S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Looking for Weed Trimmer suggestions

Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts
Default Looking for Weed Trimmer suggestions

I have a large yard with trimming needs in every corner, so electric corded ones are not on my list (I have one but it takes way to much cord to use). Weight is my next biggest issue, so I'm looking for the lightest gasoline powered trimmer that's reliable. Gasoline is lighter than battery powered ones based on what I've read. I've also read curved is light than straight and to avoid the split-shaft style. Currently I have a straight split-shaft Troy Bilt and its become impossible to restart; but, its 14 years old and owes me nothing and I do hate its weight.

Brand wise, I'm leaning towards Stihl based on my experience with their chain saw and leaf blower; perhaps the FS-38 model but the reviews seem mixed. The Stihl commercial grade trimmers get great reviews but they should for $400 or whatever.

Since I don't subscribe to CR, I'm not sure what they rate as the better ones for 2018.

Any suggestions are welcomed, I truly hate hard starting products!

Last edited by dlq04; 05-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,512 Posts

I have a Stihl FS-90 and have had no trouble with it. It starts first time every time. Currently it is fitted with a saw blade for cutting down some of the larger brush next to our house.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Well Dave I have a Honda that worked pretty well for a long time.
But honestly I'd seriously look at battery now.
A few years back I got a bunch of the 18V porter cable tools.
My wife's favorite is the reciprocating saw for trimming branches.
It's light and quiet with zero intimidation factor unlike the chain saw.

More importantly make sure it has an easy bump feed and a easy spool load capability.
The only thing I hate about my honda is it is a manual feed. I have to stop and pull the reel out and stretch the string.
But it doubles as a brush cutter. which was the trade-off.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Scoots that FS90 looks like a good one; commercial grade it seems. Weight is a real issue for me these days due to arthritis; at 12 lbs thats more than I want. I can't seem to find the exact weight on the one I've been using but its apparently 15 to 18 lbs. All I know is its too heavy and at this stage too hard to start. So I'm hoping to find something in the 10 lb. area.

Bolt the gasoline ones are actually lighter than the battery, which was a surprise to me. So there's that weight issue again. You might consider looking into a head swap. I watched a video today from a guy who has a lawn service company. He did not care for the head on the Stihl but felt it was far and away the best trimmer, so he put an Echo head on and loves the combo. I actually have a variety of heads and the current one I like is not a bump style; it has arms on it that you insert short trimmed string into. Its really effective for trimming along the many brick garden borders we have.

I need to stop at our local Stihl store and talk to them about which model might work best for me.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

I have a Worx battery operated trimmer/edger and blower. Free spools of line for life. I don't have a large property but the Worx works for me. Battery life is good. Lightweight.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Dave the other thing you can look at is a shoulder harness to support the weight at the center of mass on the trimmer shaft..
My honda has that. Your frame will not notice the weight anywhere near as much.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Dave the other thing you can look at is a shoulder harness to support the weight at the center of mass on the trimmer shaft..
My honda has that. Your frame will not notice the weight anywhere near as much.
Good suggestion; I have one for my current one but it did not work well with a straight shaft. I'm sure it would have been better with a curved shaft.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Scoots that FS90 looks like a good one; commercial grade it seems. Weight is a real issue for me these days due to arthritis; at 12 lbs thats more than I want. I can't seem to find the exact weight on the one I've been using but its apparently 15 to 18 lbs. All I know is its too heavy and at this stage too hard to start. So I'm hoping to find something in the 10 lb. area.
With the shoulder strap the trimmer can be balanced to make it easier to handle.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
With the shoulder strap the trimmer can be balanced to make it easier to handle.
Bolt beat you on that suggestion. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:35 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I am on 5 acres and I also have a Honda. I am amazed it starts on the first pull after winter storage.

The only other thing I would add is getting industrial grade trimming cord or string. Don’t use the cheap Wal Mart stuff. It makes a big difference.
I also use chaps or shin protection if I am really going in deep; same thing you use for hiking in brush or weeds. Don’t forget eye protection. Every now an thing something will zap me in the snoot.

Quick Reply: Looking for Weed Trimmer suggestions