S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ireland is Mad at the NCAA

Old 08-11-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ireland is Mad at the NCAA

Ireland is Mad at the NCAA

NEW YORK, New York --- Ireland became furious over a recent announcement by the NCAA to ban Native American mascots in tournaments due to their abusive and hostile nature. Ireland accused the NCAA of discrimination for not demanding the same ban on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish mascot or other mascots like the St. Mary's College Gaels (what the hell's a gael anyway?).

"These hippie bastards will ban mascots for Native Americans but not for foreigners?" said Seamus O'Malley, an Irish attorney. "I'm fightin' mad over this. I'll bust those damn wankers in the jaw to knock some sense into them. We need to have our image protected. We're sensitive, and we feel the sting of mascot insensitivity, too."

Meanwhile, other groups also felt slighted by the ban. Greeks began legal work to ban Spartan mascots from any tournaments. Descendants of the ancient city of Troy started rumblings about banning the Trojan mascot. Satanists demanded that mascots like the Blue Devils and Sun Devils be banned for insensitivity to Satanic religious beliefs. The United Way asked that the Tennessee Volunteers not disrespect volunteers around the country with their insensitive use of the term as a mascot. Pope Benedict XVI chimed in and demanded that Saints also be banned as mascots during tournaments. Spock demanded that the NCAA ban the University of Hawaii-Hilo from using the Vulcan mascot. Upon hearing the news, President Bush sent word that he was offended by Emory and Henry College's use of the Wasp mascot. PETA threatened to kill all NCAA directors if they did not include a ban on any and all animals as mascots, claiming the emotional distress caused to animals by exploiting them as mascots is irreversible in many cases.

In light of the uproar, NCAA officials said they were planning to require all schools to drop mascots and be known only by a number assigned to them by the NCAA. For example, the Duke 37's will play the North Carolina 124's. They hope this measure eliminates all insensitivity to all religions, races, creeds, cultures, fetishes, and sexual groups. The March Madness tournament will also be renamed to "The Lovingly Played Challenge Basketball Tournament Where Everyone Is a Winner" to avoid using the term "Madness," which might offend angry people or those who have gone mad.

- Jeremy Robb
Old 08-12-2005, 06:54 PM

Political Correctness
Old 08-13-2005, 03:59 AM

Read Mike Bianchi's column to see just how ridiculous this could become.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/colu...=orl-sports-col
Old 08-13-2005, 08:49 AM

While it's easy to make fun of this sort of political correctness, particularly by invoking the sort of extremist hypothetical cases discussed here and in the Orlando paper, there's another side to this as well.

I went to the University of Illinois as an undergraduate (way, way long ago), and the "Fighting Illini" (a fierce name for the extinct tribe that the state is named after) were represented at football and basketball games by an acrobatic white guy dressed up as a Hollywood Indian, prancing about, inciting the crowd. I didn't think much of it at the time, except that it seemed kind of dumb.

But since I've lived here in New Mexico, where there are some 19 Pueblo Indian nations plus the Navajos, my attitude has changed. It's more than just dumb. It's flat out demeaning. The various tribes hereabouts take their dances quite seriously -- they're religious ceremonies, after all. While many times tourists are invited to observe, they're expected to behave and not to take pictures, just as you might be expected to behave in, say, a visit to a mass at some famous cathedral.

There's no compelling reason for any organization, university or professional sports franchise, to exploit any cultural group for its own profit. Goodness knows the American Indians have been exploited enough since Columbus arrived in this hemisphere -- why add insult to injury by making cartoons out of them? The NCAA ruling, for all that it's dictatorial, simply closes the book on several problem cases (including UofI) in which the institutions have stalled to placate tradition-bound alumni. No one with a university degree from any of these schools will suffer a whit for this, and the demeaning practices will stop.

Personally, I rather like the approach taken by a couple of the newer University of California campuses -- humor. I, for one, would be proud to call myself a UC Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slug, or even a UC Irvine Anteater. I can't wait for a student election somewhere in which they're able to avoid taking themselves seriously to the point of voting favor of becoming the Big State U Nematodes. HPH
Old 08-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had fun with this at work this year. We had 'sensitivity training' (I think that's what they called it), which was mostly common sense, and actually a fun class.
The only thing I disagreed with was when they asked "How would you feel if you were the single male in a meeting with three women, and they started discussing their sexual fantasies?". I guess "ecstatic" wasn't what they were looking for.

But, I digress. What made it fun was that I'm Irish (off-the-Aer Lingus-747-Irish), and the class was in March. So I announced to the CEO with a perfectly straight face that all the leprechaun jokes around St. Paddy's Day were really causing a problem for me. Lol...
Old 08-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Aug 13 2005, 10:49 AM
While it's easy to make fun of this sort of political correctness, particularly by invoking the sort of extremist hypothetical cases discussed here and in the Orlando paper, there's another side to this as well.

I went to the University of Illinois as an undergraduate (way, way long ago), and the "Fighting Illini" (a fierce name for the extinct tribe that the state is named after) were represented at football and basketball games by an acrobatic white guy dressed up as a Hollywood Indian, prancing about, inciting the crowd. I didn't think much of it at the time, except that it seemed kind of dumb.

But since I've lived here in New Mexico, where there are some 19 Pueblo Indian nations plus the Navajos, my attitude has changed. It's more than just dumb. It's flat out demeaning. The various tribes hereabouts take their dances quite seriously -- they're religious ceremonies, after all. While many times tourists are invited to observe, they're expected to behave and not to take pictures, just as you might be expected to behave in, say, a visit to a mass at some famous cathedral.

There's no compelling reason for any organization, university or professional sports franchise, to exploit any cultural group for its own profit. Goodness knows the American Indians have been exploited enough since Columbus arrived in this hemisphere -- why add insult to injury by making cartoons out of them? The NCAA ruling, for all that it's dictatorial, simply closes the book on several problem cases (including UofI) in which the institutions have stalled to placate tradition-bound alumni. No one with a university degree from any of these schools will suffer a whit for this, and the demeaning practices will stop.

Personally, I rather like the approach taken by a couple of the newer University of California campuses -- humor. I, for one, would be proud to call myself a UC Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slug, or even a UC Irvine Anteater. I can't wait for a student election somewhere in which they're able to avoid taking themselves seriously to the point of voting favor of becoming the Big State U Nematodes. HPH
I disagree with every single word of this post.

There is another thread going on in the politics forum.https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311381

I think the NCAA has gone too far this time!
Old 08-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Aug 13 2005, 08:49 AM
There's no compelling reason for any organization, university or professional sports franchise, to exploit any cultural group for its own profit.
While I don't want to argue one way or another regarding the political correctness of banning mascots named after Native Americans, I have to take exception to this sentence. I believe that by and large, organizations name their mascots not to "exploit" what the mascot stands for, but rather, the mascot is held in a position of honor and respect. It is an honor to name yourself after something, because you respect that thing (or culture or group). In this case, I think the mascot is not an object of exploitation or profit, but an object of honor and respect.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:26 PM

Agreed. And if you follow the other thread, that is exactly how the Seminole people feel.