S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Kids on cars: Who cares?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Kids on cars: Who cares?

At a car meet yesterday us boys were enjoying our favorite beverage and the discussion turned to kids of today and cars. We came to the agreement that they were more interested in electronics than cars and that youth's love affair with the car - for the most part - is over. An article came out today that reaches the same conclusion.

Kids on cars: Who cares?

Automotive News | June 7, 2010 - 12:01 am EST

When today's baby boomers were young, cars were a consuming fantasy -- symbols of adulthood and freedom, magic carpets that sped them away from the square world of mom and dad and connected them with the youth subculture.

You could buy a car cheap, learn to work on it, fill it with 25-cent-a-gallon gasoline, and off you went.

But the Internet and smart phones do the cultural connecting these days. Cars are expensive and stuffed with computer modules that thwart the would-be garage mechanic. And gasoline? A gallon costs what a tankful used to.

"I don't think the car symbolizes freedom to Gen Y to the extent it did baby boomers or, to a lesser extent, Gen Xers," says Sheryl Connelly, who tracks cultural trends for Ford Motor Co.

Some numbers back her up:

-- In 1978, nearly half of U.S. 16-year-olds and three-quarters of 17-year-olds had driver's licenses, according to the Department of Transportation. By 2008, only 31 percent of 16-year-olds and 49 percent of 17-year-olds had licenses. The downward trend also holds true for 18- and 19-year-olds as well and those in their 20s.

-- The share of miles driven by Americans 21 to 30 fell to 13.7 percent in 2009 from 18.3 percent in 2001 and 20.8 percent in 1995, according to the Federal Highway Administration.

William Draves, president of Lern, a consulting firm, says the digital age is reshaping the world much like the automobile reshaped American life early in the last century. The worker-bee mentality of a tight economy also is a factor, he says: "Time becomes really valuable to them. You can work on a train. You can't work in a car. And the difference is two to three hours a day or about 25 percent of one's productive time."

Some trend-watchers say the dwindling love affair with the auto will have a significant impact on sales. Carlos Gomes, an economist with ScotiaBank in Toronto, predicts growth in U.S. new-vehicle sales of only around 0.6 percent annually over the next decade, cutting by nearly half the 1.1 percent growth rate of the prior decade.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree with most of the above I think that state requirements have helped to slow the number of licenses. Growing up in NY you only had to be 16 to go for a permit and then a driver license. In Texas today, if you are under 18, you need to take a 32 hour divers ed course before applying for a license. I see this as a factor in the number of licenses issued.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I observed my nephews best buddy back when they were 4-5 year olds (they are now 7). The kid would identify colors with cars. Green was John Deere, Yellow was caterpillar, and Red was Ferrari. The little guy had an awesome collection of toy cars and knew everything about them. It put a smile on my face and gave me hope. Needless to say I'm happy my nephew has such a positive influence as his father and best friend are car nuts.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting take on this trend. I wonder how much of a role environmental awareness plays in this. This latest generation seems to be much more environmentally aware than my generation was at the same age.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Increased urbanization is also become a factor.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I don't know. Both of my sons wanted to get their drivers licenses as soon as they could. My older son, now 22, wasn't "car crazy" but he wanted the mobility that came with driving and owning a car. My other son, Adam, is going to be 16 tomorrow and is chomping at the bit to get his permit. He is as "car crazy" as I am. Both of my son's friends wanted to (want to) get their licenses as soon as possible.

I think that there are many other diversions and distractions today then when we were younger, and that is perhaps why it doesn't appear that younger people are interested in cars. When we were that age, we'd just as soon go for a drive as anything else. Today, young people, especially young men, get together to play video games instead.

And I think that in general, cars are less interesting today then when we were younger. I never liked the American cars of the 50's and 60's but I have to admit that they had a certain style and character to them. Todays cars have very little character and are certainly not distinct. There really isn't much emphasis on styling, and an lot of cars look just like each other. What exactly distinguishes a Toyota Camry from a Nissan, Kia or Hyundai, except for the hype? From 500 feet can you really tell the difference between a Camry, Lexus ES or a Nissan Maxima?

Finally, I think that cars have been around long enough, and now that most every household has one (or more) they are no longer the novelty they were to those of us growing up in the years following World War II and the one or two decades that followed. Our kids have grown up taking the mobility for granted.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:28 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Happy birthday to Adam, is he getting his permit today?
Levi
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k,Jun 8 2010, 05:28 AM
Happy birthday to Adam, is he getting his permit today?
Levi
Thank you Levi. I'll tell Adam.

Unfortunately, here in New Jersey, before you get a regular permit you have to have 6 hours with a licensed driving instructor. We submitted the application 3 weeks ago (the earliest they would take it) and are now waiting for an appointment. They think he should have his permit by about the 20th of the month. As you can imagine, Adam isn't too happy about that.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Is that time with the instructor spent on the road, in a classroom and is it one on one or a group instruction?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k,Jun 8 2010, 06:31 AM
Is that time with the instructor spent on the road, in a classroom and is it one on one or a group instruction?
I think they spend 1 hour in the classroom and they spend about an hour at the NJDMV getting the permit. The other 4 hours are in the car. Based on our experience with my older son, the hours behind the wheel with the instructor are not very comprehensive or good. Basically, it's an introduction to the car.

Adam is way ahead of this already. He's been driving up and down our driveway and around the block with me in the car for just about the last year. He probably could pass his road test with a little more practice.

Once he gets his regular permit and I take him on the road and teach him defensive driving he'll be fine. He's going to be a natural.

Quick Reply: Kids on cars: Who cares?