S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm Fat; 2017

Old 10-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Wow...that is fantastic! I could be exercising more. I do walk a lot, pretty much everywhere, but need to go to the gym for my cycling/rowing more often. Now that the first phase of the pipe replacement project is over, I can get back in that routine.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Since Feb 1, 2017, goblueS2K and I have both lost about 25 pounds.
Oh my, you two were both thin to begin with! Don't disappear on us.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm at a plateau and hope to get the scale moving in the right direction this week. I'm actually happy I have stayed the same weight for the last four days as I was not particularly good.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I think this is the first time I've ever posted in any of the "I'm Fat" threads.

Since Feb 1, 2017, goblueS2K and I have both lost about 25 pounds. Like MsPerky, our goal was not to lose weight, but to keep our A1C values down. (I have a family history of type 2 diabetes. My father was diagnosed at about age 65, and my older sister was diagnosed at just under age 60, about 8 months before she passed away from liver failure in 2004.)

I don't think that you would have called either one of us very "fat," but we both could have stood to lose some pounds.

We went to a series of diabetes education classes, 4 two hour classes during the entire month of February, once a week. So, since February 1, we have been watching our carbohydrates very carefully, both how many grams we eat at a time, and how often we eat them.

I had already been exercising (line dancing, Zumba, and strength classes) five days a week, and I did not add any additional exercise.

Much to both of our surprise, we both have lost about 25 pounds, and really quite easily, the only change in our lifestyle being watching the carbohydrates.

I feel pretty confident that we will both keep the weight off because we know that it must be a permanent lifestyle change, and it is very important for our health.
I agree with, Dave. You two were not exactly fat to begin with. Congrats on the weight loss and healthier eating, but enjoy some carbs now and again too!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 910 Likes on 538 Posts

Thanks, MsPerky, Dave, and Lainey.

No worries, goblue and I won't be disappearing any time soon.

We both do have relatively small frames, but over the years (say since our 20's), there have been some extra pounds added.

Our diets were fairly healthy before, but there was still room for some improvement.

And, don't worry...we are still enjoying carbohydrates, too. We know that we shouldn't go too low carb, because carbs are needed for energy.

For example, we do like ice cream, and have it every now and then, but I now pay attention to how much is an actual serving and how many carbs are in that serving, rather than pigging out on however much I want.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:02 AM

Update...my dietary (and some exercise) changes have paid off big time. My A1C (diabetes indicator) was 6.0 last year. It needed to be below 5.7 to be normal. Last check in April it was 5.8, so better. From my physical the other day - 5.5! I'm very happy. I'm not completely depriving myself of pasta, chocolate, etc, but it seems the avoidance of the breads/pastries/etc has made a big difference. My LDL was a bit high, but will work on more exercise and less fats for that one. I'm still maintaining my weight loss of about 15 pounds.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:20 PM

Actually compared my total cholesterol, LDL and non-HDL numbers to those of my last check in April. All are still a bit high, but came down quite a bit. So overall, I'm very happy with these results. Nice to see the benefits of changing habits.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:06 AM

Received 910 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Actually compared my total cholesterol, LDL and non-HDL numbers to those of my last check in April. All are still a bit high, but came down quite a bit. So overall, I'm very happy with these results. Nice to see the benefits of changing habits.
Good for you!

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-27-2017, 04:10 AM

OK...I managed to gain a couple of pounds from eating all the bad stuff over the holidays. So, today I'm making bison chili to get back into the healthy groove. I also use bison for meatloaf and anything that calls for ground beef. It's much more lean.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
OK...I managed to gain a couple of pounds from eating all the bad stuff over the holidays. So, today I'm making bison chili to get back into the healthy groove. I also use bison for meatloaf and anything that calls for ground beef. It's much more lean.
You are not alone! Ham, cake, ice cream, cookies, meat pie...the scale is not my friend. I ate better yesterday and will do so again today. I was back at the Y yesterday and heading there today, tomorrow and Saturday. Hope to kick off the holiday couple of pounds quickly.

Quick Reply: I'm Fat; 2017