S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Life Insurance

Old 11-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

IDK about elsewhere, but in CA, Costco sells caskets. I used to have a mortuary as a client and their records showed income from KDs. I finally asked what a KD was. The answer was "knock downs", what they called a plywood casket that they placed the deceased in to cremate them. I think they charged $100 bucks for them. Good enough for me.
Read my earlier post about making the final plans for yourself. I had so many clients over my 42 years that died and the family had no idea where to start.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,627 Posts

The big question is what do they consider healthy? I tried to have term life policy rewritten in my late 40’s. Because I have on occasion needed prednisone for an asthma flare they wanted to rate me differently. It was substantial. I cancelled the application
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

This thread reminded me of what one family I knew did when their MD mother died suddenly from an exploding aorta. This was in the early 70s. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, they were avid hikers and campers in the beloved Sierra Nevada. A small gold mining town (40 minutes from my home) Volcano still has active cemeteries. Armed with that knowlege they had the funeral home deliver the body to that "chosen" cemetery. The family was there to take delivery. Now with legal possession of the body, the family buried their mom at a location in the Sierras known only to them.

Always thought that was a pretty neat, informal way to bury someone.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Lainey, coming into play now as some of our friends have passed and the obits are full of people our age. My wife is concerned more than me. We have good assets and tons of home equity, not sure why we even need it. She panics easily.
Thanks Ray as well. I was always under the impression that life insurance was to make sure your other(s) and family weren't left in the bind of a mortgage that came out of your salary, or other expenses that one person would have to deal with when before death there was presumably one more income to deal with it.

Cindy and I both have a policy from our employers that I believe expires when we're no longer employed, or terminated, or retire. However at that point, I'd expect, like many of the people here, the cost of any funeral (which may not be insignificant) would be covered by savings.

For my Mother, both my sisters and I have access to her accounts, so I'd expect we'd write the necessary checks from those and just square up later. My father had a small policy that my Mother collected and used to pay off some debts they had. My siblings and I are all in a very different state financially than my parents were.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

My Mom wants to be cremated and her ashes buried with my Dadf's and her parents out of state. Well I plan to take them to the cemetery and scatter them over the other 3's graves. Don't tell Mom.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
My Mom wants to be cremated and her ashes buried with my Dadf's and her parents out of state. Well I plan to take them to the cemetery and scatter them over the other 3's graves. Don't tell Mom.
. My brother in law "got around" after his passing. My sister in law asked us to meet for dinner to pass along the some of the cremains so we could honor his wishes to scatter some of his ashes at his parents' grave. She wasn't up to it. We were planting flowers at the graves of my in-laws and added a bit of Norman to the soil. He would have been pleased .I I was very fond of him and he was only 72 when he passed from that cancer.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I think Legal Bill has the best idea because once you get far enough out, no one can't stop or regulate you.

Lainey just for giggles I tried to bump my short term and long term disability to 100% coverage.
it seems after having 8 inches of my colon removed and four stents the underwriters weren't real thrilled with the idea.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

We deposited my M-I-L in the water off of Hyannis, MA. That was her request. There is a charter boat there that does this regularly.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I always thought the idea behind life insurance was to provide for those left behind if you were to die early. Cover the mortgage, pay for children's education. Once retired, kids gone, home paid for, I don't see a need. If you can't cover the costs on retirement savings, you have bigger problems.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 4,957 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I always thought the idea behind life insurance was to provide for those left behind if you were to die early. Cover the mortgage, pay for children's education. Once retired, kids gone, home paid for, I don't see a need. If you can't cover the costs on retirement savings, you have bigger problems.
My thoughts as well .... I cashed in any of value when I retired, and cancelled any others

Quick Reply: Life Insurance