S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A little surgery

Old 12-29-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default A little surgery

To those of you who have wondered if I have a hole in my head, ponder no longer.

I'm scheduled for some surgery in February. I have a cyst in my head that has eroded the base of my skull, exposing the dura (the zip-lock bag that keeps your brain fresh in its natural juices). Fortunately, the dura is not leaking...yet. But yes, there is a hole in my head. It's just between my inner ear and my brain where no one can see it.

I'd like to say it is a small hole, but it is quite large. So long story short, the docs will be: a. opening up the side of my skull with a hole saw, b. pushing my brain out of the way, and c. using the plug they just cut out of me to make patches for the damage in the base of my skull and to close the hole they drilled in the side of my skull. I understand that they will be adding some titanium into the mix. Of course, they will remove the cyst and repair the soft tissue damage it has caused in my inner ear as well.

So a five hour surgery, at least one night in the hospital, and then five days before I can return to work. I think this assumes I survive, but even if I don't they may need me to pay my health insurance premiums and deductibles before they bury me so I've told my firm to count on my return, just not my condition.

I know Emil will say this thread is worthless without pics, but I didn't ask for a copy of my CT and MRI scans. To bad really, they are quite impressive.
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (01-04-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
To those of you who have wondered if I have a hole in my head, ponder no longer.

I'm scheduled for some surgery in February. I have a cyst in my head that has eroded the base of my skull, exposing the dura (the zip-lock bag that keeps your brain fresh in its natural juices). Fortunately, the dura is not leaking...yet. But yes, there is a hole in my head. It's just between my inner ear and my brain where no one can see it.

I'd like to say it is a small hole, but it is quite large. So long story short, the docs will be: a. opening up the side of my skull with a hole saw, b. pushing my brain out of the way, and c. using the plug they just cut out of me to make patches for the damage in the base of my skull and to close the hole they drilled in the side of my skull. I understand that they will be adding some titanium into the mix. Of course, they will remove the cyst and repair the soft tissue damage it has caused in my inner ear as well.

So a five hour surgery, at least one night in the hospital, and then five days before I can return to work. I think this assumes I survive, but even if I don't they may need me to pay my health insurance premiums and deductibles before they bury me so I've told my firm to count on my return, just not my condition.

I know Emil will say this thread is worthless without pics, but I didn't ask for a copy of my CT and MRI scans. To bad really, they are quite impressive.
I have a titanium shift knob...very good,you’ll like it...
And no,please,no pics...
Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

I was thinking the same for Emil.

I'm sure everything will work out fine plus it will provide us with countless "hole in the head" material.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

So from now one we'll be able say bill is two holes short of a bowling ball.

My first question is,
1) how did you discover this?
2) and is it related to your sleep disorder?
3) Or are they unrelated but trying to figure out your sleep disorder serendipitously uncovered the cyst in your head?
4) none of the above frog jumper, mind your own business.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
So from now one we'll be able say bill is two holes short of a bowling
Hey,you,leave the frogs alone...
Old 12-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Yes, how did you find it? Was the cyst large enough for you to feel? Sounds unusual. Maybe you will be written up in a medical journal.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
So from now one we'll be able say bill is two holes short of a bowling ball.

My first question is,
1) how did you discover this?
2) and is it related to your sleep disorder?
3) Or are they unrelated but trying to figure out your sleep disorder serendipitously uncovered the cyst in your head?

1. I felt pressure at the joint of my jaw. I rubbed it hard and blood came out of my ear. I figured that was bad.

2-4. N/A
Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Yes, how did you find it? Was the cyst large enough for you to feel? Sounds unusual. Maybe you will be written up in a medical journal.
Apparently it happens quite a bit. My doctor had a stack of photocopied warning forms about the possible negative outcomes. I had to sign one, of course.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Bill that's downright scary stuff. Our best to you of course. If Barbara has the time to send me an update via email, I'll be happy to share your progress.

Best wishes,

Lainey & Rick
Old 12-29-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
1. I felt pressure at the joint of my jaw. I rubbed it hard and blood came out of my ear. I figured that was bad.

2-4. N/A
Did the doctors have any opinion on how long this cyst has been working on you? Does it affect your hearing? Are you planning on enjoying your New Year's Eve? Will your titanium show like this guy's?

Quick Reply: A little surgery