S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Investments

Old 11-07-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
Here's another question for this thread. I'm thinking of changing investment advisors. How did you choose yours?
I personally don't have one. I don't buy tapes, books or subscribe to newsletters either. That's where the money is. I don't have a fitness trainer either. For working out, I go unload a truck and get paid for it. Or do my own yard work and save the money I would have paid a gardener. For investments, I diversify in no load and small fee mutual funds. I've read too many articles where their guess is as good as mine or a dart throwing monkey unless it's individual stocks. On that matter I follow Bob Brinker's advice. Bobbrinker.com. No one stock that makes up more than 4% of my portfolio. To do otherwise is a sin. His credo is no load large, mid and small caps in no load low fee funds. He timed the market's recent 20% gain to the week. He also timed the blow out we had when the dow was at 11,700 to the month it began it's downward spiral. That got my attention. When he said to get back in 100% in equities, I listened. So far, so good. My Dad gets Bob's newsletter and I use his password to get in to the "Bulletin" site where he instructs his subscribers how and when to act. He's on the radio most weekends also. Doesn't cost me a dime!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I've always taken a Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde approach to investing. On the one hand, I enjoy reasonable risk and have an entrepreneurial approach. On the other hand, I am conservative and that part of my portfolio looks like a "grandmothers and widows" portfolio. Remarkably, the combination works.

For the last 8 or 10 years I have been a speculator. I buy stocks in growth companies and sell when I see a profit. I very rarely buy for the long term. I only buy quality companies, companies that I believe will outlive me. Typically, I buy stocks in companies like Microsoft, Intel, Amat, Johnson. I have been very disciplined in that I will never allow more than half of my money to be in the stock market.

When I do see a profit I sell. At that point, I sweep the profits out of the speculative side and into the "grandmother" side. On this side I typically invest in preferred stocks and other high interest vehicles if the money is in my retirement accounts or Muni bonds if the money is in regular, taxable accounts. I also to buy Fannie Mae and Ginny Maes in both accounts. I only buy A or better rated issues and Insured Munis (usually New Jersey for triple tax free status).

Following this philosopy, I did not get hurt very badly when the market collapsed. Those stocks that I am holding at below purchase price are fine companies and are stocks, with the exception of perhaps AOL, that I am sure will come back some day. I never bought Amazon or other issues like that.

The reason I posted the question in the first place is that many of my high yielding vehicles are being called in. This has left me in a position where I have a significant amout of available cash but I don't want to invest it at today's low rates. I am looking for alternate, safe, high yielding investments. I'm sure that everone else is too.

As far as picking an investment advisor. That is a very tough one. I don't use an advestment advisor, but I suppose on of the most important charactoristics is that you must have trust in him/her. You must feet comfortable in talking to and working with them. If you don't this is probably not the advisor for you.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

This thread's getting better all the time.

Ohio, first off you want a registered financial advisor. You also want one that is fee based rather than commision based. If you ask, they are supposed to tell you if they are getting commisions. You also want one that someone you know and respect can recommend. I use a fellow here in the Boston area that has clients all the way in New York and New Jersey. It is a strange business.

Rob, where do you find the time to watch those stocks? this is why I don't invest in individual stocks. I don't have the time to watch them. I am spending all my free time here!!!!

So, anyone interested in forming an investment club?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill

Ohio, first off you want a registered financial advisor.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by OhioRacer
Here's another question for this thread. I'm thinking of changing investment advisors. How did you choose yours?
I use an advisor from the Financial Division of Wells Fargo. If you have $50K (it could be less) with them this is a free service. I use the adivsor as someone for alerts of new issues (have given her instructions only to contact me when a new issue of a pf stock meets my criteria). This works well for me. They can also do full planning as they have all the software to do projections, payouts, tax advantages, etc. As stated above you must feel comfortable with the person and understand thier motivation. Do they work for you or do they have an agenda to sell investment vehicles?
Old 11-08-2003, 07:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill

Ohio, first off you want a registered financial advisor.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:05 AM

When the S2000 came out in September 1999 I called around several states but couldn't find any dealers that would order one at MSRP. In October a local dealer I know from tennis said he would order one at MSRP with $5000 deposit which I did with delivery to be March 2000.

Now the investment side of the story. Anybody remember when the Nasdaq hit 5000. It was March 2000. My wife felt a 70 year old man wanting a car like that must be somewhat going around the bend. She also was worried about the market being so high so to pacify her I sold $75,000 in an aggresiive growth fund to buy the car. I hate to admit this but at the time I was somewhat miffed about doing this because I was sure the Nasdaq was going to 10,000.

My portfolio in % all with Fidelity no load funds

S&P 500 Index 30
Baron Growth 10
Firsthand Value 10
REIT 10
Short term bond 10
Int. term bond 10
Mortgage bond 10
Cash 10

I think I want ralper for my investment advisor.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OhioRacer
Old 11-08-2003, 08:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Reichard
My portfolio in % all with Fidelity no load funds

S&P 500 Index
Old 11-08-2003, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure how I'm doing compared to other investment approaches. I would like to know if I'm on the right track or doing as well as the rest of you folks. So far year to date, I am up 20% on my total IRA portfolio that is 98% in equities. Is that good, average or low compared to your portfolio?
How do you feel about foreign investment mutual funds?

Quick Reply: Investments