S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!

Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 912 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
So since you started you have not changed anything? On the same diet you lost weight and then when you reach some weight you stop using, even though you didn't increase your food intake?
I didn't say that since I started, I did not change anything.

I did change my diet in terms of carbohydrates. However, I am not "on a diet."

Since I started, I have carefully been watching how many carbohydrates I eat per meal, and when I eat those carbohydrates.

I have never stopped watching the carbohydrates. I am still carefully watching the carbohydrates. I plan to do this as a permanent lifestyle change. I am not going to stop watching the carbohydrates just because I am at a certain weight.

However, what I am doing is sustainable for me. I am not doing anything drastic, such as lowering my caloric intake to an extremely low level, or increasing my exercise to an extremely high level. Those techniques would not work for me since my goal is to keep my A1C at a lower level, not just to reach a "goal" weight.

Apparently, by being very aware of the carbohydrates, I was probably not eating as many bad carbohydrates, and I was probably also decreasing the number of calories I was eating per day, thus I lost weight.

I am pretty stable now at how much I weigh, staying within a range of just a few pounds. I am no longer losing weight, and I am also not gaining weight back either.

So, I guess now I am eating just the right amount of calories to maintain this lower weight. I have reached an equilibrium.

(We started all of this when we went to a series of 4 diabetes education classes, two hours per class.)

(I did not add any additional exercise. When we started all of this, I was already taking 7 exercise classes per week, and I am still taking the same number of exercise classes.)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I didn't say that since I started, I did not change anything.

I did change my diet in terms of carbohydrates. However, I am not "on a diet."

Since I started, I have carefully been watching how many carbohydrates I eat per meal, and when I eat those carbohydrates.

I have never stopped watching the carbohydrates. I am still carefully watching the carbohydrates. I plan to do this as a permanent lifestyle change. I am not going to stop watching the carbohydrates just because I am at a certain weight.

However, what I am doing is sustainable for me. I am not doing anything drastic, such as lowering my caloric intake to an extremely low level, or increasing my exercise to an extremely high level. Those techniques would not work for me since my goal is to keep my A1C at a lower level, not just to reach a "goal" weight.

Apparently, by being very aware of the carbohydrates, I was probably not eating as many bad carbohydrates, and I was probably also decreasing the number of calories I was eating per day, thus I lost weight.

I am pretty stable now at how much I weigh, staying within a range of just a few pounds. I am no longer losing weight, and I am also not gaining weight back either.

So, I guess now I am eating just the right amount of calories to maintain this lower weight. I have reached an equilibrium.

(We started all of this when we went to a series of 4 diabetes education classes, two hours per class.)

(I did not add any additional exercise. When we started all of this, I was already taking 7 exercise classes per week, and I am still taking the same number of exercise classes.)
I didn't know you could lose weight and then stop losing weight without changing anything. I guess there is some point at which the calorie intake is enough to maintain a certain mass.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 912 Likes on 539 Posts

I didn't know you could lose weight and then stop losing weight without changing anything. I guess there is some point at which the calorie intake is enough to maintain a certain mass.
I don't think I understand what you mean.

Are you being sarcastic?
Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 PM

Are you being sarcastic?
No. I think this is simple. And let's keep in mind that you were the one who started the discussion of weight loss programs not being sustainable. Please reread your own post, #478.

My point is; of course they are not sustainable. At some point you must start eating more in order to stop losing weight. If I'm still not clear, if you are losing weight eating X volume of a certain food, at some point don't you have to eat X&Y of that same food to stop losing weight and maintain your weight.

Previously you said:
"That is probably true that "weight loss programs" are not sustainable.

However, since about Feb 1, 2017, I have lost over 35 pounds and I have kept it off.

I was not, and I am not, doing a "weight loss program." I have made a permanent lifestyle change.

My "goal" was never to achieve a certain weight. My "goal" is to keep my AIC number in check, and to do so, my "program" must be life-long.

Losing weight just happened apparently because I was watching the timing of eating carbohydrates and how many carbohydrates I ate per meal or snack, and I guess as a result, I must have also lowered my calories per day.
"

So if you are now maintaining your weight, which I take to mean not losing weight but staying the same, didn't you have to increase your caloric intake as compared to when you were losing weight. Or, did your specific daily intake allow you to lose weight when you were heavier and then, when you got lighter, that same intake was enough to sustain your new lower weight?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Broke into the 180's!

Still headed in the right direction, but it just isn't coming off as fast as it was. I'm close to crossing to the dark side of the goal line. Guess I'll have to try a little harder.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:19 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Dropped 1 # since yesterday.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:34 AM

Still 172.5.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

^I believe that you're correct. It makes sense.

Are you being sarcastic?
Let's say you were eating about 1700 calories a day. Your body needed more until it hit "X" weight and then it was exactly the right amount to keep at equilibrium. You stopped losing weight and stayed at "X".

Last edited by Kyras; 03-05-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I just made an appointment for a nurse visit to check my blood pressure. I check it at Walmart when I think of it and it was lots lower than it has been. Being that I've dropped about 15 pounds since I was put on medication for high blood pressure, I'm wondering if I need less of it. I've been feeling a little bit light headed when bend over. I guess I could break out my own home device and check it out.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Little setback over the weekend. We had a visitor from South Carolina Friday - Sunday — three full days of Shriner’s College Baseball tournament. Too many friends partying with cold beers, hotdogs, peanuts, popcorn, cracker Jacks... OMG does that set you back! Back up to 182 from 178 - but recovering!

Quick Reply: I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!