from my change.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Wait staff food service must be horrid for me to go below 15%.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:18 AM

Here's another tip question--when you figure out the tip on a meal do you include tax? Or do you tip based on the pre-tax total?

Talked about this one in the office the other week. I just use the total and never worried about backing the tax out since the tax is usually pretty small.

Anyone else?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally posted by jmc1971
Here's another tip question--when you figure out the tip on a meal do you include tax? Or do you tip based on the pre-tax total?

Talked about this one in the office the other week. I just use the total and never worried about backing the tax out since the tax is usually pretty small.

Anyone else?
I'm with you. The folks that "back-out" are trying to keep it right at 15%.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I usually do 15-20% but I don't try figuring it down to the cents.I just round it to the nearest dollar, or if paying in cash will have them keep the change.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:15 PM

Is $3-$4 for delivery common?

So nobody tips for food pickup?

How about haircut?
If the owner does it? spouse? employee?
Old 10-22-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally posted by NNY S2k
I usually do 15-20% but I don't try figuring it down to the cents.I just round it to the nearest dollar, or if paying in cash will have them keep the change.

Haircut in the same range.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zippy
Old 10-22-2003, 05:58 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I'm one of those old fashioned people who still believes that the tip should be relative to the quality of food and service. In a restaurant where the service has been good and the food has been good, I usually tip at about 20%. If its been extraordinary, 25%. If fair to poor generally 15% to 10%. Understand that everything is relative. In a diner I expect to get diner food whereas in a fine restaurant I expect fine food. Extrordinary diner food and service gets classified as extraordinary. One of my rules of thumb for extraordinary is if my whole family is smiling when we leave.

The one tip that I resent giving is to the parking lot attendents in New York City parking lots. We lived in the city for a very long time, and are not far from it now. We go into the city often. The price of parking in the city is very high and the service is terrible. Many of the parking lots now have signs that read, "Not responsible for dents and dings." A days parking (or an event evening) can be anywhere from $20 to $35. Typically, when the parking jockey gets the car I give him $2 to $3. I know that this is 10% at best, but I always feel like I being robbed and don't like the service or the abuse.

We almost always take the 4Runner as it is over 5 years old and is built like a tank. I would put my S into a NYC lot. The dings would be bigger than the entire car. Not to mention the damage to the clutch.

Quick Reply: How much do you tip in restaurants?