S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A man has to know his limitations.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I was just thinking about this thread. For all of our complaints and concerns, it's better to get older than not to.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I'm still getting used to retirement. I am not one of those that says they don't know how they had time to work. I get bored. A lot. I gave several wineries a resume to work part time in their tasting room, and heard nothing. (It's a common job for retirees around here) Waiting to hear from the police department to work as a volunteer. I am determined, however, not to sit in front of the TV day after day. I'm waiting for the darn rain to stop so I can ride my bike again. I rarely ride on the streets, we have a great walking and biking trail going up the Napa Valley, and I can't wait to get back on it. Do you have bike trails Bill? I'm not worried about cars when I ride on it as there are none. Just give it a lot of thought, and some planning. Sounds like you have hobbies to keep you busy. Unfortunately I am not handy with tools, or artistic in the slightest. And I'm a crappy golfer. But I don't miss the pressure of my old job.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 911 Likes on 538 Posts

I've never had any risky hobbies.

In the past, I've done lots of counted cross stitch, sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, cooking and baking, some furniture refinishing...nothing risky at all.

Now, in retirement, I am not doing much of those hobbies at all. (We are remodeling our kitchen, so lately we are not even cooking anything very elaborate in our crock pot, small convection oven, and portable induction counter top burner.)

In retirement, I have been doing genealogy and taken up exercise classes...strength classes, line dancing, and Zumba. I had never done line dancing or Zumba before retirement, but thought I would give it a try, and I am enjoying the classes a lot. I like exercising that way much better than using exercise machines!

I am hoping to continue those classes for many years to come. In my line dancing classes, there are many ladies in their mid-90's. The mother of one of these ladies was, at one time, the oldest person alive in the U.S., and the second oldest person alive in the world. She lived to be 114 years old! That lady in my line dancing class will be 97 years old this year, and you would never guess she is that old!

The other day, as my husband was getting ready to go to work, he said to me, "It is almost 7:00. You better get up."

My response..."Why? My exercise class doesn't start until 1:30."
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I have found that in retirement it is as important to maintain your social self as your physical well being. Suddenly a large percentage of the time you spend interacting with others is greatly reduced, as you are no longer working with others on a daily basis. This is even more true for those of us who are not members of a church or a fraternal organization. I participate in Thai Chi classes and participate in a pool league and I am always on the lookout for other group activities. And of course, I have my many friends here on s2ki, the only real "social networking" I do.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by tof
I have found that in retirement it is as important to maintain your social self as your physical well being. Suddenly a large percentage of the time you spend interacting with others is greatly reduced, as you are no longer working with others on a daily basis. This is even more true for those of us who are not members of a church or a fraternal organization. I participate in Thai Chi classes and participate in a pool league and I am always on the lookout for other group activities. And of course, I have my many friends here on s2ki, the only real "social networking" I do.
I think that is very true about the social interactions. I think that is why I like taking classes at our "senior center." I enjoy interacting with the other people there. I could use the exercise machines there, too, but that just does not appeal to me as much as taking classes.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Such great responses. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Going to a senior center is for old folks. I have not accepted that I am one of them, even though I am about to leave my 60s.
I joined SIRS (Seniors in Retirement) last summer, but I think I am in the lower 10% age bracket.
It's just hard for me to accept my age, even though I feel it getting up out of a chair, or trying to do things I never gave a second thought to before. Am I in denial?
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Going to a senior center is for old folks. I have not accepted that I am one of them, even though I am about to leave my 60s.
I joined SIRS (Seniors in Retirement) last summer, but I think I am in the lower 10% age bracket.
It's just hard for me to accept my age, even though I feel it getting up out of a chair, or trying to do things I never gave a second thought to before. Am I in denial?
I know senior centers have some good classes and the price is usually quite inexpensive. However, for now, I'm sticking with the YMCA. I hang out with people younger than I am, some my age and some older. Several of the ladies are in their 70's and you would never know it! They are active, social and keep up with the happenings. I think hanging out with only old people (which we are, ) makes one old.

I recall an older couple who lived next door to me in a multi family home. They moved to a senior apartment (I've told this story before). They regretted their move and said they should have "stayed where there was life."
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
I know senior centers have some good classes and the price is usually quite inexpensive. However, for now, I'm sticking with the YMCA. I hang out with people younger than I am, some my age and some older. Several of the ladies are in their 70's and you would never know it! They are active, social and keep up with the happenings. I think hanging out with only old people (which we are, ) makes one old.

I recall an older couple who lived next door to me in a multi family home. They moved to a senior apartment (I've told this story before). They regretted their move and said they should have "stayed where there was life."
I go to our "senior center," which is part of our municipal parks and recreation department. It is only 1 mile away from our home, so extremely convenient. In fact, our "senior center" no longer uses the word, "senior" in their name. And, you don't have to be a "senior" to go to classes there. They have a very wide variety of classes and interest groups there. Unfortunately, the nearest YMCA is about 5 miles away. Many of the classes that I take are free, and the ones that do have a fee are very reasonably priced.

The people in my classes do not seem "old" at all, although many are in their 80's and 90's. They are not your typical 80 or 90 year olds.

I remember when I first started going to line dancing, I was trying to get to know people, and I asked one of the ladies how long she had been doing line dancing. She paused, and then said, "Well...let me see...I guess about 75 years. She is around 95 years old, but you would never know it. I find these older ladies a big inspiration to me, knowing that it is possible to stay very active and social well into your 90's.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Given that I'll have more time soon, I printed up the schedules for the two YMCA's where I attend classes. I will have many opportunities to attend classes in AM, PM and if I'm ambitious AM and PM. My town has a small senior center. I won't be going there. The next town over has a senior center/rec center, but I'm not sure how it works for non residents. I'm happy with the Y. One is about 6-8 miles away, the other more like 15+, but that's OK, I don't mind the drive and I enjoy the classes. I'll even enjoy the drive to the one that is further away, once weather improves. I'll take the S2000, top down!

Quick Reply: A man has to know his limitations.