S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The internet of things.....

Old 12-14-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
We have the Nest Thermometer and camera, a WEMO humidifier, two Rokus, 2 Apple TV's and that's it.
I have to ask – why do you have a remotely controlled humidifier? And how does it work?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM

What the internet does to a simple coffee cup with two mittens.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I have to ask – why do you have a remotely controlled humidifier? And how does it work?
I can change the percentage of humidity, check on the filter and water level remotely. It also notifies me when it's running low on water (not that would do much good if I were in SE Asia when it notified me, but....). The main function is to let you know when it needs something. Think of it as a small child with a limited vocabulary and mobility.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM

^ My humidifier is on the furnace with a connected water line and I only change the filter annually. So the only thing to adjust is the % of humidity setting. While I do change it a couple times throughout the winter, I could just as easily leave it at one setting the entire winter. . . . same as I do with my furnace, even though I have a thermostat with dozens of options. I'm retired and here every day so there's no need to have it going up and down.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I've been considering a Nest thermostat but my current setback thermostat works perfectly well. When it burns out it'll be replaced with a Nest.

We do have an ADT home alarm and we can control it via our smart phones. I love it. We can check the alarm when we're away, and turn it on or shut it off remotely as needed.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

There was a news story about a camera on the front door, and a guy saw a woman looking around his porch for a hidden key. He asked what she was doing and she took off. He was at work, talking to her through his phone, but for all she knew he was just inside the door. That could be darn handy, esp if you have a lot of packages delivered. Package theft is a real problem in the Bay area.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:03 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

My garage door opener could be an Internet thing but I refuse to give it an IP address or enable its Wi-Fi function. I've heard that there have been cases of hacking into openers that are on line with predictable results so I will stick with the remotes for now.

Now excuse me while I go find my aluminum foil hat.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
There was a news story about a camera on the front door, and a guy saw a woman looking around his porch for a hidden key. He asked what she was doing and she took off. He was at work, talking to her through his phone, but for all she knew he was just inside the door. That could be darn handy, esp if you have a lot of packages delivered. Package theft is a real problem in the Bay area.
A common activity for package thieves is to leave a package on the door step filled with dog poop.
I heard a recent story of it but was rather surprised when i googled it at how many separate versions complete with video, of the story were out there.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

It seems that having things on the internet can have unforeseen downsides.
https://arstechnica.com/information-...er-bad-review/

what happens when that things company doesn't like you anymore or their thing?

of course since the guy's primary source of revenue was most likely amazon he just committed economic hari-kari.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
It seems that having things on the internet can have unforeseen downsides.
https://arstechnica.com/information-...er-bad-review/

what happens when that things company doesn't like you anymore or their thing?

of course since the guy's primary source of revenue was most likely amazon he just committed economic hari-kari.
Wow, what a dipsh......I do have a Ring at our home, which is quite handy, and I have a Honeywell connected thermostat at the beach. I can monitor my heat and AC remotely, I can also reset the temperature before arriving.

Quick Reply: The internet of things.....