S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Induction cook tops

Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 918 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
that was in process. we mounted on the counter, you can route it down so it sets flush with the counter.
I haven't installed the fan ducts yet, we'll do that when we swap out the counters.
Jerry, thanks for the picture.

However...I still don't understand what kind of exhaust system you will have. Is it downdraft? Is it a pop-up?

Please remember...I am not an engineer...so keep your explanation simple for me.

Or, better yet...a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Our cooktop is on an extended counter, and behind it we installed a pop up exhaust system. It is as long as the cooktop is, (36 inches) and is 2 1/8 inches wide and says "Eclipse" on it but the manufacturer was something else. It literally touches the back of the cooktop, all the way across, and is stainless steel. It vents down below the cabinets and under the house, then is vented out the back somewhere under our deck. We did NOT want a big hood over the cooktop. It does a decent job, but won't suck up all the smells like a big hood might do.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,373 Posts

This not mine but it's the same style.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
Our cooktop is on an extended counter, and behind it we installed a pop up exhaust system. It is as long as the cooktop is, (36 inches) and is 2 1/8 inches wide and says "Eclipse" on it but the manufacturer was something else. It literally touches the back of the cooktop, all the way across, and is stainless steel. It vents down below the cabinets and under the house, then is vented out the back somewhere under our deck. We did NOT want a big hood over the cooktop. It does a decent job, but won't suck up all the smells like a big hood might do.
Thanks, Dean.

I didn't think I would like the looks of a big hood either, especially since we are knocking down the wall between the kitchen and our current dining room.

It would seem to defeat the purpose of an open floor plan to then have a big hood in that space. IMHO, then it might not even be worth it to knock down that wall, just to have a big hood there.

Is your pop-up hood the Broan Eclipse?

Do you use it several times a day? Do you think that will be a weak point, in that the motor will eventually break?
Old 09-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
This not mine but it's the same style.
Thanks, Jerry.

The video is worth a thousand words!

I (we?) had pretty much decided that we were just going to go with a regular electric cook top with a decorative (?) hood.

However, then I went to a showroom with our kitchen designer and saw the downdraft type of venting system such as in the video, and I thought that seemed really nice, compared to a hood.

Okay...Jerry...now you can put your engineer hat back on...but please, still keep it simple...

Do you think that you would be using the downdraft vent several times a day, or just once a day?

Every morning, I cook steel cut oats for my breakfast, and then we would also be using the cook top for our dinner meal most days, too.

I worry that the motor might eventually break and not work any more with such use.

What do you think?

Do you think that kind of system works as well as a hood?

I really do value your opinion since you are an engineer.

A little humorous note...when I was at the showroom, the guy showing us around, told us of a couple who had been in their home for 6 years, and it had that kind of venting system in the house when they bought it, and they said that they thought it was so ugly! In the 6 years that they had been there, they didn't realize that it could be put down.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Any thoughts on using a wok on an induction cook top and with the downdraft venting system?

Hubby uses a wok quite often.

(Am I overthinking this or what???)
Old 09-08-2018, 03:30 PM

OK tap tap tap Is this mic on... engineer speaking.
If I could I would have an overhead hood. There are some pretty slick hoods out there. some are amazing.
But we have a big window behind the cooktop and no way to run the ducting properly.

Since smoke and other hot gases tend to rise up to the hood by themselves.
It is a more natural selection. I would also have a fan in the vent which could suck up small children when on full. ( Long live Tim the tool man.)
There are a lot of things that you won't need the vent for. We didn't use the downdraft on the Jenn-air all that often.
The pop up won't be as reliable but I didn't let that stop me either.
If push comes to shove and it breaks I'll pull it out and fix it.

There are also captive vents. They filter the air and return it to the room.
You might use a lot of filters though.

On another not regarding the Steel cut oats.
I strongly recommend a zojirushi rice cooker.
It makes great rice but also you can set it on porridge and they come out perfect.
You can set the timer and load it the night before and wake up to perfect oats.
The upper units carefully maintain the temp just to keep warm without turning it into goop.
throw in some apples and cinnamon and morning is special when you walk into the kitchen.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:33 PM

I love the wok. it worked great with the older induction inserts we had for the jenn-air.
I don't recall if I've used it with this top yet.
We have a flat bottom wok so it works well with it.
rounds bottom woks wouldn't work as well because they aren't in the electro-magnetic field as much.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

We have a Thermador gas cooktop with a “pop-up” downdraft exhaust vent. Like Jerry, ours is ducted through the basement to the outside. After 18 years of flawless service, one day about 4 months ago it came alive on its own, raised up about halfway, emitted a burning smell, and popped the circuit breaker, and stopped. Turns out it was the on/off push button switch that shorted out. Replacing that solved the problem! We use ours when we cook bacon, burgers, etc., and it does a great job of exhausting both odors and smoke. I think you will be happy if you get a similar one.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
We have a Thermador gas cooktop with a “pop-up” downdraft exhaust vent. Like Jerry, ours is ducted through the basement to the outside. After 18 years of flawless service, one day about 4 months ago it came alive on its own, raised up about halfway, emitted a burning smell, and popped the circuit breaker, and stopped. Turns out it was the on/off push button switch that shorted out. Replacing that solved the problem! We use ours when we cook bacon, burgers, etc., and it does a great job of exhausting both odors and smoke. I think you will be happy if you get a similar one.
I worked on one of those, though it was about 30 years old, for my boss. What a pain in the arse! Someone had rewired it to come on anytime any one of the burners came on (electric stove). When they switched to gas someone tried to make it work as originally designed but must not have had the wiring diagram. What a cluster. I downloaded the diagram off the internet and got it to work again. Never again!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Induction cook tops