S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Looking for a nice single malt scotch

Old 11-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking for a nice single malt scotch

I've been thinking about what to get my dad for xmas this year and after a couple hours of going around, I think a nice bottle of scotch would suite him perfect. However, I'm not into the scotch market so choosing something nice is kind of hard. I would post this in off topic but I cherish some more mature opinions on some nice scotchs for an older man (64).

Heres what I have gathered:

I'm looking to spend ~50-150 dollars max. His favorite is a single malt scotch with a smooth non-smokey flavor to it. Some scotches that he has enjoyed (to get an idea of his taste) are Bunnahabhain, Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, Macallan, and Glenmorangie (I might have spelled some of those incorrect).

I'm open to all suggestions and will look into anything mentioned as well as some websites if anyone knows any that may rate scotch taste.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 11-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glenmorangie 30 yro. It's a little pricey, but your dad will appreciate it...trust me.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 3,510 Likes on 2,375 Posts

that list looks like a pretty good place to start.
Personally, I tend towards the Macallan. The 18 or 25 year old are a pretty good place to start.

ive ever had the luxury of the 30 yr Glenmorangie.

if i remember correctly macallan used to have scotch tasting classes that toured the country.
i know that johnie walker still does. ironically they compare against a lot of the single malts. and they are free.
maybe you could get him a spot at scotch school.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM

Auchentoshan
Old 11-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Nov 26 2006, 05:31 PM
that list looks like a pretty good place to start.
Personally, I tend towards the Macallan. The 18 or 25 year old are a pretty good place to start.
These are good choices but will run over $150. Expect to go over $200 (at least here in Texas) for the 25 year old. I also do not like a very smokey taste so I drink and would recommend The Glenlivet. It comes in 12, 18, and 21 year old or you can buy the 1966 vintage for about $2500
Old 11-26-2006, 03:55 PM

I read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush. He was on a soul searching motorcycle odyssey. Seemed like every other page he was having a sip of The Macallan. He's got enough $$ to afford anything, must be good stuff.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, my tastes run more towards Islay and the other island Scotches like Highland Park and Taliskers. Sounds like your dad goes the other way. But in any event, buying somebody Scotch or wine is a really tricky business. Unless you know a lot about their tastes AND a lot about the subject, you can easily spend a boatload of money on something that they are only politely interested in.

IMO, it's better to just ask if there is anything they would like to try and haven't tried before, or if there is anything they don't have on their shelf that they've been neaning to get.

In my case, for instance, if somebody bought me a nice bottle of Macallan I would mostly be wishing it could magically turn itself into the bottle of Lagavulin I keep meaning to buy myself as a treat.

Ask him if there is anything he would like to try in "cask strength". Maybe even http://www.themacallan.com/range/cask_strength_us.html
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 PM

Given those he likes, you might try the older Glenfiddich bottlings, they are somewhat overcommercialized but also quite good scotch as they get older.

Take this with a grain, as I also prefer the Islay as my taste in Scotch matures.

Dave
Old 11-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 3,510 Likes on 2,375 Posts

on a side note.
it's really depressing when you enter the macallan site and have to click down three or four windows to get to your birth year.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This topic made me go pour a bit of Highland Park for myself, which made me think of the following idea:

http://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Vinum-Single-.../dp/B00021YXFU/

I have a set of four, and I love them. The shape really works a lot better than the traditional shot glass, and your dad can use them with any Scotch he drinks.

Quick Reply: Looking for a nice single malt scotch