S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Left my new iPhone 7+ on the airplane

Old 01-01-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Left my new iPhone 7+ on the airplane

Buckeye Sue and I traveled to Miami for the Orange Bowl game (Michigan vs. Florida State). Of course I had my iPhone with me, as it contains a lot of travel and reference information, as well as serving as a cellphone, camera, photo album, music player, etc.

When I got to the car rental counter at the Miami International airport, I discovered that I no longer had my cellphone. What to do? I suspected that perhaps it fell out of my jacket pocket on the airplane., but the arrival gate was very far away from the car rental facility.

Luckily, Buckeye Sue had her (little-used) emergency-use cellphone with her. But, I discovered that it had run out of power and needed to be charged. Of course, I hadn't brought her charger with me. A visit to Best Buy ensued, and they told me that the phone was too old and perhaps I could buy a replacement charger from Amazon! But, I needed a phone now!

We decided then to go to Verizon and upgrade her basic cellphone. We went to a local Verizon dealer who said he had a used charger which we could buy for $10. We decided instead to upgrade anyway, since we would get a new LG phone, a new charger, and it was a free upgrade.

Still, I was still missing my beloved iPhone.

That same day, I posted a lost cellphone claim on the American Airlines Lost and Found web site. I was delighted that the very next day, American contacted me via email to tell me that they had my phone. Apparently some honest person found my phone in the plane and turned in my phone to American Airlines. (Of course, the phone was "locked",but I think a clever person could hack around this). So, we went back to the airport the very next day and picked up my cellphone! You can't believe how relieved I was, and now I realize how much I rely on that cellphone.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

There ARE honest people in this world. It's nice to hear a story like yours. Glad you got your phone back!
Old 01-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Yes there are still some honest people around. I lost mine on my way to see a Phillies game. I called my number from my friends phone and a local street vendor had it. He asked me for a $20 reward, I paid it, could have been worse. Glad you got yours back.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Your lucky a passenger found it and not the ground crew or ....poof!!!! magic it disappeared.
I lost a watch on a flight, airline was useless.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
Buckeye Sue and I traveled to Miami for the Orange Bowl game (Michigan vs. Florida State). Of course I had my iPhone with me, as it contains a lot of travel and reference information, as well as serving as a cellphone, camera, photo album, music player, etc.

When I got to the car rental counter at the Miami International airport, I discovered that I no longer had my cellphone. What to do? I suspected that perhaps it fell out of my jacket pocket on the airplane., but the arrival gate was very far away from the car rental facility.

Luckily, Buckeye Sue had her (little-used) emergency-use cellphone with her. But, I discovered that it had run out of power and needed to be charged. Of course, I hadn't brought her charger with me. A visit to Best Buy ensued, and they told me that the phone was too old and perhaps I could buy a replacement charger from Amazon! But, I needed a phone now!

We decided then to go to Verizon and upgrade her basic cellphone. We went to a local Verizon dealer who said he had a used charger which we could buy for $10. We decided instead to upgrade anyway, since we would get a new LG phone, a new charger, and it was a free upgrade.

Still, I was still missing my beloved iPhone.

That same day, I posted a lost cellphone claim on the American Airlines Lost and Found web site. I was delighted that the very next day, American contacted me via email to tell me that they had my phone. Apparently some honest person found my phone in the plane and turned in my phone to American Airlines. (Of course, the phone was "locked",but I think a clever person could hack around this). So, we went back to the airport the very next day and picked up my cellphone! You can't believe how relieved I was, and now I realize how much I rely on that cellphone.
You did have the Find my iPhone App installed, I hope. That allows you to pin-point exactly where the phone is, and completely erase it, so it is useless to anyone who may try to use it, and your data is safe. Then, if it is found, you just restore it from the cloud. You must install this App on any iPhone you have!. PLEASE!

Also, sorry about the game.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

You would be amazed at all the stuff left behind on airplanes. Passengers also leave stuff behind at the checkpoints, gates, and terminals too. It is a fact of life.

I put recovery information on or in just about everything. I have my business card inside of the mobile back cover with some info on the back. The screen lock page also has scrolling info (Samsung). I use my wife's number as the contact if found. I can tell you it works.

As a professional traveler, I also put thin strips of reflective tape on all kinds of stuff: edges of my rolling suitcase, alarm clock, chargers, anything that can be left behind easily. Why? It is easy to spot on the room's final departing check as well as lighting up when a flashlight hits it in the dark cockpit or dark room. Everything has a particular place to be packed so I know instantly if something is missing.

Of course beware of pickpockets. Always leave your wallet behind in the room and have a disposable wallet or money clip to get around with. I have had one of my "city" wallets taken on the subway in China. No great loss, no cards, just about $20 in cash.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me on a flight from Honolulu to the Big Island. (We were in Hawaii for the USC Hawaii game.) I left my phone on the plane and the airline found it. I retrieved it the next day.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for your valuable suggestions.

I did install the Find My Phone app, but that still doesn't get you your phone back, but your data can be wiped off the phone.
I am using a portfolio style case for my iPhone, and I keep two of my business cards in it, along with my personal email address and home phone number.

Some of the other suggestions are unique and are something that I will definitely be trying.

When I picked up the cellphone at the airline lost & found office, the clerk had to sort through about 20 cell phones that were found in just the past day or so.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
Thanks to everyone for your valuable suggestions.

I did install the Find My Phone app, but that still doesn't get you your phone back, but your data can be wiped off the phone.
I am using a portfolio style case for my iPhone, and I keep two of my business cards in it, along with my personal email address and home phone number.

Some of the other suggestions are unique and are something that I will definitely be trying.

When I picked up the cellphone at the airline lost & found office, the clerk had to sort through about 20 cell phones that were found in just the past day or so.
Good to hear it worked out for you - better than the end of Orange Bowl game! That was some ending by FSU. And Sue got a new phone.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You would be amazed at all the stuff left behind on airplanes. Passengers also leave stuff behind at the checkpoints, gates, and terminals too. It is a fact of life.

I put recovery information on or in just about everything. I have my business card inside of the mobile back cover with some info on the back. The screen lock page also has scrolling info (Samsung). I use my wife's number as the contact if found. I can tell you it works.

As a professional traveler, I also put thin strips of reflective tape on all kinds of stuff: edges of my rolling suitcase, alarm clock, chargers, anything that can be left behind easily. Why? It is easy to spot on the room's final departing check as well as lighting up when a flashlight hits it in the dark cockpit or dark room. Everything has a particular place to be packed so I know instantly if something is missing.

Of course beware of pickpockets. Always leave your wallet behind in the room and have a disposable wallet or money clip to get around with. I have had one of my "city" wallets taken on the subway in China. No great loss, no cards, just about $20 in cash.
Good ideas. We have two different color reflective ties (red and green) on the handles of all our suitcases. It makes them really easy to ID at the baggage area and easy to see anywhere else. I like your idea of putting reflective tape on the chargers! I would not trust leaving a wallet in the room unless it has a safe. A friend of mine, who was snappy dresser and wore expensive suits (yea, he was a girl chaser) had all his suits stolen from a motel room. The last I knew it was his loss as they claimed he left the door unlocked; which of course he did not.

Quick Reply: Left my new iPhone 7+ on the airplane