S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Harry, years ago yard sticks were much more accurate than today. I've lost some height with today's sticks as well.
Me, too. I guess everyone does. I was 5'5"+ and am somewhere around 5'4"- now. The thing is, BMI is based on height. Just makes me hate that stupid rating even more. There are many builds that can go with one height.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Between age and knee replacements my Dad figures he is at least two inches shorter than he used to be. I believe it. I'm taller than him now. Wasn't in my 20s and 30s.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Between age and knee replacements my Dad figures he is at least two inches shorter than he used to be. I believe it. I'm taller than him now. Wasn't in my 20s and 30s.
My height was lost with degenerating discs. They add up.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
My height was lost with degenerating discs. They add up.
That comment made me wonder if having my neck fused at C5/C6/C7 when I was 53 made any contribution to my 2" loss of height. I'll need to look into that a bit further.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
That comment made me wonder if having my neck fused at C5/C6/C7 when I was 53 made any contribution to my 2" loss of height. I'll need to look into that a bit further.
Could be but my guess is that your lumbar discs shrunk in height and lead to decreased height more. I have x-rays and MRI results of my lower back (lumbar) and neck (cervical) discs. The low back discs take a lot of the strain keeping humans vertical and get thinner the most, *I think*.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone that wants to legitimately lose weight based on diet alone should look into the carnivore diet - eating only meat and a lot of fat. Jordan Peterson brought this to my attention after he lost a lot of weight quickly, 70 lbs in 6 months if I recall correctly. You drop a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks, so it's really easy to see the benefits and after the initial transition is easy to maintain.

PM me if you want further info.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ragtophardtop
Anyone that wants to legitimately lose weight based on diet alone should look into the carnivore diet - eating only meat and a lot of fat. Jordan Peterson brought this to my attention after he lost a lot of weight quickly, 70 lbs in 6 months if I recall correctly. You drop a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks, so it's really easy to see the benefits and after the initial transition is easy to maintain.

PM me if you want further info.
And my question is did Jordan keep it off. If so, how long? How about you, ragtophardtop? Age has a lot to do with weight loss results. I'm just about 61 years-old. I lost weight much more easily in my teens and early thirties than I can now. It's a fact of life and aging. When I was 31 I thought Weight Watchers was the answer because I lost 37 pounds, after having two babies in 1-1/2 years. Right now I think intermittent fasting is the answer. It is not one-size-fits-all for human beings. There are a lot of different ways to lose weight and it is personal. That is the truth and my opinion.

Last edited by Kyras; 01-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:05 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
I'm now 5'5". For some reason I've lost a lot of height for a little guy. I was 5'7" when I joined the Marine Corps at age 19. I spent most of my adult life between 130 and 133 up until I was about 65-66.
OK...that sounds right, then. I'm going up to Whole Foods today to get some farro. Then walk back for exercise. It's about 1.5 miles.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:16 AM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Me, too. I guess everyone does. I was 5'5"+ and am somewhere around 5'4"- now. The thing is, BMI is based on height. Just makes me hate that stupid rating even more. There are many builds that can go with one height.
I have no height to spare!!! At one point I was measured to be 4'11" which mean a loss of 1". We get shorter and more plump as we age...gravity takes over, muscle mass lessens, is a biatch!

Scale was the same today as yesterday but I pushed the envelope with a bowl of popcorn WITH butter last night. Will have to watch myself this weekend.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

And my question is did Jordan keep it off. If so, how long? How about you, ragtophardtop? Age has a lot to do with weight loss results. I'm just about 61 years-old. I lost weight much more easily in my teens and early thirties than I can now. It's a fact of life and aging. When I was 31 I thought Weight Watchers was the answer because I lost 37 pounds, after having two babies in 1-1/2 years. Right now I think intermittent fasting is the answer. It is not one-size-fits-all for human beings. There are a lot of different ways to lose weight and it is personal. That is the truth and my opinion.
Good points. When we were young, remember, our metabolisms were much higher and losing weight was easy. I was very active playing sports and we didn't have all of the electronic distractions young folks have today so I got up off the couch and kept very active. I played sports in the Navy and continued that life style through even today. As I got older I ran but after a while it was starting to have an effect on my legs and feet. So I got serious about cycling and I am still actively cycling today. As a result of this my weight has never been an issue. I weighed about 145 when I joined the Navy in 64 and now weigh 178 33# gained in 54 years is not too bad. I try to watch my diet but I don't fast, go on binge diets or do weight watchers, etc. When I see the weight going up I ramp up the cycling intensity and do more interval training. My detailing business helps too as it is not easy work and I enjoy doing it. I see my friends who do nothing to maintain a healthy life style, suffer from diabetes, heart issues, and some have passed away. It's not easy but when I look at the alternative I get motivated. My wife has the same philosophy and she is very healthy. You are right in saying one size does not fit all and some folks can't maintain an active life style for several reasons. You don't have to be a fitness nut, just get off the couch and walk and watch your diet. The added benefit is that you help your mental state, breathe in some fresh air and smell the flowers.

Quick Reply: I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!