S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Keeping parents in their home

Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Default Keeping parents in their home

My parents, especially my mother (88 - Dad is 94), are intent on staying in their home as long as possible - at least until one of them dies. Then I think the other would go to assisted living. But they have a four-level split. My dad's balance is getting very iffy, so falls are a definite concern. His bedroom is on the upper level, kitchen/LR is on the middle level, rec room on the lower level and basement (where his computer is) the lowest. So he's going up and down three flights of stairs. He does use a cane and walker, but I'm still not liking all the stairs.

I'm going to try to convince him to move into the bedroom on the rec room level (where the carport is, also). And move the computer up to that bedroom. Then install an electric chair on the set of steps between the kitchen and rec room so he doesn't feel entirely isolated from the rest of the house. My mother will continue to be in a bedroom on the top level. She is fine. Have any of you had experience with these electric chairs? The one I'm looking at gets very good reviews.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

A former neighbor had an illness which left him unable to walk/climb stairs for a while. They had just moved into a much larger two story home and the bedrooms were upstairs.

They had one of those electric chairs installed, and to the best of my knowledge, were very happy with it.

If I see him around, I'll ask him the brand name of the chair.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM

Well, we had "the talk" this afternoon, and my dad has agreed to move the computer up to his bedroom on the upper level. Then we are buying two chair lifts. One for that level down to the kitchen level, and another from the kitchen to the rec room level. No more going down to the basement for him. So I'm researching the chair lifts. All we need to do is exchange the high dresser in his room for a computer cabinet he had from his time in assisted living (not his computer table - too big). So...looks like progress! Should be done in August sometime if everything goes as planned.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Good luck Deb...

I went through this process,a few years ago,and,believe me ,it is not a pleasant situation.

My case was different though...Father was suffering from Alzheimer,and could not be safely,live alone in his Condo.

My wife Renée,and I,both quit our jobs,moved from Montréal,to Québec city,to take care of him,but in the end,(+/-6 months later,) we had to place him in an assisted living (SCHLSD.) and he died a month later...

Wish you the best of luck;but,no matter what,one of these days,they will have to go to assisted living,and that will be a sad day.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Fortunately, both my parents are mentally still doing well. No Alzheimer's in the family. These lifts are not cheap, but certainly much less expensive than moving him out of the house! So I'm hoping this works for the foreseeable future. Hard to predict, though, with his advanced age.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Deb, it does sound as if your conversation with the parents went well.

We only have my Mom left now. She's in senior housing, and quite healthy and independent. However at age 88, that situation could change any time.

We don't envy your situation. It is difficult.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Wish you good luck,Deb,(and,I know,it's not the appropriate wording,,,)
Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks...the scenario has changed a bit since yesterday, after my mom thought about it some more. She now wants three of the chair lifts for all three sets of stairs. She doesn't want to restrict my dad from being in the basement because it's always been his place to putter around, be on the computer, etc. So change would probably not be good. I'm going to have the guy come out and talk about all the options. It could be better to have one big curved lift going down all three levels. The project may require some electrical modifications to the house to accommodate the lifts.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

One of my friends had two of these lifts installed in her home to accommodate her disabled daughter. They had one on the mail level and one on the stairway going into the lower level. They really liked the lifts and it gave the daughter the freedom to go onto various levels unaided. I have no idea what costs are involved, but I suspect the longer your parents can remain in their home, the happier they will be. Best wishes to you, MsP. I dread the time when my mother becomes unable to live alone.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

When I built my home, one of the option's was to have wheelchair accessability to the master bedroom. I didn't have it done, but now I'm thinking I should have. Fortunately, my home is all on one floor, we knew that we didn't want stair's.

Quick Reply: Keeping parents in their home