S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   "I can do it myself" (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/i-can-do-myself-388457/)

Lainey 05-16-2006 05:39 PM

"I can do it myself"

As our children grow up, they learn do to things for themselves. Feeding themselves, dressing themselves, eventually (we hope) taking care of themselves and making their own lives. Many of those moments make us proud of their accomplishments, other moments make us (or at least me) wonder where the time went.

My granddaughter is almost five. I now frequently hear "I can do it myself, Grandma." Since I have NO idea how she is already going to be five years old, the "I can do it myself" gets me in the :heart: From wiping her little nose, to dressing her, to putting band aids on imaginary "boo boos" I've done these things for her since she was born.

Sometimes I think it's harder hearing the grandchild say " I can do it myself" than it was with my own.

Time is flying by faster each day. :(

tidalwdave 05-16-2006 06:40 PM

At least you've been a parent and grand parent.

I've adopted the lifestyle of no kids. At times I kind of wish I knew what it was like to have children under foot.

Most of the time I don't though. :p

Be happy for the times you get to have. Others of us will never get to experience what you get to.

Traveler 05-16-2006 11:12 PM

I don't have any kids of my own, but I've taken care of friends' kids. Without the level of emotional attachment that you have, the "I can do it myself" moments don't have the same "time is moving on" seriousness.

Instead it's either a really good thing (they can finally wipe their own behinds :dance2: ), or a really bad thing (tantrums if you don't let them spill a gallon of milk in the general direction of their cereal).

valentine 05-17-2006 01:54 AM

:( I'll be glad when my kids say that. ;)

Grannyrod 05-17-2006 03:37 AM

[QUOTE=valentine,May 17 2006, 03:54 AM] :( I'll be glad when my kids say that.

tidalwdave 05-17-2006 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,May 17 2006, 06:37 AM
Hey Tidalwave, I know where you can borrow some. :LOL:

No thanks. I like kids from afar. My wife and two dogs keep me busy enough. :D

Lainey 05-17-2006 04:12 AM

[QUOTE=tidalwdave,May 16 2006, 10:40 PM] At least you've been a parent and grand parent.

I've adopted the lifestyle of no kids.

Triple-H 05-17-2006 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by tidalwdave,May 16 2006, 09:40 PM
At least you've been a parent and grand parent.

I've adopted the lifestyle of no kids. At times I kind of wish I knew what it was like to have children under foot.

Most of the time I don't though. :p

Be happy for the times you get to have. Others of us will never get to experience what you get to.

Me too!
:D

I'm glad to have had the role of Uncle for 5 of my sister's kids, but that was plenty for me. Some things work out in life and some do not, for me being a Dad is just not in the cards...

JonasM 05-17-2006 05:43 AM

With Anika, it almost always makes my proud of her. One of her first words was "pati!" which means "myself!". She wouldn't let us help with anything - either we do it for her completely, or she did it herself (or tried). So, we're used to her trying it herself.

I don't think I've reached the stage where I wonder where the time has gone, even though these first years are so full of change. I think back, and I am well aware where the time has gone, since the days are so stuffed full of experiences.

JonasM

DiamondDave2005 05-17-2006 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JonasM,May 17 2006, 08:43 AM
I don't think I've reached the stage where I wonder where the time has gone, even though these first years are so full of change. I think back, and I am well aware where the time has gone, since the days are so stuffed full of experiences.

I have to agree with Jonas. We just spent 90 minutes going thru the first 16 months worth of Ciara photographs (we're at around the 1600 mark), and we find it hard to believe that so much has happened in 16 months.

It was certainly a lot more involving than watching the cat grow up :)