S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
A disappointing weigh in this morning. After a day of working outside on my boat, two salads, 10 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill, there was no change. So far today I have had one salad and have been running around the house working on small projects. At half time of Texans/Colts I'll have dinner and hit the 'mill after. I drank more water today. Maybe that will help.
Don't weigh in so often, it's going to get you discouraged.

Do a weekly weigh in.

And caesar salads aren't really all that healthy, just an FYI for you folks.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

^ Yeah, gotta watch the salad dressing. Forget the creamy ones and don't use too much.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

A disappointing weigh in this morning. After a day of working outside on my boat, two salads, 10 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill, there was no change. So far today I have had one salad and have been running around the house working on small projects. At half time of Texans/Colts I'll have dinner and hit the 'mill after. I drank more water today. Maybe that will help.
I managed to gain weight this week! I just rode my ElliptiGO 26 miles and got 1,954 feet of gain so I better see a drop tomorrow.

I read a better way to keep track of your weight. Pick a day and get the average for the week on that day, each week. If you have 7 days of data, average them and if you only have 4 days of data, average them. You can go up and down from one Friday to the next even though you might have a lower average over all if you consider the entire week.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Haven't stepped on the scale for a few days.....I guess I'm due. Most of the bad food is gone from the house.

Turbo Kick at the Y today, tough class. Would have liked to keep moving, out of doors, but it's been a gloomy rainy day. Didn't feel like cleaning so sat around way too much. Grabbed a burger at a local chain restaurant for dinner. Was going to have a salad with chicken but that did have more calories than the burger. However I always ask for a light dressing and don't use much when ordering salad. My burger was slightly overcooked I don't think I ate much more than 1/2 with a few fries. The popcorn before the meal doesn't count, right?

Hoped to stroll a couple nature trails tomorrow, but they will likely be way too wet.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

"All this is not to say that exercise doesn't have its place," Drayer said. "It's certainly important for building strength and muscle mass and flexibility. It can help to manage diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. It can improve your mood. It can help fight depression. But although exercise can help with weight loss, diet is a much more important lifestyle factor."As the saying goes: Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Weight loss, it's about the intake.....
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm here too but I'm really only about 10 pounds from my ideal weight. At 51, I'm 5'6" and 170ish pounds

I try to ride my bike (outside) weather permitting and even use it to commute. Last year i did almost 1900 miles, never indoors, always outside. This year I'm hoping for 2000+ miles.

Never stop trying.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by freq
I'm here too but I'm really only about 10 pounds from my ideal weight. At 51, I'm 5'6" and 170ish pounds

I try to ride my bike (outside) weather permitting and even use it to commute. Last year i did almost 1900 miles, never indoors, always outside. This year I'm hoping for 2000+ miles.

Never stop trying.
Where do you live? My exercise is riding my elliptical bike, an 11R ElliptiGO. I live in Loveland, Colorado and plan around good riding days. Today I got in 26 miles with 1,954 feet of gain. It was relatively warm in the 50s.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:36 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Today's weigh in number is 187.8, so a 1.5 pound drop.

As to salad dressings, my favorite (and lowest) is Ken's Light Northern Italian. 2 tbsp is 40 calories.

As to daily weigh-ins, it seems we discuss this every year and I don't think anyone is going to change their minds about it, but here is my take. Daily weigh-ins are pretty much a must for me. The accountability is very helpful and I find I learn quite a bit about how my body is reacting to diet and exercise. While the conventional advice was to weighing once a week, recent advice and studies are coming around to my way of thinking on this issue:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...aily/77584478/

https://jandonline.org/article/S2212...873-5/abstract

Yes you can still find recent articles advising against the daily weigh-in. My advice is to do what actually works for you.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 AM

Today's weigh in number is 187.8, so a 1.5 pound drop.

As to salad dressings, my favorite (and lowest) is Ken's Light Northern Italian. 2 tbsp is 40 calories.

As to daily weigh-ins, it seems we discuss this every year and I don't think anyone is going to change their minds about it, but here is my take. Daily weigh-ins are pretty much a must for me. The accountability is very helpful and I find I learn quite a bit about how my body is reacting to diet and exercise. While the conventional advice was to weighing once a week, recent advice and studies are coming around to my way of thinking on this issue:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...aily/77584478/

https://jandonline.org/article/S2212...873-5/abstract

Yes you can still find recent articles advising against the daily weigh-in. My advice is to do what actually works for you.
Bill, I'm all for daily weighing but I am going to be doing a weekly average, too. The daily weighing has told me to skip the adult beverages.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
"All this is not to say that exercise doesn't have its place," Drayer said. "It's certainly important for building strength and muscle mass and flexibility. It can help to manage diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. It can improve your mood. It can help fight depression. But although exercise can help with weight loss, diet is a much more important lifestyle factor."As the saying goes: Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Weight loss, it's about the intake.....
Bingo Lainey. This is absolutely correct and trumps most weight loss plans I know of. Calories in, calories out has been my plan along with balanced exercise. Plus all of the other benefits you mention. I got my A1C down from 7.0 to 5.3, Lost weight and my cholesterol numbers are both under 100. I also keep my blood pressure numbers in a good range. It takes discipline and i admit I like those Happy Hours at the beach with all of that healthy food. But, in moderation.

Quick Reply: I'm Fat, 2019. Please join me!