S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Learning to drive a stick shift

Old 05-31-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Thanks for sharing that, Dave. Very cool!

I would love to teach my granddaughter to drive a stick shift....she's only three years away from getting her license. Wonder if she will express any interest.

Recently, my son drove Rick's WRX. The first time he drove a stick shift in about 15 years It is like riding a bike. This week he borrowed the car for a couple of days. His co-workers were surprised that the WRX turbo was Dad's car. Rick told him he should have mentioned that the WRX is a commuter car. The S2000 is the toy.
tought my daughter and son both how to drive a stick on my Integra and S2000...

Daily driver is a '13 Genesis Coupe 3.8 with a stick.... I feel I have better control of the car with the stick shift!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Taught my youngest daughter to drive stick a long time ago. My oldest daughter didn't want anything to do with stick shift. Within the past two years I taught both of the oldest grandsons to drive stick in the S2000
Old 05-31-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

I agree with Lainey, there is a time and place for both. In fact, I've always had one or more of each in my garage. I would not want it any other way.

As for passing it forward.... I have a 17 year old grandson and he's never driven a stick and he's not going to learn on my car until he changes his ways. I've worked on his car several times and when I'm riding with him he scares the shit out of me. Drives way way way too fast for conditions and is not in touch with whats going on around him from a driver's standpoint. I've screamed at him a couple times that have kept us from being in an accident. I would love to send him to a serious driver's training school but he doesn't listen to me so I'd probably be wasting my money. He was after me for 3 years to use my Audi for his senior prom. I was SO close to agreeing until I rode with him the last time and there's no way that is going to happen. And it didn't.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

FWIIW: I agree with the guys on CarTalk.com when it comes to teaching people to drive a manual transmission. I for one believe that people should know how to drive both, perhaps in case of an emergency.

Two of our three vehicles have manual transmissions and when I drive our Infiniti I often find myself pushing the button to take it out of D4 (overdrive) to downshift it into third for engine braking. Sometimes in stop and go traffic I put it into 1st gear to avoid having to brake during the "slinky effect" of traffic.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:13 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

It is a good thing to have an automatic in your "fleet", if possible. It can come in handy if someone injures a leg or arm.
There was that time when I had 3 cars, all manuals and a motorcycle and a badly sprained left ankle....
Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people are going to buy what is on the dealer's lot. Most sales persons and managers believe that manuals won't sell, so they order automatics. Manufacturers make what their customers (dealers) order.

Over the years, I've read numerous stories of someone's quest to buy a manual; dealership personnel tell them manuals don't sell, that people want automatics; then they mention that whenever they get a manual on the lot it sells immediately.

Lainey makes a good point about an injury making driving a manual problematic. I slipped on the ice a few years ago and injured my right shoulder. Shifting gears was a real problem: I could pull the shifter back into 2nd or 4th, but pushing it forward for 1st, 3rd, or 5th was difficult for a while.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
Many people are going to buy what is on the dealer's lot. Most sales persons and managers believe that manuals won't sell, so they order automatics. Manufacturers make what their customers (dealers) order.

Over the years, I've read numerous stories of someone's quest to buy a manual; dealership personnel tell them manuals don't sell, that people want automatics; then they mention that whenever they get a manual on the lot it sells immediately.
About fifteen years ago we bought a 1993 Ford Explorer 4 Door XLT from a long time friend of mine. He sold it because he needed more towing capacity ( than the 3500 LBS the "Exploder" had). He had ordered a Yukon and advertised the Exploder in both the Washington Post and the Baltimore Sun for almost two months and never got a single phone call on it as it had a five speed manual transmission. BTW, it was one of only two Ford Explorer XLT's I have ever seen with a manual transmission. About three days before his Yukon was going to arrive at the dealer he called us up and asked if we were interested in buying it for what the dealer was going to give him on trade. Knowing that he is a motor head and takes good care of his vehicles adding in the fact that it had Michelin +1 tires, Bilstein Gas shocks, IPD sway bars both front and rear we jumped on it. And we drove it for another 100,000 miles before donating it to the Salvation Army.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy driving the S, I don't mind driving the WRX, but I am now in the camp that wants an automatic around town. I don't sit in a ton of traffic, but the fun of driving a stick disappears (for me) when I'm sitting in traffic...

It is a good thing to have an automatic in your "fleet", if possible. It can come in handy if someone injures a leg or arm.
This - in spades. I love driving the S as much as ever but the tedium of driving back and forth to work in stop and go (mostly stop or crawl for the first half) makes me glad I bought the Focus SE for commuting. It's just so much easier especially with hands free Bluetooth and less stress on the clutch in the S.

Although I must admit I drove the S to work today - upper 60s this morning and low 80s this afternoon with partly cloudy skies. It doesn't get much better than that for top down driving both ways.

As for teaching young folks to drive a manual they're more than welcome to practice on my '05 Silverado 5 speed - with proof of insurance.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I don't know. I don't like sitting in traffic no matter which transmission I'm driving. I don't find it any worse to be in traffic with a manual than with an automatic. Either way traffic is no fun. An automatic transmission doesn't make it any more fun or more tolerable.

Like most everyone else here, I've been driving manual transmissions for so long that shifting feels almost automatic to me. Sometimes I find myself in a gear but I don't remember shifting into it. Right now I'm driving a dealer loaner car with an automatic while my daily driver is in for service. I almost went through the windshield today when I was slowing down and my clutch foot hit the left side of the brake pedal. Stopping very short I all of a sudden remembered that I was driving an automatic.

My problem with driving a car with an automatic transmission is that I get bored of them very quickly. I don't feel involved with the car. I can't keep an automatic transmission car very long. On the other hand, I always feel very involved with cars with manual transmissions. They don't bore me and I tend to keep them a long time. Having a manual transmission gives me a sense of involvement with the car.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 PM

When driving either of our two vehicles in stop and go traffic (either the S or the Fit) I often just put them in first gear and slowly let out the clutch pedal and creep along in 1 st gear at idle speed, leaving a bit of distance behind the vehicle in front of me to allow for the slinky effect.

Quick Reply: Learning to drive a stick shift