S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Looking for recommendations on what to do on a tourist weekend to New York

Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1375846023' post='22710911
There NOTHING I would want to see in NYC for $400-$500 a night (at least that's the rates I'm seeing).

I've been there a few times on the 'company's' tab but as for going there on my tab, no thanks. I can find much better ways to spend money than $10 coffees, etc.

But that was a very impressive list Rob.

They hold the prices high to keep out the riffraff.
That's me. On rare occasions I get sucked into one of those $75 for breakfast places and I usually find they have the worst service in the world.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

We aren't big city people, but I like Rob's list. Maybe someday we'll do a few things on that list, but I need to find a cheap place to stay. I'm with dlq when it comes to dishing out that kind of money. It's not in the travel budget anyway.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great ideas. Only two items I would add would be a visit to the Cloisters in the Bronx and Orchard St. on Sunday (most stores are closed Saturday)

The Lower East Side

The bargains aren’t what they used to be in the Historic Orchard Street Shopping District, which basically runs from Houston to Canal along Allen, Orchard, and Ludlow streets, spreading outward along both sides of Delancey Street. Prices on leather goods, shoes, luggage, linens, and fabrics on the bolt are still good; and the district is a nice place to discover a part of New York that’s disappearing. Come during the week, since many stores are Jewish owned and close Friday afternoon and all day Saturday.

The artists and other trendsetters who have been turning this neighborhood into a bastion of hip have also added a cutting edge to its shopping scene in recent years. You’ll find a growing—and increasingly upscale—crop of alterna-shops south of Houston and north of Grand Street, between Allen and Clinton streets to the east and west, specializing in up-to-the-minute fashions and edgy club clothes, plus funky retro furnishings, Japanese toys, and other offbeat items. Among them are Reed Space, 151 Orchard St. (tel. 212/253-0588), a cool “lifestyle boutique” home to local and international designers, along with art, music, books, and magazines.

Before you head into the Orchard Street thicket, pick up a shopping guide at the Lower East Side Visitor Center, 54 Orchard St., between Hester and Grand streets (tel. 866/224-0206; Subway: F to Delancey St.). Or you can preview the list and learn all things LES online at www.lowereastsideny.com.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...#ixzz2bJuRT4tU
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow!

Thanks all. Give me a day or two to digest and I'll be back with more questions.

Chris
Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Chris,

This afternoon I thought of a few more things for you to do. By the way, I meant to tell you that 5th Avenue is the border between the West and the East. Uptown is anyplace north of where you're standing and downtown is anywhere south of where you're standing. If you're lost just look for the Empire State Building. If the streets are lower than 34th street you're thought to be downtown, higher than 34th you're uptown. If you're on an East street (East 14th for example) you're east of 5th Avenue and if a west street you're west of 5th. Broadway runs diagonally across the Manhattan, starting on the West Side uptown and ending on the East Side downtown.

34. Take a subway to the Grand Central Station on 42nd Street and Park Avenue. Its a 100 year old New York landmark (actual name is Grand Central Terminal, but real New Yorkers call it Grand Central Station) and one of the most beautiful Beaux-Arts train stations in the world. Its recently been renovated and restored to its old time glory. When there you can kiss your wife/girlfriend under the same clock that Robert Walker kissed Judy Garland under in the 1945 movie "The Clock".(Not a great movie, but I'll watch anything with Judy Garland in it).

35. Have a hot pastrami on rye with a schmear of mustard, a sour pickle and a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda at Katz's Delicatessen on Houston (proper pronunciation is House-ton not Houston) and Ludlow Streets. Ask for it extra lean. They'll probably charge more for extra lean, but it's worth it. Have a real, old time potato knish with it. You might want to try the Matzo Ball soup too.

36. After Katz's walk a few hundred feet down Houston (remember its House-ton) Street to Russ & Daughters, Appetizing since 1914. All kinds of great things to nosh on especially the chocolate covered jelly rings and the malted milk balls.

37. Take the subway (D or N train) across the Manhattan Bridge to DeKalb Avenue. Have the original world famous cheesecake at the original Juniors. Their burgers are pretty good too, but the cheesecake is the last word. While you're in Juniors take a look at the "Brooklyn Dodgers" wall.

38. Take a short cab ride across the Williamsburg Bridge to Peter Luger's Steak House on Broadway, Brooklyn. Its pretty much the same as it was when it was established in 1887. Some of the waiters look as if they've been there since the beginning, and they won't hesitate to insult you and/or yell at you. Besides, they know what you want better than you do. The steaks make it all worthwhile. Among the best I've ever had.

39. If you want to stay in Manhattan and still want a steak go to the Old Homestead Steak House on 9th Avenue near West 15th Street. Great aged steaks. As good as Peter Luger's and also among the best I've ever had. Old Homestead is in the heart of the old Meat Packing district. Today its a very hip and trendy area. You might want to hang around and visit some of the clubs. I've heard that Dylan Prime is an excellent steak house too, but I've never tried it myself.

40. Take a walk to the Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace on East 20th Street between Broadway and Park Avenue South. It's a beautifully restored brownstone run by the U.S. Park Service. It's faithful to the details that were there when young Teddy Roosevelt was a boy. A tour through the house will amaze you. Liz and I lived in our loft 1 block away on East 20th Street and 5th Avenue. Back in the day, 5th Avenue between 14th and 23rd Streets was the menswear district (my shop was across the street from my loft. I could see my cutting tables from my front windows). Today the area is very trendy and is known as the Flat Iron District. Look at the Flat Iron Building on the corner of 5th Avenue and 23rd Street where Broadway intersects both. There are a few good small restaurants in the area and a few clubs as well. Across 5th Avenue on West 20th Street between 5th and 6th is the photo district. Many photographers live and work there.

41. Unfortunately CBGB & OMFUG is now gone and the Bowery has been gentrified, but you can still find some of the wonderful old seediness if you look closely enough. Besides, this is the old lighting district and restaurant supply district. While not as great as before, there's still some of the old stores to look at. The old "Alphabet City" area (Avenues A, B & C) which was at one time a no mans land is also in the process of being gentrified. Nothing much to see there yet, but in a few years it will be a great area.

42. Go to Radio City Music Hall. I think America's Got Talent will be there from August 7 to Sept 18. Not my cup of tea but the theatre is magnificent and if you can catch a show by the Rockettes see it. Aside from the fact that they dance so well, they're all beautiful. Unfortunately you probably have to go in the fall or around Christmas time to see the Rockettes.

43. If you're into books you have to visit The Strand Bookstore at Broadway and East 12th Street. They carry new books but specialize in used and hard to find books. They claim to have 18 miles of books and have been there since 1927. It is the perfect old time book store, crowded, musty, dank and full of treasures. Liz and I used to spend hours there.

More as I think of them.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Seeing the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall is one of fond memories I have of NYC; that and attending the Ed Sullivan Show when it was at it's peak.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Rob, I'm taking your list the next time I go to the city. Bravo!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Rob, I'm taking your list the next time I go to the city. Bravo!
Let us know when you plan on being there and maybe Liz and I will meet you and Barbara.

We love New York and would move back in a minute if we could. As it is we're only 30 miles and 45 minutes (sometimes 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic at the GW Bridge) away. We go into the city whenever we can.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ralper
35. Have a hot pastrami on rye with a schmear of mustard, a sour pickle and a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda at Katz's Delicatessen on Houston (proper pronunciation is House-ton not Houston) and Ludlow Streets. Ask for it extra lean. They'll probably charge more for extra lean, but it's worth it. Have a real, old time potato knish with it. You might want to try the Matzo Ball soup too.
If you go there look for the table (sign above) where the famous scene from the movie "When Harry met Sally" was filmed. Here is a link in case you forgot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZluzt3H6tk
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Seeing the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall is one of fond memories I have of NYC; that and attending the Ed Sullivan Show when it was at it's peak.
I agree with your prior posts more. If it were me, I would go to Boston, or New Orleans.

Jon

Quick Reply: Looking for recommendations on what to do on a tourist weekend to New York