S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Korean ferry tragedy

Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts
Default The Korean ferry tragedy

Many disaster investigations have shown it is not a single fault or error that leads up to tragedies but a string of poor decisions and miscalculations.

Sadly details are starting to emerge about the Ferry and what led up to the calamity.
1.) When the current owners acquired the ferry they added an additional deck. There is a strong likelihood this contributed to poor overall stability by moving the center of balance higher.
2.) Reports are now emerging that he ship may have been significantly overloaded.
3.) While speculation on my part, it is highly likely that if overloaded the cargo was not adequately secured. This would allow it to shift in the hold.
4.) The captain was not on the bridge during critical maneuvers. It is likely that the 3rd mate got "behind on his controls" and overcompensated causing the ship to heave too hard.
5.) The unsecured cargo shifted hard to the side which induced a roll. The ship could not recover sue to high center of mass.
6.) The crew didn't recognize the severity of the situation and ordered passengers back to quarters effectively sealing their fates.
7.) Once the ship rolled enough to the side the passengers could not escape if they wanted to.

I have little doubt the crew will be punished.
I wonder if the owners will receive their due as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Many disaster investigations have shown it is not a single fault or error that leads up to tragedies but a string of poor decisions and miscalculations.

Sadly details are starting to emerge about the Ferry and what led up to the calamity.
1.) When the current owners acquired the ferry they added an additional deck. There is a strong likelihood this contributed to poor overall stability by moving the center of balance higher.
2.) Reports are now emerging that he ship may have been significantly overloaded.
3.) While speculation on my part, it is highly likely that if overloaded the cargo was not adequately secured. This would allow it to shift in the hold.
4.) The captain was not on the bridge during critical maneuvers. It is likely that the 3rd mate got "behind on his controls" and overcompensated causing the ship to heave too hard.
5.) The unsecured cargo shifted hard to the side which induced a roll. The ship could not recover sue to high center of mass.
6.) The crew didn't recognize the severity of the situation and ordered passengers back to quarters effectively sealing their fates.
7.) Once the ship rolled enough to the side the passengers could not escape if they wanted to.

I wonder if the owners will receive their due as well.
If they lived through it.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you imagine the horror the lower shipmates experienced when they realized they were in distress? Without guidance and proper training they were no better off than their passengers. The cowardly captain who was responsible for the ships oversight and the owners who wanted to capitalize from the voyage are entirely responsible for this tragedy.

It’s sad.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 697 Likes on 473 Posts

A lot of errors, the captain should be tried for manslaughter. Those poor kids and crew, my heart goes out to their families. The response to this tragedy was slow so there is lots of blame to share.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
It appears they will be.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Adding onto the list of contributing factors, it appears that the fundamental design of the ferry was flawed from the beginning.
A japanese ferry of the exact same design had rolled unexpectedly although in that case the crew did the right thing and everyone got off safely.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

More arrests. This time for destroying evidence:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/28/world/...html?hpt=hp_c2