S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I might retire early

Old 07-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I might retire early

I've been looking over my finances and taking stock of my life. I just don't think I will go to 65. I'm not saying I will retire now, but probably in five or six years. I'd sell the big house, maybe get a three bedroom house to reduce living expenses and use the Cape house more. The new smaller house would have to have enough land so I could build a big out-building for storing and working on cars and other stuff over the winter. I'd spend the summers fishing and not worry about work any more...unless I go in a different direction.

How about you? When do you plan to cash out and kick back? And what will retirement look like for you?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Retirement, whats that

Hopefully ASAP!

and im only 45
Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it almost 14 years ago, and it looks/feels like every day is a Saturday. I never looked back. I just wish I had time to all the things I wanted to do.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Early retirement is sounding SO good to me right now! Actually, it's not so early, since I'm already 62. I talked with Glenn (Jet sitter) at SF09 in Cape May NJ, and he shared a wealth of info with me over the past several months which helps support early retirement. Thanks, Glenn!

I've been working 46 years, and have completely run out of gas...bonked...hit the wall. Now I'm getting to where it's a real struggle to muster up the energy to come to work. Even though we're very busy with structural engineering work, I'm developing a negative attitude. I should probably retire before I get fired. I have one financial obligation that needs to be paid off, then I'm outta here! However, if my 401k keeps increasing like it did last quarter, it might be sooner than later.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

I retired at 62 3/4, and like John, have never looked back. Almost 38 years with the same company, and I was like Spokes Man, totally burned out. Thankfully, the stars aligned in my favor, and my company was acquired by a much larger company, and my previously worthless stock options suddenly became my key to the door!

I had formed some great friendships at work, and that's the only thing I miss. I still have lunch occasionally with my some of my previous co-workers, and catch up on the gossip. (This occasion also reinforces my decision to retire!)
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokes Man,Jul 30 2009, 02:28 PM
Early retirement is sounding SO good to me right now! Actually, it's not so early, since I'm already 62. I talked with Glenn (Jet sitter) at SF09 in Cape May NJ, and he shared a wealth of info with me over the past several months which helps support early retirement. Thanks, Glenn!

I've been working 46 years, and have completely run out of gas...bonked...hit the wall. Now I'm getting to where it's a real struggle to muster up the energy to come to work. Even though we're very busy with structural engineering work, I'm developing a negative attitude. I should probably retire before I get fired. I have one financial obligation that needs to be paid off, then I'm outta here! However, if my 401k keeps increasing like it did last quarter, it might be sooner than later.
Good to hear that you are getting close Jerry.

I retired last year at 61 and it was the best move that I ever made. Like John said everyday is Saturday. It's best to enjoy the years that you have left, that is what you having been saving for all of your life. I highly recommend it Bill!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM

I am looking at purchasing service time (3 years military and 5 years state service) and getting. Too many incompetent supervisors. The repurchase would give me approximately 26 years service credit so the pension would be manageable. All I would need is a part time job to pay for golf. The times I have taken a month long vacation have taught me I won't miss working.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to retire in a month or two. I was thinking it would take a lot longer than that, but I had the most amazing stroke of luck. An African widow is trying to move her family assets out of Nigeria, and in exchange for my help she's going to give me 10%, which is several million dollars! Retirement, here I come!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Funny - she said the same thing to me!

Actually, I have the age and years to retire now, but I'm not quite ready to. I still enjoy what I'm doing (computer security) and I have a good working environment, which make a big difference. I'm essentially autonomous. I may work another ten years. More likely, it will be another eight - I'll have 40 years of service. I also want to finish the major work on the condo while I still have my higher income. The last big project is coming up in January (the master bath). The +1 has to work quite a bit longer, since he's still in his prime. So as long as he is, I may as well, too. No plans to move anywhere else. We love it here.

Quick Reply: I might retire early