S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm Fat; 2017

Old 01-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Okay, I'm in this year. Actually, I started on Christmas Eve, 12-24-2016. I've gone to Weight Watchers many times in the past 28 years and made it to a Lifetime Member. I just can't go there anymore. I've tired. I hate going.

This time I've come up with my own plan. I made this chart to keep track of my intake and workouts on a daily basis. I like to touch my data. I don't go for having to interface my data with a cell phone or computer. Already, I see the results of drinking on New Year's Eve and then not drinking but getting in a 20 mile ride.

We each have to learn what works for us. I know my biggest issues with putting on weight is booze in the evening followed by munchies up to bedtime. That's a great way to add weight.

I know the solution to my success at losing weight is to not drink alcohol and to stop eating hours before bedtime. I ride my ElliptiGO and that's an excellent cardio and weight bearing exercise. I also have gotten back into using my weight machine in the garage. The key for me is to keep at it even when I go up for a day or two for going off track. It will happen but it doesn't mean it's over.

MyFitnessPal is a good alternative to paper tracking. You can log food (search for common items with complete nutritional information), exercise, and track progress for the week/month/year through the website and the available app for your phone. That way you can log the information at the time and not worry about carrying the paper around or worry about forgetting to add something later. You can also scan the UPC with the phone app for off the shelf items for faster logging.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I lost 100Lbs last year. Getting in the right frame of mind is everything. This after a life time of being way way overweight. I found an excellent eating plan, doctor supervised, weekly coaching sessions. I was desperate and actually considering surgery. I got down to nearly my ideal weight for the first time in over 50 years. After I reached my goal, like most people, I struggled to get into a good maintenance regimen. I gained some back. I am back on the weight loss regimen now and going in the right direction. I think I am developing an addiction to being slender and I feel terrible - physically and emotionally, when I am overweight. I think/hope that my addiction to being slender will overcome my addiction to food. The knowledge that I can drop weight at a steady clip on my plan is empowering. I did it, I know I can do it. No doubt in my mind

The key is to be in the right frame of mind. For me that means that I must get to the place that I consider that there is nothing more important in my life than controlling my weight. Everything else takes a back seat to controlling my weight. The truth is that all the other things in life tend to fall into place when you keep weight control as #1.

I disagree with the statement that 1000 calories is too low. That is too general a statement. Every one is different. No one program is good for everyone. It does depend on your activity level in part that is true and yes, given the report of 2 hours a cardio a day 1000 probably isn't sustainable. If you are eating the right foods and taking necessary nutritional supplements many people (me for example) who are not heavy exercisers, can eat 1000 calories and you can put yourself into ketosis and you will have very little hunger, you will be full of energy and very healthy, and the fat will melt away every week, week after week. It is incredible. Also, it is totally sustainable in the weight loss phase. Not in the maintenance phase, I would agree you are going to need more than 1000 once you have lost the weight. The doctor supervised part of my plan is key and it gives me faith that the plan is safe and healthy. It works very well for me. Many many health problems I was experiencing have totally disappeared. I am way way more healthy now than I was a year ago. Its night and day. I went from a 46 waist to a 34 waist. For me the key was to stay away from exercising except for walking. I could not make huge changes in both my eating AND my exercising all at the same time. What worked for me was to take a walk every day and that is it as far as exercise. This approach helped me stick to my plan because I only made one change - food intake.

The easy part is losing the weight. The far more difficult problem is transitioning to a good maintenance plan after you have lost the weight. I am working on that now and it is definitely harder than losing the weight which I actually found to be fairly easy.

You can do it. Hang in there.

One last piece of advice - when you start dropping weight and you move out of your clothes into smaller sizes, GET RID OF THE FAT CLOTHES, ALL OF THEM, IMMEDIATELY. Having no fat clothes to use helps you with maintenance. Its like a governor on a motor. Clothes start feeling tight? Its a huge daily reminder to control your intake.

All good points and very similar to my own approach. Welcome to the thread.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
192 last night. I was actually surprised because I've been at 185 for several months but December was a great eating and drinking month. Oh well, a year ago I weighed 197 to start the year. I am really not a big eater. I just need to exercise which gets tougher to do every year. The dog use to push me to at least walk but now she can hardly get around. We are both showing some aging however I'm in better shape than she is but she's 84 (12 x 7). In any case my diet starts today.

Good man Dave. Maybe the dog needs a diet too?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Okay, I'm in this year. Actually, I started on Christmas Eve, 12-24-2016. I've gone to Weight Watchers many times in the past 28 years and made it to a Lifetime Member. I just can't go there anymore. I've tired. I hate going.

This time I've come up with my own plan. I made this chart to keep track of my intake and workouts on a daily basis. I like to touch my data. I don't go for having to interface my data with a cell phone or computer. Already, I see the results of drinking on New Year's Eve and then not drinking but getting in a 20 mile ride.

We each have to learn what works for us. I know my biggest issues with putting on weight is booze in the evening followed by munchies up to bedtime. That's a great way to add weight.

I know the solution to my success at losing weight is to not drink alcohol and to stop eating hours before bedtime. I ride my ElliptiGO and that's an excellent cardio and weight bearing exercise. I also have gotten back into using my weight machine in the garage. The key for me is to keep at it even when I go up for a day or two for going off track. It will happen but it doesn't mean it's over.

I like it! Welcome back Patty!
Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,373 Posts

myfitnesspal ap is a keeper. it also integrates into the garmin connect fitness tracker ap.
so you can log calories intake one and share the data with the other measuring caloric output.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
MyFitnessPal is a good alternative to paper tracking. You can log food (search for common items with complete nutritional information), exercise, and track progress for the week/month/year through the website and the available app for your phone. That way you can log the information at the time and not worry about carrying the paper around or worry about forgetting to add something later. You can also scan the UPC with the phone app for off the shelf items for faster logging.
Thanks, but I don't want to go away from paper tracking. As I said, " I like to touch my data. I don't go for having to interface my data with a cell phone or computer." Am I the only one who prefers the words on paper that I've actually written myself? My first go round with Weight Watchers was after having my second baby. I've done the Weight Watchers program around 6 times since then, in early 1989. I am glad to have all the records I kept of each go round. I have the calendars I've kept notes on since I was a teenager. They don't take up much space and I love to look back on my day to day activities. For instance, I know I went to a lot of S2000 meets in 2006 and 2007. I can easily go pull those calendars out of a plastic tub and read when and where I went, in my own writing. To me, they are mini diaries. So is my weight loss data.

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I like it! Welcome back Patty!
^Thank you, Bill. I hope to stay in for the long haul this time around. I'm usually a quitter. I am down 3.5 lbs since Christmas Eve day. I should go for a total of 20 lbs.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Whatever works for you Patty

as for me, Lazy and automatic works.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I only use paper for class notes, throw away notes, or for rough drafts when writing.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I use no data, I use no gadgets. WHEN I do kick off a few pounds it's just by using the old basic method to weight loss. Eat less, make better choices of what is being consumed, and keep moving. I think the fit bits are a cool way of tracking one's exercise, as are the various apps, but I don't have a real interest in them. Having a fit bit will not give me the time needed to move 10,000 steps in a day. I carve out as much time as I can. On days off, IF other duties don't call and the weather is decent, I make an effort to move even more, i.e, going for a walk on the same day I attended a class at the Y.

Last edited by Lainey; 01-03-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
I only use paper for class notes, throw away notes, or for rough drafts when writing.
I still have notes from college Physics and watercolors classes. I do like my own written notes.

Quick Reply: I'm Fat; 2017