S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Looking for recommendations on what to do on a tourist weekend to New York

Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations on what to do on a tourist weekend to New York

I'm thinking about taking LOML to New York city for a tourist weekend at the end of September.

I've never been and am looking for recommendations of things to do and see.

Yes, we would probably like to take in a show or something.

Recommendations on where to stay are most welcome as well.

We would be taking the train in from the Washington, DC area.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Of course that is one of the big problems with New York, there really isn't anything to do....

American Museum of Natural History.
Of course Statue of Liberty.
Ellis Island
Central Park.
Guggenheim.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center)
Radio City Music Hall
Fifth Avenue
Times Square
People Watching

Waiting for our NY City native Rob to pitch in...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I'm a born and breed New Yorker. Even though we now live in Northern New Jersey, we still spend a lot of time in New York. I still see myself as a New Yorker. Here's a list off the top of my head of some things to do. If this isn't enough, or you need some info, feel free to pm me.

Where to stay is a very difficult question. Everything in New York is very expensive. There are some very nice "Boutique" Hotels but their rates are obscene. Most of the name brand hotels are supposed to be good. If you don't mind the expense stay in Manhattan rather than the boroughs, but there are some nice hotels in Brooklyn, just a short subway ride outside of Manhattan.

Leave your car home, it'll just get in the way and cost you a lot to park. New York is a walking town. Wear comfortable shoes.

Let us know if you plan on going to the boroughs, there's lots to do and see there too.

Here are some suggestions, some are touristy and some aren't. They're all fun. Enjoy.

1. Go to the Observation Deck of the Empire State Building after dark.

2. Take a Saturday afternoon walk through Central Park.

3. Take a walk on Lower Broadway (between Delancey Street and Canal Street) and look at the people.

4. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

5. Take the Staten Island Ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island and back. Stand outside at the front.

6. Go to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field. Root for the Mets or the Yanks. New York fans are very vocal. Lets Go Mets!

7. See a show at the Apollo Theatre on 125th Street.

8. Have lunch in ChinaTown, especially Big Wong's on Mott Street. Its noisy, crowded and cheap and the food is great. Be prepared to share a table. Order a Pork/Rice and a WonTon Noodle Soup. The food does a tap dance on your tongue. Don't be offended by the chickens and ducks hanging in the window. In Chinatown the rule of thumb is the worse the food looks, the better it tastes.

9. Go to Times Square. Any time is good but night time is special.

10. See an off Broadway show. See a Broadway show (buy tickets at a TKTS booth at 1/2 price the day of the show)

11. Have dinner in Little Italy (Umberto's Clam House is where Joey Gallo got shot but the food is good). There isn't much Little Italy left, but there are still a few good restaurants on and around Mulberry Street.

12. Take a ride on the Subway. For real fun take the D train to Coney Island, have lunch at the original Nathans Famous on Surf Avenue. Ride the Cyclone (worlds greatest wooden rollercoaster) and visit the NY Aquarium (The Aquarium was badly damaged during Hurricane Sandy and only 1/2 of it is open. The shark exhibit is currently closed for repairs). Take off your shoes and walk along the water. Coney is a great beach.

13. Take your significant other shopping. If you want to spend a lot go to the stores on Lexington Avenue and Madison Avenue uptown. If you want to spend a little go to the Lower East Side (Grand Street, Orchard Street, etc.).

14. Go to the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side and see how the Jewish immigrants lived when they came here at the turn of the century.

15. Visit a few of the museums, too many to mention here but the American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) are great places to start. I'm not sure if the Museum of Sex is still open, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has an annex in New York City.

16. Take a walk through Greenwich Village. It's different than it was in the 60s and 70s, but still worth a visit.

17. Rent a bike (really cheap from Citibike, and everywhere) and bike around Wall Street. Not as quiet as it used to be on the weekends but still a nice place to bike. Make sure you wear a helmet.

18. Have a slice of pizza at the "Original Ray's" best pizza in the universe.

19. Visit the World Trade Center site and tour the memorial. After that walk to Battery Park

20. Go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Both are inspiring. Lady Liberty will take your breath away and Ellis will amaze you.Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

21. Take the tram to Roosevelt Island and back.

22. Walk across the George Washington Bridge.

23. Visit the Intrepid.

24. Take a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan.

25. Soho is very "artsie/craftsie" but a lot of fun. Some nice boutiques and small restaurants/coffee shops there.

26. Go to a concert at Carnegie Hall.

27. Go to a concert at Lincoln Center.

28. Go to the Big Apple Circus if it's in town when you are.

29. Visit the New York City Public Library at 5th Avenue and 42nd Street. Have your pictures taken with Patience and Fortitude, the famous library lions.

30. Sample as many different ethnic foods as you can. It's safe (more or less) to eat the food from the street vendors, most of it is really good.

31. Don't buy a genuine "Rolex" watch or Louis Vuitton bag from a street vendor. In New York if a bargain seems too good to be true, it probably is.

32. Keep your eyes open and look at everything, especially the people.

33. Don't be offended by anything you hear, see or smell. New York is an amazing city, just enjoy.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Chris,

I am "the other NYC Native. In fact, at one point in our lives Rob and I lived just four blocks from each other in Queens, NYC a few blocks from the south end of the famous "A" train. We did not meet until an S2000 meet about a decade ago.

Coincidentally, you and I live about ten miles from each other. I live in the Clifton, VA area and would be happy to talk to you about some points of interest when visiting NYC. Feel free to PM me if you like with a phone number (of your choice) if you wish? Hotels in Manhattan are pretty pricey. Are you using miles / points, etc? If not I may have a good suggestion for you. It is up town and right on Broadway, and just a few blocks walking distance from Central Park. We stayed there a few years ago and considered it a bargain by NYC standards.

If you know where and where NOT to go hopefully you will come home loving New York. It is unlike any other city in the world in so many ways. Suggestion: Take your appetite!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I stay at the Renaissance Times Square.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-square-hotel/
Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

There NOTHING I would want to see in NYC for $400-$500 a night (at least that's the rates I'm seeing).

I've been there a few times on the 'company's' tab but as for going there on my tab, no thanks. I can find much better ways to spend money than $10 coffees, etc.

But that was a very impressive list Rob.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
There NOTHING I would want to see in NYC for $400-$500 a night (at least that's the rates I'm seeing).

I've been there a few times on the 'company's' tab but as for going there on my tab, no thanks. I can find much better ways to spend money than $10 coffees, etc.

To each his own, but you don't know what you're missing.

Thanks for the compliment. There's a lot more than just my list to see and do. New York is a great city. Well worth the visit.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
Originally Posted by jukngene' timestamp='1375835133' post='22710660
Chris,

I am "the other NYC Native. In fact, at one point in our lives Rob and I lived just four blocks from each other in Queens, NYC a few blocks from the south end of the famous "A" train. We did not meet until an S2000 meet about a decade ago.

Matt,

I don't know if Chris has time to tour the boroughs, but I'm sure you'll agree that there's almost as much to do in Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island as there is in NYC.

Some people think that one of the most beautiful vistas is the view of the VZ bridge from the Belt Parkway. I think the Manhattan Skyline from the promenade in Brooklyn Heights is magnificent. I love New York.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04

They hold the prices high to keep out the riffraff.

Quick Reply: Looking for recommendations on what to do on a tourist weekend to New York