S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

List of new cars with manual transmissions

Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Wow, Harry that's a surprise. What have you planned to replace it?
I really want a hardtop convertible to replace it, Dave. That leaves me with a list of
Miata
BMW Z4 and 4 Series
Lexus IS C
VW EOS
MB SL class and SLK/SLC class
Infinity Q60

My short list is a used MB SL class or an SLC at present.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Wow! Eric - haven't heard from you in a dogs age! Great to see your still here.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Headchef
Wow! Eric - haven't heard from you in a dogs age! Great to see your still here.
Yup... still around. Just older and driving an automatic now.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by elmmx5
Yup... still around. Just older and driving an automatic now.
Could four doors be far behind?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

5 vehicles in our household, only 1 automatic...for my wife. I might regret that for a short period after my upcoming left hip replacement, but I'll get over it. The more and more I see about where newer cars are headed, the more I think I may keep the S2000 for another 10 years.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
I really want a hardtop convertible to replace it, Dave. That leaves me with a list of
Miata
BMW Z4 and 4 Series
Lexus IS C
VW EOS
MB SL class and SLK/SLC class
Infinity Q60

My short list is a used MB SL class or an SLC at present.
you won't here me arguing with that choice Harry.
The only downside to the hard top where it is so rigid is it will squeak over bigger bumps.
if I had it to do over I'd have gotten 550 instead of 500. tranny is much better and responsive, 500 fells more like classic slush bucket.
and then there is the AMG MCT with a wet clutch that feels like a classic manual to drive.
a little trailing throttle to get oversteer and a little touch on the throttle for understeer.
The following users liked this post:
hecash (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In the 60’s and into the early twenty-first century I would have preferred a manual transmission over anything automated. It wasn’t until my first drive in a BMW M3 did I realize the advantages of road racing with a double clutch paddle shifted transmission over a manual shifted. Once I used it,I loved it as a performance aid.

Also during my drag racing years, a few years earlier, I switched to an automatic transmission that couldn’t be beaten (I was out to win). It too was automatically shifted and performed without flaws.

Yet there are the lovers of a manual shifted gear boxes that offer less performance and a much greater chance of error. I’m guessing that the allure and its attraction goes along with your age and a sense of camaraderie with the other manual shifting individuals (which I’m not opposed to), and sense of control but offers little advantage in competition.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
if I had it to do over I'd have gotten 550 instead of 500. tranny is much better and responsive, 500 fells more like classic slush bucket.
and then there is the AMG MCT
I've only driven the 550. The weight of the vehicle was a bit surprising. I need to try the SLC to see if it is a little more nimble. The AMG genre does not fit into my piggy bank.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
In the 60’s and into the early twenty-first century I would have preferred a manual transmission over anything automated. It wasn’t until my first drive in a BMW M3 did I realize the advantages of road racing with a double clutch paddle shifted transmission over a manual shifted. Once I used it,I loved it as a performance aid.

Also during my drag racing years, a few years earlier, I switched to an automatic transmission that couldn’t be beaten (I was out to win). It too was automatically shifted and performed without flaws.

Yet there are the lovers of a manual shifted gear boxes that offer less performance and a much greater chance of error. I’m guessing that the allure and its attraction goes along with your age and a sense of camaraderie with the other manual shifting individuals (which I’m not opposed to), and sense of control but offers little advantage in competition.
You are probably right. On the track a modern automatic transmission is probably superior to a manual transmission. But in a fun little sports car or an everyday driver there is nothing that keeps you more engaged with the car than a manual transmission.

I have found over the years that I get bored very quickly with every car we've ever owned with an automatic transmission, yet cars that we own with manual transmissions keep me interested and engaged for a very long time.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
I've got my S2000 up for sale. It will be my last manual gearbox given the current, advanced state of the automatic transmission.
Good luck with the sale, Harry...and thanks for this thread Dave

In early June, I'm spending a day with Billman250 on Long Island for a soup-to-nuts update and 90,000 mile service. I want my '03 to have a good chance at lasting another 5 years....maybe 10.

Even if I decide to sell, I think a thorough service by one of the best S2000 mechanics in the USA should give credibility

Quick Reply: List of new cars with manual transmissions